Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Next round of modificaitons...

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 12:59 AM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Default Next round of modificaitons...

Well, just got back from PowerHouse!!!! I must say, they are a great shop, never recommend something you don’t need, very helpful, answer your questions. And hanging out with Nav (another 4.0 owner) was cool too, unfortunately we didn’t have enough time to close the bar. Oh well…next time….

Anyway, thought I would post the list of modifications for this visit to PH, as follows:

· Precision Industries Torque Converter @ 3400RPM
· AEM Wideband install
· PowerHouse driveshaft w/safety loop
· K-Member Brace w/Engine TQ Limiters
· PH Panhard Bar
· TA Girdle

That’s it, oh, almost forgot….

· 11PSI Spring install!!!!
· Dyno tune for 11PSI

It’s time to get serious here, 4.0L SC’s going built motors, people hitting kick *** times on street tires…..so be it. The arms race continues……

….and don’t worry, I’m not beyond a built motor either….LOL, I may just have to look into that…or maybe I have already…..

I pick up the car next Saturday, and plan to hit Thompson Dragway the same day to see how she does.
Old 09-10-2006, 01:26 AM
pat6674u
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Next round of modificaitons...

You are the Greek god of the Mustang community. Congrats man! You'll be hanging with Z06 vettes and Lambos soon.
Old 09-10-2006, 01:38 AM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

11 psi....can you say 400hp rygen? when you gonna drive to michigan and take me for a ride?
Old 09-10-2006, 01:47 AM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Thanks guys. I will be in MI for FFW next track season.
Old 09-10-2006, 02:58 AM
LX200
4th Gear Member

Holy Moly... any idea what you have invested in this ride yet? How can the 4.0L take such abuse?? Have you blown an engine yet?
Old 09-10-2006, 11:35 AM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LX200

Holy Moly... any idea what you have invested in this ride yet? How can the 4.0L take such abuse?? Have you blown an engine yet?
Havent blown my engine yet, but I think I may have found a built 4.0 block that can take even more abuse. As for investment, well, I made a lot of mistakes early on, but after selling all of my old parts and recouping the mistakes, I was at the price of the GT I wanted when I got stella with performance and appearance packages. With this round of modifications, it has pushed me a little past that price. If you take the appearance mods out, I'm now matching the price.

I'll do a break down of cost after I catch up on all the threads this morning.

Also, keep in mind that lb for lb, boost is not the same for Turbo vs. SC. For engine stress, me running 8.5lbs of boost was more like a SC running 6lbs of boost. So, being at 11lbs of boost on the Turbo is more like an SC at 9lbs of boost.
Old 09-10-2006, 02:47 PM
TJ
4th Gear Member

Well, just got back from PowerHouse!!!! I must say, they are a great shop, never recommend something you don’t need, very helpful, answer your questions. And hanging out with Nav (another 4.0 owner) was cool too, unfortunately we didn’t have enough time to close the bar. Oh well…next time….

Anyway, thought I would post the list of modifications for this visit to PH, as follows:

· Precision Industries Torque Converter @ 3400RPM
· AEM Wideband install
· PowerHouse driveshaft w/safety loop
· K-Member Brace w/Engine TQ Limiters
· PH Panhard Bar
· TA Girdle

That’s it, oh, almost forgot….

· 11PSI Spring install!!!!
· Dyno tune for 11PSI

It’s time to get serious here, 4.0L SC’s going built motors, people hitting kick *** times on street tires…..so be it. The arms race continues……

….and don’t worry, I’m not beyond a built motor either….LOL, I may just have to look into that…or maybe I have already…..

I pick up the car next Saturday, and plan to hit Thompson Dragway the same day to see how she does.

Glad you went to 3400 over the 3000 GOOD decision, running a stall is also going to be a lot more fun to run at the track with the turbo and for some fun on the street!
The almost forgot 11psi post actually made my jaw drop (I thought maybe 9.5 or 10 psi ) Mr 8.5psi consevitive at first.LOL
Yep IMO you will put some distance now between you and the S/C boys more likely out of reach for a while and will most likely take a built motor to catch you on a stock motor!

Havent blown my engine yet, but I think I may have found a built 4.0 block that can take even more abuse. As for investment, well, I made a lot of mistakes early on, but after selling all of my old parts and recouping the mistakes, I was at the price of the GT I wanted when I got stella with performance and appearance packages. With this round of modifications, it has pushed me a little past that price. If you take the appearance mods out, I'm now matching the price.

I'll do a break down of cost after I catch up on all the threads this morning.

Could give a little more (some?) details on the motor you found along with what year it is?

You didn’t make any mistakes IMO it was R&D’ing you were doing and really was a lot of help IMO to us last year.

Also, keep in mind that lb for lb, boost is not the same for Turbo vs. SC. For engine stress, me running 8.5lbs of boost was more like a SC running 6lbs of boost. So, being at 11lbs of boost on the Turbo is more like an SC at 9lbs of boost.
Great post on the above agreed IMO less pressure on the bottom end the turbo doesn’t have to produce the higher unseen hp per S/C to produce dyno rated seen (s/c) rwhp this is one of the reasons that makes the turbo so attractive to me and makes it such a great match for the 4.0 using stock bottom end. One other thing I like IMO it makes full boost by 2900 and done making power by 5300!!!

Well rygen I never like to over estimate but in this case I will you might just might be the first (non pro) in the 11’s and not running at 12 psi, Hmmm wonder if Mike is setting up a very fat tune for you this first round or maybe not just a good safe tune for you to go for it. LOL

GOOD LUCK!!!

Old 09-10-2006, 03:17 PM
HurricaneStang
4th Gear Member

Rygen i would just like you to know.....Your my idol lol. You have one bad a$$ street machine. If only i had the budget to put half the parts on my car that you have lol.
Old 09-10-2006, 03:56 PM
TJ
4th Gear Member

Rygen could you post the Dyno sheet next week along with the AFR would be really interested to see it.

I am trying to resist buying a turbo and you are not helping!
Old 09-10-2006, 04:06 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Thanks guys!!!!

@TJ,

Thanks for all the input. Powerhouse uses a Mustang Dyno, so if you are ok with that instead of a Dynojet, then sure! I found a SSM block, just stock compression, but stronger internals for even more boost. I spoke to the wife, and we are putting some cash aside if I pop the motor. LOL. I did a bit of research and I don't like the idea of stroker or messing with the timing chains for these 4.0's. I'd rather just have a super strong motor and throw more boost at it. Less to configure, simpler and yeild the results I want.

I think 11's may be a stretch without drag shocks and some weight reduction. I'm not ready to do drag shocks on my daily driver, I need to call Scrming up and ask him how his long distance drives are on the drag shocks. I will also need to do the front BMR sway bar delete kit, and lighter rims. I think it's doable, but got some more to do to pull it off in an auto.

Yea, 12's with the turbo at 8.5psi....hard to resist. The Boss is still 2-3 years out, and the only other car I would consider is the TA concept, which isn't confirmed yet. So I'd figure I'd have fun with the 6 and suprise some people with it.

Quick Reply: Next round of modificaitons...