Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Passenger tail light problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 12:08 AM
Olando

Default Passenger tail light problem

So all of a sudden my passenger tail light only works when I unlock the doors remotely and when I have my headlight turned on. But when press on the breaks the passenger side will not get brighter and when i lock the doors only they don't light up. I have searched the forums as best I could and couldn't quite find anything that matched my problem.

I've checked the fuses and i don't see anything blown but i could have missed something. Would there be something else i need to check or am i just way off base all together?
Old 04-20-2009, 08:47 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Did you keep your car outside during a heavy rain? Check to see if your carpet is damp. Pull the carpet on the passenger side just under the black box to see if it is wet under there. It could be the dreaded leak. Not all Mustangs have that problem but many do. There is a TSB on it of you find your carpet wet.

So far (knock on wood) I have not had that problem. I do keep a car cover on it, so that may help prevent it.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:18 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Check for the ever elusive corroded SmartJunctionBox
or have a dealer look at it for the water leak and
associated water logged SJB.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:40 PM
Olando

Originally Posted by 07 Stang
Did you keep your car outside during a heavy rain? Check to see if your carpet is damp. Pull the carpet on the passenger side just under the black box to see if it is wet under there. It could be the dreaded leak. Not all Mustangs have that problem but many do. There is a TSB on it of you find your carpet wet.

So far (knock on wood) I have not had that problem. I do keep a car cover on it, so that may help prevent it.
I've been reading about this leak in different threads hopefully i'm not in that boat

There hasn't been any heavy rain just snow mostly. The carpet hasn't been damp from what i can tell and i looked in the kick panel and nothing seemed corroded and it didn't smell musty or anything. Would snow melting cause the same effect?
Old 04-20-2009, 06:41 PM
Olando

Originally Posted by 157db
Check for the ever elusive corroded SmartJunctionBox
or have a dealer look at it for the water leak and
associated water logged SJB.
The smart junction is in the passenger side kick panel? I'lll take a close look at that as well. Thanks!
Old 04-20-2009, 06:56 PM
whitealexander
1st Gear Member

if its a thick snow its the same as heavy rain..
Old 04-21-2009, 07:04 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Olando
I've been reading about this leak in different threads hopefully i'm not in that boat

There hasn't been any heavy rain just snow mostly. The carpet hasn't been damp from what i can tell and i looked in the kick panel and nothing seemed corroded and it didn't smell musty or anything. Would snow melting cause the same effect?
Unfortunately, yes melting snow will cause the same effect. Make sure you check under the carpet where the padding is. It just may not have soaked through yet. If you find it damp, do take it in to your Ford dealer and give them the TSB code for it.