Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

K&N Drop-In + GT Take Off Muffler

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 12:02 PM
celenztah
2nd Gear Member

Default K&N Drop-In + GT Take Off Muffler

Alright, many of us read the thread entitled "take it from a guy who knows". Amongst a variety of interesting info provided, I took especial note of the warning against the use of "wet/oiled" air filters (be it drop-in or for a CAI) due to the potential of oil from the filter getting onto the MAFS (Mass Air Flow Sensor). The MAFS could/would misread air flow and send wrong info to PCM causing lean mix problems and/or could fail altogether leading to non-coverage under warranty for any related issues.

In summary, since reading that thread, I researched the issue with oiled air filters and came up with mixed results. Ultimately, I am personally of the opinion that I will continue using the K&N drop-in air filter, be very prudent when it comes to time to clean it and re-oil it and I will use CRC's MAF Sensor Cleaner with each air filter clean or change (more often maybe?). For me, I think the combo of this air filter, the GT Muffler, the CRC MAF Sensor Cleaner and prudent maintenance will help me enjoy my car a bit more than stock and without notable harm. IMHO only.

I've been running a K&N drop-in air filter for about 6k miles or more now. I bought a can of CRC MAF Sensor Cleaner last night, pulled the MAFS and cleaned it. The MAFS looked absolutely spotless to begin with (which I found quite encouraging), but I cleaned it (and its connectors) anyway. Afterwards, I actually noticed the slightest increase of overall responsiveness and smoothness (but could be my imagination).

There is a lot going on with respect to wet/oiled air filters and I will soon post a slew of links leading to the sources of my research covering a broad mix of opinions, facts and testimonials for both sides of this coin. I'll either add that to this thread or start a fresh one with those links.

I know I can ramble on. Thanks for bearing with me. [8D]