Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

GT Takeoff

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 05:34 PM
LL88
2nd Gear Member

Default GT Takeoff

I listened to the GT takeoff exhaust in the sound thread, and it sounded best to me, i was wondering how easy they were to install, if they were like the MRT's on ease of installation.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:59 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Default RE: GT Takeoff

When I installed my single GT take-off muffler, I backed the car so the rear hung out over the curb. I used my '66 to block the curb area, creating a safer work zone. I undid the hanger bolts and undid the clamp to the front of the muffler where it meets the pipe. It sprung free with little effort. There is a notch that you need to align the muffler with to the pipe. Slide the muffler on, but don't tighten the clamp. Attach the remaining hangers, and check for fit. My tailpipe actually touched the bumper, so I stood on the tailpipe and bounced the car up & down. That's all it needed. I tightened the muffler clamp and was on my way. Took me about 45 minutes, but I had a neighbor come over to supervise me while I worked (i.e. we were both drinking and talking - he stood while I worked).

Very easy install, and definitely worth it IMO...
Old 08-25-2006, 06:04 PM
tacatc
2nd Gear Member

I installed mine on Wednesday, it took about 40 minutes. It is simple and easy. Just realize that the GT only has two hangers instead of three on our stock one, but the two match up and everything fits nice and secure. I didn't even use a jack.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:23 PM
Ken Rogers
3rd Gear Member

I didn't use a jack, either. It took me 40 minutes also. Only tools required were a 13mm wrench and a 15mm wrench. I used combination wrenches with ratchet action, which made the job easy. There's very little room to work with, especially when you install that forward hanger.

I love the sound, too. I was going to put the second one on, but I'm actually really liking it the way it sounds now. Now I'm even more glad I got the V6 and not the GT. It's the smart choice. Lower purchase price, better mileage, cheaper insurance.

Ken
Old 08-25-2006, 07:54 PM
LL88
2nd Gear Member

How do the single GT takeoff sound? much deeper and throatier and louder then the stock? or is it hard to notice a difference
Old 08-26-2006, 12:34 AM
Ken Rogers
3rd Gear Member

Much better than stock. Noticeable for sure. Check out the exhaust clip section.

Ken
Old 08-26-2006, 07:34 AM
HurricaneStang
4th Gear Member

Installed mine last week Real Happy. Hell of a lot better sounding over stock. All you really need is a 13mm and a 15mm socket. The 15mm needs to be a deep socket to get it on the clamp bolt. Its alittle tight in some situations but not that hard. Take off the 3 brackets on your stock exhaust and unbolt the clamp. Wiggle the Muffler off of the pipe. Then take the 2 main hangers off of the stock exhaust and put them on the GT Take Off. Put the new muffler back on the pipe and bolt it down. Then hang the other 2 clamps and your done basically. Just make sure you got enough clearance so you dont melt you bumper. But when i was done i had a blast driven it down the block with no exhaust lol it gets kinda loud my neighbors werent too happy. Good luck and enjoy.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:37 AM
cportner

Definitely a worthwhile mod. The GT muffler not only sounds great but looks better too. I had a little trouble getting some of the stock muffer bolts off. The whole process probably took me about 1 1/2 to 2 hours but not bad considering I have absolutely no mechanical skill.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:41 AM
HurricaneStang
4th Gear Member

Ya it took me and my friend pry an hour and a half since we havent changed out a muffler yet. It was still fun lol it was raining that day so it couldve went faster but we had to take the time to lay out towels and make a canopy out of garbage bags. I like how the tip sticks out further it lokos alot better. You shouldve went and had fun with no muffler on
Old 08-31-2006, 04:55 PM
GIDDEUP
2nd Gear Member

Took me about 45 min to do as well. Just backed it up on ramps for ease of sliding under the car and installed it in a snap. As long as you know which way to turn a wrench this is a mod you can do.

Quick Reply: GT Takeoff