351 Mustang

393 stroker need to know everything

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 09:32 PM
Venomantidote95
4th Gear Member

END of point on the 347, built right with a spot on balance job, studded everything with 10:1 will hold up to about 10lbs tuned and last quite a while pending you have a sound block to start with! how can i say for sure we done one a yr ago 347 tfs topend with a blower cam and a V-1 10lbs boost still running!

you can get 450-500 from a 347 many different ways just depends on your budget!

Another point you cant beat cubes in a relative term! a 393 with less h/c/i n/a to n/a will make more torque and hp!

Points to ask yourself...
Budget
power goal
cars current state chassis etc
do i have roughly 1500 for the swap

Answer those and you`ll be closer to getting what you want!

NOT ALL 351w blocks are good blocks, certain years are the high capacity blocks with 3/4 in main webbing!

The others are only about 3/8 thick and break about like the 5.0 but you can squeak a minute bit more out of them!
Old 01-02-2013, 02:44 PM
Fordfoxbody88
1st Gear Member

Default good info

Originally Posted by Venomantidote95
END of point on the 347, built right with a spot on balance job, studded everything with 10:1 will hold up to about 10lbs tuned and last quite a while pending you have a sound block to start with! how can i say for sure we done one a yr ago 347 tfs topend with a blower cam and a V-1 10lbs boost still running!

you can get 450-500 from a 347 many different ways just depends on your budget!

Another point you cant beat cubes in a relative term! a 393 with less h/c/i n/a to n/a will make more torque and hp!

Points to ask yourself...
Budget
power goal
cars current state chassis etc
do i have roughly 1500 for the swap

Answer those and you`ll be closer to getting what you want!

NOT ALL 351w blocks are good blocks, certain years are the high capacity blocks with 3/4 in main webbing!

The others are only about 3/8 thick and break about like the 5.0 but you can squeak a minute bit more out of them!
- okay i have a little more than 1500 and im still saving up more and my car is my daily driver and i want to get about 500hp up to 550, i would really like to do the 347 and have it set up so that later on down the road i can put a supercharger on it. so do you think a kit from summit with with forged pistons and forged rods and a scat 9000 cast crank will hold up to 500-600 hp. i really just want to use my stock block get 10-1 cr a kit lik that and put some aluminum heads on it and be able to supercharge it and not blow it up is that possible and keep the rpms a lik 6 or below
Old 01-02-2013, 08:13 PM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fordfoxbody88
okay i have a little more than 1500 and im still saving up more and my car is my daily driver
You'll definitely want to scrape some more cash together. Gotta pay to play, horsepower isn't cheap. Nice flowing heads alone, which you'll need with the stroker, will set you back ball park $1000-$1500.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:07 PM
Fordfoxbody88
1st Gear Member

Default in time

Originally Posted by Duncan_GT
You'll definitely want to scrape some more cash together. Gotta pay to play, horsepower isn't cheap. Nice flowing heads alone, which you'll need with the stroker, will set you back ball park $1000-$1500.
yea haha i know heads are expensive but i found a aftermarket aluminum heads for 700. http://baltimore.craigslist.org/pts/3425198274.html i know they arent name brand heads but i think they should work for what i need, does anyone know if i get that i get that kit and use a stock block and maybe stud everything and get aftermarket caps and maybe a few other things do you think it could with stand a supercharger if it has like 10:1 cr or more ideally 9:1 cr? anyone have any input, i know one guy said it should be fine as long as its tuned and balanced properly
Old 01-03-2013, 09:13 AM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

That price was for new heads lol, used heads are cheaper like you found ^^. You would need to measure everything, stud everything, have a spot on tune, correctly matched parts, and still a bit of luck I think to be able to make a supercharged 347 on a stock block survive awhile. I definitely wouldn't spin it up to 6~6500 like you could a 351w based build. And I would keep boost low, dont think of pumping 15 lbs into it. The build you're talking about is going to be expensive
Old 01-03-2013, 03:11 PM
Fordfoxbody88
1st Gear Member

