Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

GT takeoff muffler?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 05:51 AM
truthseeker83

Default GT takeoff muffler?

hey guys, i just wanted to know if replacing the factory muffler with a gt takeoff muffler would void the factory warranty.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:00 AM
Skoshi42
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: GT takeoff muffler?

no cuz the GT muffler is made by Ford
Old 09-04-2006, 11:33 AM
HurricaneStang
4th Gear Member

Friend of mine that works at the ford dealership told me that ive i had a problem with my exhaust that it would be void since i switched out the muffler, well at least void anything to do with the muffler area.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:10 PM
celenztah
2nd Gear Member

Of course, as others here talk about flashing computer back to stock tuning and unbolting this and re-installing that prior to going to the dealership for service in order to keep warranty coverage... it would seem to me that the relative simplicity of swapping mufflers would make it worth holding onto the old one for just such an occassion?
Old 09-04-2006, 01:28 PM
HurricaneStang
4th Gear Member

Ya it just takes 25-30mns to swap so its not hard.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:20 PM
truthseeker83

what are the odds that the gt muffler would CAUSE something in the exhaust to break? And also, could anyone supply some information on HOW to swap out the mufflers? I'm somewhat illiterate when it comes to working on cars!
Old 09-04-2006, 02:58 PM
celenztah
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: HurricaneStang

All you do it take a 13mm socket wrench and unbolt the 3 brackets from the old muffler. Take a 15mm Deep Socket and unbolt the clamp to the exhaust pipe. Wiggle loose the muffler and slide it off. Then take the 2 brackets from the old muffler that hung the actual muffler and slip those on the GT muffler. Then bolt the clamp on and rehang the brackers. I didnt really have to stand on my exhaust to get it to clear, i have about an 1/8" from the bumper and had no problems with it. Just make sure that the bolts are tighened good. I had to retighten them after i took it out for a spin because i could here it rattling and i happened to burn myself on the muffler
That was from another thread on the topic. Check the sub-forum for V6 4.0L specific under Drivetrain (I think)... There should be even more info there.

Also, here is a link to a similar installation (using an aftermarket muffler, but you get to see the process to get the idea). It is reasonably well illustrated. I'm not the mechanical type myself, but I'll be getting a GT Muffler fairly soon and I'm willing to swap it out myself (but I do have a friend who owns a garage and might be free to help me out anyway.... hehe):
Muffler Swap
Old 09-04-2006, 03:19 PM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

I just bought a set of GT take-offs for my car ... I'm deliberating whether to go dual or single ... I'd hate to give Ford an easy-out for not honoring a warranty issue ... and it's gonna pretty hard to swap back from a dual ....
Old 09-04-2006, 03:22 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Skoshi42

no cuz the GT muffler is made by Ford
not true, that is like saying if you take the GT engine and drop it into our car, and our driveshaft breaks (which it probably will) it should be covered by ford

ORIGINAL: truthseeker83

what are the odds that the gt muffler would CAUSE something in the exhaust to break? And also, could anyone supply some information on HOW to swap out the mufflers? I'm somewhat illiterate when it comes to working on cars!
i assure you that if you put on the take-off muffler and one of your catalytic converters break in a completely unrelated way, they wont be covered
Old 09-04-2006, 03:28 PM
truthseeker83

Where can I order the GT muffler(s) for the cheapest possible price? And also, does it fit the opening in the v6 rear valence without requiring additional cutting or something like that? Thanks!

Quick Reply: GT takeoff muffler?