Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Thinking about new exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 04:17 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Thinking about new exhaust

ORIGINAL: SOLDSHORT

if you're looking for a gt sound, go with a gt takeoff or a magnaflow, mrt will be way too loud for you.

Thanks! Just trying to find a balance between fun and my wife not killing me

We drive to my parent's.. which is about an hour drive. Last thing I want is for her to hate driving in the car. However.. I want more sound.. especially at idle.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:03 PM
ilduce321
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mdlesk

It's easier than it sounds. All it requires is two wrenches and you'll be suprised at how much lighter the MRT is. You can even do it from the ground, you don't even have to jack the car up a little. It's great! If you have any questions I can help. I put mine on in probably 30 minutes.
How do you like the MRT? I have the Flowmaster AT and I'm thinking about getting the MRT instead.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:14 PM
djl0657
2nd Gear Member

I have the GT take off muffler from a V-8 on mine. It is perfect for us, as I have a convertible and didn't want to be too loud. It sounds great at idle, sounds sweet when you get on it and it was cheap to do (I found a guy on the GT side of this forum who sent me his used GT muffler for shipping only).

No wrong answer here, although some of the guys have complained about the MRT being too loud.

Go to the forum entry with all of the exhaust clips on it.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:29 PM
mdlesk
3rd Gear Member

I absolutely love the MRT. You can't really here it in 5th gear. On the interstate I have to drive in 4th to hear it lol. Have you thought about the JBA Axle back for like $180?
Old 10-16-2006, 11:37 PM
4.0 Stang
3rd Gear Member

Check out the magaflow too.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:46 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

OK... MRT too loud. Magnaflow and Flowmaster good. GT muffler good too, but quieter.
Too many choices!
I am leaning toward the Flowmaster American Thunder now.
I think I have listened to about every clip on the internet.. and from what i can hear on my 12inch laptop, the MRT is sweet... but would have been a good choice for me about 10 years ago.

The Magnaflow sounds a little whinier than the Flowmaster..at least from what I have heard.

Can't tell the difference between the stock and a single GT on the V6.

Dual Magnaflows with an H pipe would sound really sweet .. but have to stick with a single exhaust for now.

Thanks for the advise. I'll let you know when I get the new one on.. what ever that might be.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:54 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mdlesk

I absolutely love the MRT. You can't really here it in 5th gear. On the interstate I have to drive in 4th to hear it lol. Have you thought about the JBA Axle back for like $180?
damn.. the JBA's sound good too. Thanks!
Old 10-16-2006, 11:58 PM
mdlesk
3rd Gear Member

No problem. I thought about the JBA before I got my MRT. I just wanted to best performing and loud so that's why I went with it. Let me know what u go with
Old 10-17-2006, 12:47 PM
Excalliber

Your wife will hate everything but stock. I have Magnaflow and it doesn't really quiet down until 85 mph.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:56 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

ORIGINAL: Excalliber

Your wife will hate everything but stock. I have Magnaflow and it doesn't really quiet down until 85 mph.
I have the GT take-off. It's definitely better sounding than stock, and is good for an add'l 8rwhp (they are cheap too [sm=smiley20.gif]). Mrs. 28hopup likes the sound of the car better now, even with the top down. It's more throaty, but not obnoxious. I forget what muffler fitbikeco is running, but his is louder and raspier than mine (I like it, but IMO I probably wouldn't on a vert the top down). Hope that helps...

Quick Reply: Thinking about new exhaust