Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

are dual superchargers possible?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 02:59 AM
bennihill
2nd Gear Member

Default are dual superchargers possible?

hi guys, i wondering about investing in a dual supercharger system but since they don't make one, i was going to try and create one. plus i was wondering if this would be safe. plus i was wondering if it was possible to run two superchargers that have different psi boosts. i think you can put dual superchargers on a gt because of the differently configured s/c's i found. the first one is made for a v6 and i would have no problem getting it and installing it being that it is a standard configuration. they make the same one for gt's ( the stage 2 runs 9 psi). but for the gt's, they also make a whipple twin screw supercharger that mounts on top as an alternative (which runs 6 psi non intercooled, and 10-12 psi w/ the HO system). - and i know all the ugrades like bigger fuel injectors, a bigger fuel rail, and crap like that is needed, but sticking to the supercharger thing right now, in case anyone kinda strays off point-

since the whipple intake runs the simliar line of the air intake (like a stock) airbox, you can just get the first s/c and hook it up to the whipple. so when the air goes through the first s/c, theoretically it then goes through the second whipple s/c and then into the engine. and i thinks its possible on a gt because the way they designed the mounting of the s/c (i mean w/ the s/c's pulleys being located in different spots), all you would have to get is a custom sized serpinetine belt. theoretically right?

anyways, this is my problem, does anyone know of a company out there who produces a simliar s/c system like the whipple twin screw for the v-6?

https://www.rpmoutlet.com/05v6ati.htm - this is the standard s/c setup they make for the gt and the six

http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/...sp?ProdID=1208 - this is the setup that they make for gt's only but i would like

to find for the six
Old 08-16-2006, 03:01 AM
Twister
5th Gear Member

Default RE: are dual superchargers possible?

it will work if you have 2 engines
Old 08-16-2006, 03:05 AM
bennihill
2nd Gear Member

just in case anyone didn't understand, the air goes through the first s/c and exits out of the first s/c. as it exits the first s/c, it enters the whipple s/c, then it exits the whipple s/c and goes into the engine to mix w/ the fuel.
Old 08-16-2006, 03:10 AM
Twister
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bennihill

just in case anyone didn't understand, the air goes through the first s/c and exits out of the first s/c. as it exits the first s/c, it enters the whipple s/c, then it exits the whipple s/c and goes into the engine to mix w/ the fuel.
a supercharger is based on impellor speed, it will not exceed the fastest impellor RPM...it is pointless to even try a pair of superchargers, it would be like wearing a pair of boxers and a pair of breifs, either way, your johnson is covered. Twin turbos are possible because there are two cylinder heads and two sources of exhaust, with twin turbos, you can run smaller shells to acheive the same boost as a single, bigger shell without having the lag
Old 08-16-2006, 03:42 AM
fazm
5th Gear Member

yes twin superchargers is possible.
saw a video of a 70s corvette on streetfire with two twin screw superchargers on it. Just takes a custom intake manifold to mount both of them on there, and the a custom pulley system... custom lots of things lol..
Old 08-16-2006, 04:28 AM
petepete
5th Gear Member

there are also 2 other options o_O
Creat something like VWs Turboand supercharger system that way you get thre greatness of a turbo but the no lag of a super. And then theres that 2 gear supercharger but i dont know if thy released it yet read about it a while ago
Old 08-16-2006, 04:48 AM
bennihill
2nd Gear Member

thanks, fazm, thats the other thing i was thinking (w/ the whole custom dual intake setup). even if you have dual turbos, dual superchargers will eat them up any day (lag factor). at least in the 1/8 mile anyways, depends on how much boost your running.

and pete pete, i knew a guy who used that same setup in a srt-4 ricer but he had stage 3 setup for everything. but he had dual turbos w/ a s/c and a custom chip/ecu or something like that. because i know his s/c had a computer cutoff at 52 mph and then his dual turbos were at max pressure and then they kicked in. i had to give it to him, that was the only car i've seen burn out in all 5 gears with 4 people in it and a subwoofer system setup in the back. i think he was running low 9's. oh, got it, his name was sgt. mcclease, he was stationed in germany with me. anyways, just wanted to say i've seen that setup before but i'll want to stick with either dual superchargers or maybe a single.

EDITlus i wouldn't want a turbo anyways, the're nice n all but too many ricers have em. it's like too common, you know? and then maybe in 6 months i'll be able to beat rygen (if i can get it built in that time, where i live they don't have any customizing shops like that that can fabricate something like that)
Old 08-16-2006, 05:05 AM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

whatever you are trying to do...it sounds expencive...[:@]
Old 08-16-2006, 06:43 PM
bennihill
2nd Gear Member

i know chris, but you have to pay for power like that.

you guys, i was also thinking of using the whipple s/c intake like regular but a few inches before the intake, cut a hole in the pipe, tap in the other s/c pipe, sort of like a y pipe configuration. what would your guys suggestion be on this?

i was just wondering if the pressure would be too much from the combined s/c's for the strength of the aluminum piping or the welding point.

plus i'm still looking for v-6 version of the whipple twin screw s/c. i would appreciate any knowledge dropped on me.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:06 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

You are thinking of DOUBLE superchargers not twin screw. Twin screw superchargers already exist. The Saleen is a twin screw. As for the whipple.... its not out yet, no one knows when it will be out, and it probably wont be up to par with everything else already out once it finally does come onto the market.

In theory, your idea would be awesome, however, there are already people that have thought of it (including me) and its not possible to make one like youre thinking. Youre thinking of taking normal air and compressing it to a certain psi by running it through 1 supercharger then pushing that compressed air into another sc and further compressing it. Say the air went in at 1 psi, and you compressed it to 4 psi in the first SC and then ran it through the other one further compressing it to 8psi. Yeah seems like a great idea, but for 1) you wont get the maximum out of both of them (you might end up with air roughly at 6psi in the end) and 2) it just doesnt work like that unfortunately. When you transfer that from 1 sc to the other youll lose compression because there is just no way to keep it compressed like that while moving it. Not to mention this would be expensive as hell to build, and it would probably never fit under the hood of a car... maybe more in a large room sized laboratory. If I were you, I would just buy a nice already marketed sc instead of trying to custom fabricate one because youll either end up blowing your engine up and possible killing yourself, or wasting a ton of money and screwing up your car in the process. JMO though, do as you wish. If you would like more detail check this out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercharger

Quick Reply: are dual superchargers possible?