Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Another MRT believer

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 11:25 PM
Dean53
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Another MRT believer

I got my MRT on tonight. Probably took me 45 minutes or so. The hardest part really is getting the old exhaust....funny how that works! It was the same way with my 2001 ranger. The MRT really sounds great I think. It makes the stang sound like a sports car now! It got even better as the engine warmed up some. I cant wait to hear it as it breaks in some more. I had to do a little adjusting to get the tip to keep from touching the bumper, but its all good now. Upon first test drive, it does feel that the car has woken up a little. All I have as far as intake so far is a K&N drop in, so I imagine that when I spring for the CAI and Tuner combo it will make it even better! But so far, the Butt Dyno likes it! Thanks to everyone for their input on exhaust choices. I will post some pics this weekend when I get my wheels put on. I got a set of 18x9 bullitts in anthracite color to match the tungsten grey color. I am very excited.

Is anyone from Michigan going to be at the Woodward Dream Cruise in Mid August? I will definitely be attending. I grew up in Birmingham, and have many buddys in the area. I'll be out in the stang and will be cruising with my best friend who has a 2001 cobra! Hope to see some of you there!

-Dean
Old 07-25-2006, 11:38 PM
joshetc
2nd Gear Member

sounds pretty sweet. I've been leaning largely toward the MRT myself lately, probably wont get done til sept though since I've already pretty much decided on the CAI / tuner for august.. and I've gotta try to take things slow

So it really doesn't sound bad even newely installed? From what some people have said it almost makes them seem horrible before they break-in. Something I wouldn't have much of a problem dealing with but also something my girlfriend would have to be aware of before installing it
Old 07-25-2006, 11:42 PM
mindfury
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dean53

I got my MRT on tonight. Probably took me 45 minutes or so. The hardest part really is getting the old exhaust....funny how that works! It was the same way with my 2001 ranger. The MRT really sounds great I think. It makes the stang sound like a sports car now! It got even better as the engine warmed up some. I cant wait to hear it as it breaks in some more. I had to do a little adjusting to get the tip to keep from touching the bumper, but its all good now. Upon first test drive, it does feel that the car has woken up a little. All I have as far as intake so far is a K&N drop in, so I imagine that when I spring for the CAI and Tuner combo it will make it even better! But so far, the Butt Dyno likes it! Thanks to everyone for their input on exhaust choices. I will post some pics this weekend when I get my wheels put on. I got a set of 18x9 bullitts in anthracite color to match the tungsten grey color. I am very excited.

Is anyone from Michigan going to be at the Woodward Dream Cruise in Mid August? I will definitely be attending. I grew up in Birmingham, and have many buddys in the area. I'll be out in the stang and will be cruising with my best friend who has a 2001 cobra! Hope to see some of you there!

-Dean
Yea, the guys who put mine on had a hell of a time getting the old one off too. Took them the same amount of time too, about 45 minutes, 30 of which was getting the old one off. I drive 100 miles daily to and from work, so it'll probably break in fairly quickly. I do note on extreme bumps, I can hear a banging coming from the rear, might have to adjust it, think there is 1/2" clearance from the bumper...

Woodward Dream Cruise... I worked at Eaton in Galesburg last summer, heard good things about it...

Old 07-25-2006, 11:44 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

-Dean
Very cool!!!

Yes, I'll be at WDC... will be hanging out in Mustang Alley (i think MRT will be there too!) http://www.motorcityterminators.org/mustangalley/

Old 07-25-2006, 11:48 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mindfury

-Dean
Yea, the guys who put mine on had a hell of a time getting the old one off too. Took them the same amount of time too, about 45 minutes, 30 of which was getting the old one off. I drive 100 miles daily to and from work, so it'll probably break in fairly quickly. I do note on extreme bumps, I can hear a banging coming from the rear, might have to adjust it, think there is 1/2" clearance from the bumper...

Woodward Dream Cruise... I worked at Eaton in Galesburg last summer, heard good things about it...

I originally had the same problem... Try loosening up the mid-pipe and rotating a bit... see if you can get some more clearance going over the axles and stuff... Scott did it for me and it fixed the knock right up! LOL
Old 07-26-2006, 12:46 AM
Blk06Pony

Just registered for the WDC. I will also be in Mustang alley. Hopefully I'll see some of you there. I'm wondering where they stick the V6 guys. Think we can sneek into the "snake pit" LOL

Mods:
K&N CAI
Aero-turbine exhaust
MRT windshield decal
Old 07-26-2006, 02:19 AM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

ill be at mustang alley too. If you see a brown haired sixteen year old about 6' drivin a vista blue 6er its gonna be me.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:52 PM
Dean53
1st Gear Member

ooh...mustang alley sounds like a place i need to visit! Perhaps I will see you there! Thanks again for all the advice.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:34 PM
mindfury
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: scrming

I originally had the same problem... Try loosening up the mid-pipe and rotating a bit... see if you can get some more clearance going over the axles and stuff... Scott did it for me and it fixed the knock right up! LOL
Well, I took it back down to the shop today to see if they could adjust it, they told me unfortunately that's "the way it is." I mentioned the mid-pipe but I got the impression they thought I didn't know what I was talking about.

One of these days I'll try it myself...

Old 07-31-2006, 05:18 PM
SPOOK R/T
2nd Gear Member

I got mine installed this week end. I like it lot. Mine did the same thing at hwy speeds. When the car would hit bumps. I took it off Sunday and but 3 washer's on the rear hanger bottom bolt. And I noticed where the exhaust pipe goes over the rear suspension. It would hit the L shaped bar that runs side to side. I took a little of the black 1/4 thick rubber pad they had above the muffler. And 3M glued it to the L shaped bar. And that took care of the rattles in back. The Butt Dyno says it does feel a faster. Thanks Scrming for doing the leg work on this muffler.

Quick Reply: Another MRT believer