Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Exhaust Removal Troubles...

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 01:12 PM
kindred169
2nd Gear Member

Default Exhaust Removal Troubles...

So I got my new Flow AT single axleback to replace my stock muffler. I went to install it last night but ran into several problems. I managed to undo the clamp, and the two of the three hangers (they sure don't give much clearance to work on those do they?). I had zero access to the rubber damper hanger (you know, the welded-on hanger). I just couldn't get to the bolts. I also found that I couldn't loosen the muffler on the pipe after undoing the clamp. Eventually it got too dark to work on, so I had to give in and put it all back together.

I have to get an oil change anyway (once I have a garage at my next apartment I'll be doing that on my own), so I figure I'll just give in and have them install it for me. Having read all of the posts about how easy it is to do, I just feel like I'm missing something. I AM doing it without jacking it up, so maybe that's part of the problem? Suggestions?

Also, alot of people said they didn't use the third (rubber damper) hanger when they installed their Flow's, but mine looks like they added a third hanger bar to be used with it. Did they change the design?
Old 08-11-2006, 03:31 PM
kindred169
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Exhaust Removal Troubles...

bump
Old 08-11-2006, 03:44 PM
fitbikeco
3rd Gear Member

hah wow where do i begin
all the hangers are fairly easy to get off if you have the right tools
i sugest a socket rench kit if your not using one already
i also sugest that you use a socket extention
all of the hanger bolts can be reached using these tools
once all the hangers are off then the muffler just slides off

as far as the third hanger being on the american thunder i have no idea i guess they changed the disign
i didnt have that prob with the mrt + the mrt gave me alot more room to work around and put the hangers back on
Old 08-11-2006, 03:55 PM
petepete
5th Gear Member

It doesnt really slide off youll need to wiggle it back and forth a bit. you should be able to get all the hangars with a 13mm and 15 mm and a extender on there. When i did single i just barely jacked up the car just before the tire left the ground. made it much easier
Old 08-11-2006, 07:44 PM
sonicblue05
3rd Gear Member

yeah i couldn get to the top hanger with the socket, so i used a box end wrench. worked ok, took a while. and once you get the hangers off just spin the mufflere so the bung touches one side of the pipe then the other and keep doning that while applyling steady pressure, it will move slow at first then just pop off. and be careful its heavier than it looks. lol

funny story:
when i was 15 my dad bought me a 69 gmc shortbed stepside, sweet truck, still got it. needed a new starter, or fourse he didnt tell me how to do it he just said fix it. so i get under there and i take all the bolts off, its kindastuck so i put my feft hand under it and pulll...........didnt know it weighed like 40 lbs lol broke all four fingers on my left hand when it hit the concrete floor. Not fun
Old 08-12-2006, 12:06 PM
goldenglory18
2nd Gear Member

i just put om my MRT and i had some trouble getting the stock one off too.
i just used some liquid wrench to lubricate the pipe and did some twisting to get it off...
some of those brackets are a pain!
Old 08-13-2006, 10:00 PM
tacatc
2nd Gear Member

I know this has probably been asked before but I just bought a set of GT take offs plan on just going single for now. Anyway before they come in do I need to get any special clamps before I install it. I understand everything is suppose to match up just didn't know if I needed anything else.

By the way I bought them from Chrisc of this forum, he is a stand up guy. There was a problem with the original shipping cost and he refunded my money within an hour. We got everything straight on shipping and he is shipping the next day. If anyone on here considers dealing with him in the future you can do so with confidence. Highly Recommended.
Old 08-13-2006, 11:19 PM
Horrific_Ending
4th Gear Member

Yeah they will match up. The only thing about the GT muffler is that it doesnt have the third clamp like the stock 4.0 muffler. But it will still sit in the hanger snug.