Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Four-Tens or Three Seventy-Threes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 01:31 AM
Stckman
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Four-Tens or Three Seventy-Threes?

This is a pretty torn discussion... but i guess im going to go with 3.73 anyway. i drove on the freeway today with my overdrive off... i was too afraid to even go past 80! i was at 3500 rpm at 80... thats 1000rpm difference that with overdrive on... really creepy i thought the engine was gonna blow up or something.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:09 AM
vb101
1st Gear Member

I'm going with 4.10's mainly because the Ford Racing 3.73's are made by Motive and they are increadibly noisy in my car, the FR 4.10's are not made by Motive. And before anyone says anything, yes they Motive 3.73's were installed correctly. I watched the shop install them and looked at the contact pattern myself, it was absolutely text book perfect yet the gears howl so loudly I can't hardly hear anything else. Maybe there's a trick to installing the Motives that few mechanics can do or know about. Whatever the problem with the Motives they are coming out and the Ford Racing 4.10's are going in. First and second gear will be very short but I think third and fourth will more than make up for that. With the 4.10 the manual will be spinning about 3000 rpm's at 80 mph and about 2700 at 70 mph. That's not too bad. Of course I will be replacing the driveshaft with the updated 06 one. The original 05 V6 drive shafts did not have retainer clips on the u-joints which has lead to some failures. The updated drive shaft should be good enough until someone comes out with a carbon fiber drive shaft, which I will get.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:19 AM
Stckman
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: vb101

I'm going with 4.10's mainly because the Ford Racing 3.73's are made by Motive and they are increadibly noisy in my car, the FR 4.10's are not made by Motive. And before anyone says anything, yes they Motive 3.73's were installed correctly. I watched the shop install them and looked at the contact pattern myself, it was absolutely text book perfect yet the gears howl so loudly I can't hardly hear anything else. Maybe there's a trick to installing the Motives that few mechanics can do or know about. Whatever the problem with the Motives they are coming out and the Ford Racing 4.10's are going in. First and second gear will be very short but I think third and fourth will more than make up for that. With the 4.10 the manual will be spinning about 3000 rpm's at 80 mph and about 2700 at 70 mph. That's not too bad. Of course I will be replacing the driveshaft with the updated 06 one. The original 05 V6 drive shafts did not have retainer clips on the u-joints which has lead to some failures. The updated drive shaft should be good enough until someone comes out with a carbon fiber drive shaft, which I will get.
see now you have me nervous. nobody has ever complained abotu a particular brand gears causing noise. are all the 3.73s made by ford racing? i also notice your lsd is auburn. you didnt like the TLOK?
Old 08-11-2006, 11:56 AM
sonicblue05
3rd Gear Member

the overdrive off thing keeps your tranny from shifting to 5th. i dont have any problemcruising in 4th, helli can hit the governer in 4th lol your engine is not going to blow lol. (i have a manual btw)
Old 08-11-2006, 11:23 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stckman

This is a pretty torn discussion... but i guess im going to go with 3.73 anyway. i drove on the freeway today with my overdrive off... i was too afraid to even go past 80! i was at 3500 rpm at 80... thats 1000rpm difference that with overdrive on... really creepy i thought the engine was gonna blow up or something.
you will be under 3000 with a 5th gear of .75 and a 26" tall tire with 4.10s

ORIGINAL: Stckman

ORIGINAL: vb101

see now you have me nervous. nobody has ever complained abotu a particular brand gears causing noise. are all the 3.73s made by ford racing? i also notice your lsd is auburn. you didnt like the TLOK?
t-loks are not preformance parts, they are factory replacement parts for the ford ranger/bronco 2/eploder or w.e, t-loks are fine with some basic bolt ons, i would never run any kind of f/i on one, my vote would be detroit true trac, which has no clutches to wear out like t-lok or auburn
Old 08-12-2006, 12:37 AM
vb101
1st Gear Member

I bought the auburn because it's stronger than the t-lok. If I had to do it all over I think I would get the Detroit Trutrack instead. It's not much more expensive than the Auburn and is stronger to boot. From what I've read the Motive gear 3.73's are difficult to install and not have gear whine. I think there is a certain way they are supposed to be installed. I read the instructions and the shop installed them they way the instructions said. A lot of people on this forum got the Ford Racing 3.73's installed, and they are made by Moitive, but have not complained about the noise so maybe I'm just unlucky and got noisy set. It's been said that if installed 'correctly' they don't whine but as for what 'correctly' means I don't know because the shop that installed mine did the installation by the book. When they were finished the gears had a text book perfect contact pattern should not have been so noisy. Like I said maybe I was just unlucky and got a bad set. Even so I if I ever decide to change the gears again I will avoid Motive at all cost but that's just me.

The funny thing is it's only been fairly recently, within the last year I think, that Ford Racing went to selling the Motive 3.73's. The shop told me that for a couple of months last year they couldn't get the 3.73's. Maybe that's why, Ford was switching to selling the Motive 3.73's.