Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Difference between SCT Strategy and XCAL 2?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 08:29 PM
miket

Default Difference between SCT Strategy and XCAL 2?

What is the Difference between SCT Strategy and XCAL 2? I'm thinking of getting the Strategy... rpmoutlet has a desent package that includes the Strategy tuner and S&B CAI. Is there any feature or reason why an xCal 2 would be better. I get the sense that the Predator is not a good choice... can anyone elaborate why.
One last question, if I get the S&B cai and sct stategy will I also need to purchase custom tune to load?
Old 09-25-2006, 09:31 PM
petepete
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Difference between SCT Strategy and XCAL 2?

i dunno bout strategy vs xcal2 but my predator does suck
Old 09-25-2006, 09:47 PM
Evolution Performance
Former Sponsor

ORIGINAL: miket

What is the Difference between SCT Strategy and XCAL 2? I'm thinking of getting the Strategy... rpmoutlet has a desent package that includes the Strategy tuner and S&B CAI. Is there any feature or reason why an xCal 2 would be better. I get the sense that the Predator is not a good choice... can anyone elaborate why.
One last question, if I get the S&B cai and sct stategy will I also need to purchase custom tune to load?
Do NOT get the SCT strategy or S&B CAI from RPM Outlet. Their stuff is NOT Dyno proven, they don't even have a dyno! If you want the most power get the JLT V6 Intake and a SCT Xcal 2 for $525.00 shipped or the C&L V6 Intake and SCT Xcal2 for $565.00 shipped from me (Evolution Performance, Inc.) My tunes are real dyno proven custom tunes, just ask any MustangForums.com member that has my tunes!

Fred
Evolution Performance, Inc.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:01 PM
petepete
5th Gear Member

hmm
Old 09-25-2006, 10:48 PM
Puerto Rico 4.6
3rd Gear Member

strategy just means canned tunes from sct ...and that it can be used on a number of cars , not only mustangs. But if your looking for a good set up dont get that cold air, just ask boss244 he used to have it and changed to c & l . Either get an C & L , an AFE, or an AEM with a xcal2 from either Bamachips , Alternative Auto ,VMP Tuning or from " the only tuner that likes to blow his own horn " Fred at Evolution. This are all proven combos ...people here have tried them with good results.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:12 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

I'd like to add the TI w/Bamachips tune. It netted me some great NA runs. Here is a list I usually perscribe:

CAI/Tuner Combo

• Doug/Bamachips: XCAL2 and your choice of TI or C&L CAI. (When I switched to his tune for my old TI, it shaved off 3/10ths on my time, his daily driver is an auto as well, though I think he has several test mules/test customer cars at his disposal)
• Fred@Evolution: XCAL2 and C&L (Likes to toot his own horn, but the tunes are good if you can put up with the arrogance)
• AZDynoChip: XCAL2 and ? (don't know if they do the internet thing, they will tune any CAI and produce some of the highest dyno numbers)
• Lidio/Alternative Auto: XCAL2 and CAI (I did some research and several shops referred me to him for Automatics, his personal daily driver is an auto)
• Brenspeed: XCAL2 and C&L (another highly reputable shop)
• Justin/VMP Tuning: XCAL2 and ? (Considered one of the top dogs for the V6 stang community and collaborates with Doug on occasion to my knowledge, he’s also tested more CAI’s on the same dyno session than anyone I’ve seen so far, read about it here: http://www.v6power.net/vb/showthread.php?t=25551 )
Old 09-25-2006, 11:39 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Evolution Performance
Their stuff is NOT Dyno proven, they don't even have a dyno!
rofl
Old 09-25-2006, 11:44 PM
BigFloppy
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: petepete
Personally, I think my old Predator did a better job than the XCal doesn now... wanna trade?
Old 09-26-2006, 12:26 AM
Puerto Rico 4.6
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BigFloppy

ORIGINAL: petepete
Personally, I think my old Predator did a better job than the XCal doesn now... wanna trade?

That has to be a joke right[&:] the problem is probably in your tune..if you have a canned tune , get one from one of the major tuners mentioned...that should change your perspective. Predator....[:'(]
Old 09-26-2006, 02:02 PM
miket

I was considering going with the c&l but from what I understand I will need to remove it (replace with stock) and restore the oem tune when I take it to Ford for service... the car may not run with the origianl tune and C&l. I really want to avoid having to pay to have the cai swapped in and out and therefore I'm looking for one that will work with a factory oem tune... even it means sacrificing some hp. Any suggestions?

Quick Reply: Difference between SCT Strategy and XCAL 2?