Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

what oil and filter do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 05:52 PM
msulifter37
1st Gear Member

Default what oil and filter do you use?

Just wondering what everybody's favorite oil and oil filter is... i know royal purple is good oil and fram is NOT a good filter. so tell what is good....
Old 08-22-2006, 06:01 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

Default RE: what oil and filter do you use?

Using mobile one oil and filter. I wonder what the tech was going to do since I didn't tell him that I wanted synthetic oil... they just assume no one wants synthetic oil. [:@]
Old 08-22-2006, 06:37 PM
msulifter37
1st Gear Member

where is a good place to buy oil and a filter. im gonna change my oil in a few days when i get time. my uncle works for ford so he got me some 5w-30 Motorcraft oil. im gonna use that but in my past cars, ive always used fram filters at meijer after reading on here, i now know better. so where do you all buy filters? online? autozone? where?
Old 08-22-2006, 06:57 PM
LX200
4th Gear Member

Best deal around on Mobil 1 is at walmart. They have 5 quart jug they often sell for around $21.
Old 08-22-2006, 07:47 PM
Pimpin Pony
2nd Gear Member

well I have always bought motocraft filter, but I think I am gonna try that K&N oil filter the next time I change my oil... I am not sure where to get it... I will probably go to auto zone and see if they have it first since I get alot of that kind of stuff there... if not then I will probably froogle it and see where on the net I can get it for cheap. where do yall get that royal purple? one of my friends said that there is some guy in the town that I live in that sells the stuff for like $5 a quart... is that cheap? its the cheapest I have seen so far, but I havent really been lookin for it either. How much of a difference does it make?
Old 08-22-2006, 08:39 PM
BlackMagic1

Royal Purple is one of the best synthetic oils.If someone is selling it for $5 a qt ,yes thats REAL cheap!I've seen it usually 7.95-9.95 a qt.Is it worth the extra $$$ ? Thats up to each persons view and opinion.Hard to beat Mobil1, cheaper due to mass marketing, but a very good synthetic. I noticed at WalMart yesterday, a 5qt jug of 5w30 Mobil1 is $19.95. Thats pretty hard to beat!Only downside is they don't carry Mobil 1 filters,had to go to Autozone for that.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:36 PM
05BlackPony
3rd Gear Member

Going to change it tommorow!

K&N Gold filter (HP-2010)
And I'm going to go full synthetic! Mobil-1
I broke her in to 4000mi with regular Penzoil.
Just to make sure before I fill her up again, our sixers take 5qts right? [&:]
Old 08-22-2006, 09:51 PM
Pimpin Pony
2nd Gear Member

Well I will have to look into it then and see if that guy really has it for $5 a quart or if my buddy is pulling my leg. How much does it really help though? does it make the car run smoother or is it just better for the engine? does it add horsepower? is it worth the extra money or should I just use mobil 1?
Old 08-23-2006, 08:29 AM
HurricaneStang
4th Gear Member

Mobile One Oil/Filter Because its the official oil of Ford Racing
Old 08-23-2006, 10:09 AM
Dean Martin
2nd Gear Member

I'm trying the Mobil 1 Extended life with Motorcraft filters. Supposed to be good for up to 15K miles between changes. I'm changing it at 10K miles, and changing the filter between oil changes at 5K. I drive 32K miles a year, so I'll post someday how this works out. Already got 34K on the car.

Quick Reply: what oil and filter do you use?