351 Mustang

99-04 GT 351w project car

Old 11-15-2015, 08:40 AM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

The 8.8 will be fine as long as it dont hook real hard and you are not always dumping the clutch doing burnouts. the trans from a 4.6 car will will not bolt to a pushrod engine the bell is different unless you are gone to move to a t56 that has a bolt on bell. So you are gone to need a push rod motor trans which will push you back to a old T5 which are junk at best IMO Maybe a tremec could be found and used like tko600 or a tko500 the t45 and 3650 trans in the Mustangs of those years are not the best either even if they would work. If it was mine I would do a nice auto with a stall and save myself some headaches.as far as suspension the same norm as any car with that kind of HP better control arms for the rear subframe connectors. you may have to put springs in the front due to the added weight from the 351 all stuff is like a wait and see thing when you are make the changes that you are. the push rod engine will not bolt in place where the 4.6 was as far as K member but it will bolt into a v6 k member so keep that in mind. so get the v6 k member or a aftermarket set up. but that is gone to run up the budget. If you have emissions where you live it is not gone to pass unless the car is a 99 and that is gone to be very hard to get it to pass the only year that body came with a 351 was 99 and Saleen had one out. how they got it to pass I dont know. unless you know someone that will pass it or you covert it to e85 there are stipulations on that also. good luck.
Old 11-15-2015, 08:21 PM
cwill

Ok I got most of that but am a little confused on a couple things.
I can use a k member from a v6 99-04 mustang? Or were you taking about a different year. And with the transmissions you listed that might work, were those out of 99-04 mustangs? Or were they a different year?

Thank you so much for the info guys.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:00 AM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

99-04 v6 k member will work. T45 and the 3650 are from the 99-04 years for mod motors the bell cant be swapped and the dont bolt to push rod engine the t56 which is a 6 speed can be used with a bell swap and some other parts but they are very $$$ the tko 600 and tko 500 can be used and are A/M trans. the t5 well they came in all kinds of cars and with a bell swap and some other changes can be used but are not real strong
Old 11-24-2015, 09:16 PM
cwill

So if I am going to upgrade the suspension, rear end (possibly), and transmission, doesn't it make sense to just buy a v6 automatic? It will be cheaper to buy and I can use the K-member that is already in it right? I like the body styling that the 4.6 has but I can always replace the hood scoop and side scoops.

Also, how much extra work will it be if I buy an automatic and then put a manual in?
Old 11-25-2015, 06:04 AM
88TTOPFOX

Originally Posted by cwill
Also, how much extra work will it be if I buy an automatic and then put a manual in?

A lot of work and money. transmission, clutch, shifter, pedal assembly, cables, computer etc. At least 1200 in parts. I'm sure its been done, but I don't think its very practical in your situation.

Why not just buy a foxbody? The 351 just drops right in em nice and easy. This would be easier and cheaper instead of trying to bring a modular mustang back in time?? You could build the engine you have and do all the necessary suspension mods for within your budget. The transmission would be the only week point at 400-450hp, but thats the price you gotta pay to go fast!
Old 11-25-2015, 10:59 AM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

V6 auto trans will bolt up but the trans is controlled by the ECM so you have to buy a stand alone system for it or put a full manual valve body in the trans. thats what i would do if I was running a 4r70w anyway. As for the manual like said it is a bunch of extra parts to buy if I was gone to go manual I would find a car that is a stick then just get a trans to use that way you have all the pedals already there. The 4r70w are good strong trans. but it is a auto. you seem to be shying away from the auto as lots of guys do. All but me I love a well built auto with a good stall and a bunch of boost in front of it.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:22 AM
cwill

Originally Posted by 88TTOPFOX
A lot of work and money. transmission, clutch, shifter, pedal assembly, cables, computer etc. At least 1200 in parts. I'm sure its been done, but I don't think its very practical in your situation.

Why not just buy a foxbody? The 351 just drops right in em nice and easy. This would be easier and cheaper instead of trying to bring a modular mustang back in time?? You could build the engine you have and do all the necessary suspension mods for within your budget. The transmission would be the only week point at 400-450hp, but thats the price you gotta pay to go fast!

I do not mean to offend anyone but the fox body is not my favorite body style. I understand that putting a 351w in the 99-04 will be a lot more difficult, but I am up for the challenge and have a lot of support. I know I don't know much but I do have a passion for this stuff and am very excited to do this!

So it sounds like my best option is to buy a v6, manual. Upgrade brakes, suspension, rear end, computer. I can use the k-member that comes in the v6. And then I will have to spend more for a better tans (the t56 sounds like the best option).

So there is no real benefit for me getting a GT, correct?
Old 11-25-2015, 11:25 AM
cwill

Originally Posted by uedlose
V6 auto trans will bolt up but the trans is controlled by the ECM so you have to buy a stand alone system for it or put a full manual valve body in the trans. thats what i would do if I was running a 4r70w anyway. As for the manual like said it is a bunch of extra parts to buy if I was gone to go manual I would find a car that is a stick then just get a trans to use that way you have all the pedals already there. The 4r70w are good strong trans. but it is a auto. you seem to be shying away from the auto as lots of guys do. All but me I love a well built auto with a good stall and a bunch of boost in front of it.

I am torn between auto and manual. I always have loved driving a manual, I feel like more in control. And because I do not on racing this car or anything I think I will enjoy a manual more. But my dad had an auto with a stall when he had this engine in his 67 mustang. And he loved it, but he use to race a bit.
Old 11-25-2015, 08:25 PM
88TTOPFOX

Originally Posted by cwill
I do not mean to offend anyone but the fox body is not my favorite body style. I understand that putting a 351w in the 99-04 will be a lot more difficult, but I am up for the challenge and have a lot of support. I know I don't know much but I do have a passion for this stuff and am very excited to do this!

To each there own I suppose. Looks like you know what you want and you just need to do it. Get r done!
Old 11-26-2015, 07:14 AM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

cwill I am with you I think the new edge body looks soooo much better then a fox I have a 2000 v6 car that my daughter wreaked needs the front sheet metal and lights and a pull on the front. That some day I am gone to make my next hot rod LOL well maybe and I want to do a Coyote swap into it I think.