Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.
Old 10-23-2015, 03:29 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

GT H-Pipe Installation

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 06:34 AM
SuperNac
1st Gear Member

Default GT H-Pipe Installation

So I just purchased a take off GT H-pipe that has the cats removed. My question is when installing this will it be ok to cut my Y off behind the cats and just use 2 band clamps to attach the H or should I go have it welded.

I'm kind of hoping to just clamp it up so that it's more versatile for changes in the future if need be.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:35 PM
95cobby
2nd Gear Member

I responded to your PM. I'll post here for others just in case.

See pictures below.

Just for a visual, before you take the stock Y-Pipe off hold the GT H-pipe directly under it lining up the end where the over axle pipes will connect. Make a mark on the other side near the cats where the H-Pipe meets the Y-Pipe. Cut the Y-pipe a few inches from the mark and slide the H-pipe over top. The stock Y-Pipe is 2.25" and the GT H-pipe is 2.5" therefore it will slip over but you can not use clamps. It will have to be welded to prevent leaks.

Before you weld anything make sure you have the exhaust fully aligned meaning the mufflers aren't sticking 6 inches out from the bumper, haha. But if you lined up the H-Pipe with the end of the Y-Pipe and made your marks you should be good.

The hanger rods will have to be extended as well. Cut the straight parts off the Y-pipe and weld them on the end of the H-pipe hangers.

That should help.

Last edited by 95cobby; 09-03-2008 at 05:16 PM.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:44 PM
SuperNac
1st Gear Member

Sweet,

Thanks for the response. Just out of curiosity why can't it be clamped with exhaust sealant will it still leak?
Old 09-03-2008, 04:47 PM
95cobby
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SuperNac
Sweet,

Thanks for the response. Just out of curiosity why can't it be clamped with exhaust sealant will it still leak?
When you slide the H-Pipe over top of the Y-Pipe there is still a gap in there. Since the H-Pipe is solid and not a slip joint, a clamp will not close that gap. If you have a welder or a friend with one do it right and weld her up. If not I would guess no more than $30 at a shop to weld the pipes and hanger rods.

Don't bother with reducers either.

Last edited by 95cobby; 09-03-2008 at 04:50 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:59 AM
joeymustang
2nd Gear Member

i bought a complete gt take-off exhaust, cost me $45 to have all welded up, no leaks FTW
Old 12-27-2008, 08:58 PM
48prerunner
2nd Gear Member

I can weld it like it says here but why couldnt you use a lap joint band clamp for a 2.25"? would be the same thing I think.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 12-27-2008, 09:34 PM
afixer
5th Gear Member

ford has eliminated the hangers t the trany , so you don't have to worry about them (they are one of the drone causes). also on the stock exhaust is 5 parts the "h" section w/cats the 2 mid pipes and the 2 mufflers. so install clamps just past the "H" and then you can remove the mufflers and the mid-pipes if you need to do any work on the car without cutting anything. i remember in the beginning when a few of us installed duals. when the tank issue came up a few guys were screwed because the dealer would cut the pipes to replace the tank and then leave it up to them to patch it back together.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:17 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

The only drawback about welding all that together is that wif you need to remove the pipes for any reason (such as for Ford replacing the fuel tank for a TSB), then that will be harder to work with.
But welding it up is the best solution. If you use the strong Ford band clamps (like one you have on your stock exhaust after the Y), they wont leak and still allow for removal if necessary.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:59 AM
48prerunner
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tx_zstang
The only drawback about welding all that together is that wif you need to remove the pipes for any reason (such as for Ford replacing the fuel tank for a TSB), then that will be harder to work with.
But welding it up is the best solution. If you use the strong Ford band clamps (like one you have on your stock exhaust after the Y), they wont leak and still allow for removal if necessary.
I planned on using the ford clamps after the H just for that reason if i wanted to or needed to remove the trany or whatever, also leaving the back over the axle stock clamps stock so i can change mufflers when the mood hits me have both gt take offs and California specials. But still not sure if i want to weld the front part to whats left of the original Y pipe or clamp it. welding would be cheaper, but clamps easier lol I'll have to see how tight the two pipes fit together, I know the ford x pipe looks like it uses clamps but might just be for ease of install
Old 12-28-2008, 12:46 PM
afixer
5th Gear Member

welding the front would be fine if you mean before the "h" the factory setup it that way. one big manifold with the cats from the flanges to the "H"

Quick Reply: GT H-Pipe Installation