Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Can dual exhaust harm the engine?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 06:19 PM
Jeremy
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Can dual exhaust harm the engine?

Yeah, paying retail price blows.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:34 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Thomas Ford

Hello?? They're MUSCLE CARS remember. +1 to the guy who said other V6's come with duals.
Tom
And if other V6's drive off a bridge would you drive off too? LOL!

There is no real performance advantage to putting duals on our 4.0L's when they are NA. Traditionally V6 Mustangs have been single exhausts. Early V8 Mustangs actually came with either dual or SINGLE exhausts. If you like the looks of duals.. that's fine... but that is really the only reason to put them on... so to answer the OP question, no it won't hurt.. but then again it really won't help either...

While duals don't mean GT, a single screams V6.... LOL!
Old 07-25-2006, 06:47 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Thomas Ford

Hmmmmm. 90% voted for duals. Nuf said.
ummm... The question was will dual's hurt my engine... the poll should be 100%!! LOL! Duals won't hurt your engine... LOL
Old 07-25-2006, 06:51 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: ricklmesa@***.net

ORIGINAL: blackfoot

lol WE ARE NOT DRIVING HONDAS

lol we have enough displacement to make power off the headers alone with no exhaust system lol
Yea, pretty much what I was trying to say LOL
Some of you guys crack me up...larger diameter pipe (too large) will slow the velocity down of the exhaust system and make the system inefficient at scavanging. Meaning it won't keep the exhaust leaving the combustion chamber at the same speed (velocity) thus not allowing as much of the exhaust to be well...exhausted out of the combustion chamber to allow more air and fuel in the next cycle.

This is offset at Higher RPM and when the car is in motion.

That's also why LONGtube headers work better than shorties. The longtube headers retain heat better and thus increase the velocity of the exhaust gasses better than shorties.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:42 PM
Thomas Ford
2nd Gear Member

I did'nt get larger pipe just the standard size when I got my duals. No problems at all.
Tom
Old 07-25-2006, 07:54 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Derf00

ORIGINAL: ricklmesa@***.net

ORIGINAL: blackfoot

lol WE ARE NOT DRIVING HONDAS

lol we have enough displacement to make power off the headers alone with no exhaust system lol
Yea, pretty much what I was trying to say LOL
Some of you guys crack me up...larger diameter pipe (too large) will slow the velocity down of the exhaust system and make the system inefficient at scavanging. Meaning it won't keep the exhaust leaving the combustion chamber at the same speed (velocity) thus not allowing as much of the exhaust to be well...exhausted out of the combustion chamber to allow more air and fuel in the next cycle.

This is offset at Higher RPM and when the car is in motion.

That's also why LONGtube headers work better than shorties. The longtube headers retain heat better and thus increase the velocity of the exhaust gasses better than shorties.
you are a 100% correct,but you must realize, we can run off the headers and still make some ponies.. we have 2L displacemtn making up 3 cylnders. exiting one 2 1/2 inch diameter hole.. its still bottle necking..

of course if you were cammed, lift and duration alone running off the headers would then promote better power off the headers..

NA the scanvenging effect is wanted for economy and efficientcy , but when looking for performance scavenging gets in the way..ESPECIALLY when your force induced