Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

ford racing axle-back

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 05:39 AM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

Default ford racing axle-back

I was wondering if anybody has tried the ford racing axle-back. I am interested in getting an axle-back, but i really dont want something that is very loud (weird huh?)

Also, i am not too interested in performance, so please dont say MRT...i hate too much noise (no offence, i know it gives great gains)
Old 07-26-2006, 09:46 AM
danno

Default RE: ford racing axle-back

ORIGINAL: chrisc

I was wondering if anybody has tried the ford racing axle-back. I am interested in getting an axle-back, but i really dont want something that is very loud (weird huh?)

Also, i am not too interested in performance, so please dont say MRT...i hate too much noise (no offence, i know it gives great gains)

I installed mine on Sunday and it's fairly loud. I rode to work with my wife and she didn't seem to notice it in the morning, but she left work with a headache and she let me know it was bothering her! It's smooth below 2000 RPM but it starts to roar beyond that.

danno
Old 07-26-2006, 10:21 AM
mdlesk
3rd Gear Member

Did you get the single or duals?
Old 07-26-2006, 10:56 AM
djl0657
2nd Gear Member

Apparently it's the same muffler as the BORLA, which is reported to be louder then most other applications. I did the GT take-off single and am thrilled with the result, nice gurgle at idle and sounds great when you get on it. Reading between the lines, you might want to go that route.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:22 PM
LX200
4th Gear Member

I've got it, and it's NOT quiet. I don't mind the sound, because I wanted it to be somewhat loud. Loud, but not painful. After 700 or so miles, it is starting to sound nice. Had a bit of rice pop when I first installed it.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:23 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

djl0657 Date 7/26/2006 8:56:50 AM
[snip] I did the GT take-off single and am thrilled with the result, nice gurgle at idle and sounds great when you get on it. Reading between the lines, you might want to go that route.
I too recommend the GT take-off muffler(s). I have a single on mine, and I love the sound. Not too loud (good for a conv), but offers a very unique performance-oriented sound. My wife does not mind riding in the car, but she complains about the '66 being too loud (it is, but I love it that way). But I digress...

The nice thing about the GT take-off muffler(s) is the inexpensive buy-in price. They are very cheap, and if you don't like them (too quiet for some folks I guess), you can sell them to another 4.0L Stanger.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:27 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

thanks guys, i just ordered some gt ones

(much cheaper too lol)
Old 07-26-2006, 02:36 PM
solo500
1st Gear Member

I am getting the single for $180 on eBay. It is just the muffler I want, and it is made by Ford & Borla.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:02 PM
mdlesk
3rd Gear Member

Me too, 205 shipped
Old 07-26-2006, 11:32 PM
hataap
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LX200

I've got it, and it's NOT quiet. I don't mind the sound, because I wanted it to be somewhat loud. Loud, but not painful. After 700 or so miles, it is starting to sound nice. Had a bit of rice pop when I first installed it.
i agree. mine just hit 700 miles and it has broken in nicely. There was some popping when i first put it on and there was a lot of drone at the higher rpms. I love it though. Its pretty loud...but not too loud. I dont know..its all up to your own hearing preference. People talk about the MRT setting off car alarms...well, I too set of alarms with the ford racing axleback.

Quick Reply: ford racing axle-back