Default good info

That price was for new heads lol, used heads are cheaper like you found ^^. You would need to measure everything, stud everything, have a spot on tune, correctly matched parts, and still a bit of luck I think to be able to make a supercharged 347 on a stock block survive awhile. I definitely wouldn't spin it up to 6~6500 like you could a 351w based build. And I would keep boost low, dont think of pumping 15 lbs into it. The build you're talking about is going to be expensive
ya i thought they might be reman heads but those could be good heads i think they would be good, my car carb right now but i would like to make it fuel injected again, but i only want a small blower on it, like only push 6 pounds of boost at the most, im also going to get athing to set it so i cant go above 6000 rpms and i want to keep it a 550 hp or lower. i want to get it at 9:1 cr and stud everything on the motor and get better main caps. if i use a stock block and a cast scat 9000 crank and forged pistons and forged rods do you think it could hold because i have a 79 ford truck 302 block im going to use with it, any in put with that and a small blower that only puts lik 5 pounds of boost
Old 01-03-2013, 09:38 PM
Venomantidote95
4th Gear Member

CGM motorsports the guys name is Bert that you will talk too, i have used a few sets of his heads they are nice quality for the money!

They are a procomp casting and he does the machine work and sets them up to your application.

You cant beat that for the heads you get anywhere else.
http://www.dssracing.com/347_SX_rota...p/ra347sxu.htm

These kits are really nice for the money and you can get 550-600 out of them balanced!

Like stated a couple of times, good core, stud the major parts on the engine, a spot on balance job, and the right setup you will be happy, tuning and rpm will be the key to engine life on the stock block! @ 10:1 dont think of going over 10lbs of boost! The CGM head is a 64cc chambered head with that 347 kit you`ll be roughly 9.5:1 so you could squeeze out 12psi maybe lol.

Doing a setup like this isnt really for the noob engine builder but can be done with ease.
You need the tolerances and clearances right and good quality parts by the time you get it all buttoned up you may be you`ll need about 4500-5k for the build if you can do it yourself.

Find someone that has a few stroker builds under there belt and ask for tips!

The 79 block wont be any stronger than the stock 5.0 blocks!
Old 01-04-2013, 05:49 PM
Fordfoxbody88
1st Gear Member

Default thanks

Originally Posted by Venomantidote95
CGM motorsports the guys name is Bert that you will talk too, i have used a few sets of his heads they are nice quality for the money!

They are a procomp casting and he does the machine work and sets them up to your application.

You cant beat that for the heads you get anywhere else.
http://www.dssracing.com/347_SX_rota...p/ra347sxu.htm

These kits are really nice for the money and you can get 550-600 out of them balanced!

Like stated a couple of times, good core, stud the major parts on the engine, a spot on balance job, and the right setup you will be happy, tuning and rpm will be the key to engine life on the stock block! @ 10:1 dont think of going over 10lbs of boost! The CGM head is a 64cc chambered head with that 347 kit you`ll be roughly 9.5:1 so you could squeeze out 12psi maybe lol.

Doing a setup like this isnt really for the noob engine builder but can be done with ease.
You need the tolerances and clearances right and good quality parts by the time you get it all buttoned up you may be you`ll need about 4500-5k for the build if you can do it yourself.

Find someone that has a few stroker builds under there belt and ask for tips!

The 79 block wont be any stronger than the stock 5.0 blocks!
thanks where do you think i can get my motor balanced my fly wheel and harmonic balancer? would that be a spot on balance? and how much horse power do you think i would put out with a 10:1 cr and good flowing heads and a 750 holly double pumper? and then that with a supercharger
Old 01-04-2013, 06:50 PM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fordfoxbody88
thanks where do you think i can get my motor balanced my fly wheel and harmonic balancer? would that be a spot on balance? and how much horse power do you think i would put out with a 10:1 cr and good flowing heads and a 750 holly double pumper? and then that with a supercharger
Find a reputable machine shop where you live and have them do it. Are we talking 347 or 393?
Old 01-04-2013, 09:24 PM
Fordfoxbody88
1st Gear Member

Default 347

Find a reputable machine shop where you live and have them do it. Are we talking 347 or 393?
im talking 347, how should i go around balancing it so it doesnt vibrate apart at higher rpms pushing 500-550 hp. like how should i buy the kit and how will the machine shop balance it. will the machine shop balance flywheel crank and balancer all together? or should i jus buy the kit from them with the balancer and fly wheel already at 28oz and have the machine shop blance the crank or jus buy a unbalanced kit and take all of it to the machine shop. if i buy a unbalanced kit will it come with the balancer and flywheel but just all unbalanced?last what would be a good set up for a 347 from the kit to buy and the heads cam other thing i need to make about 450 hp then what else could i put on to make between 500-550 with a blower if that sounds possible by jus adding a blower

Quick Reply: 393 stroker need to know everything