Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Thinking about new exhaust

Old 10-16-2006, 12:29 AM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Default Thinking about new exhaust

I'm a newb.. and I have never worked on cars... However, I am really good with my hands.. and can figure things out pretty easily.
My newb question.. I am thinking about new exhaust as a mod.. and wanted to go with an MRT axle back:
http://mrt-direct.com/2005/Pages/mrtaxleback.php

How easy is it to take off the existing muffler and slip this on? Is it as easy as it sounds..? or should I have the dealer do it.

Thanks.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:35 AM
mdlesk
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Thinking about new exhaust

It's easier than it sounds. All it requires is two wrenches and you'll be suprised at how much lighter the MRT is. You can even do it from the ground, you don't even have to jack the car up a little. It's great! If you have any questions I can help. I put mine on in probably 30 minutes.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:44 AM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Thanks much..i'll take a look under her tomorrow.. and then order the exhaust. If I get that taken care of.. I'm sure I'll get the fever and start going crazy
Old 10-16-2006, 12:55 AM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

I just found this post:
https://mustangforums.com/archive/thread1743972-1.html

Which was helpful too. Also.. I don't want obnoxious loud.. just closer to the GT sound. Is the MRT the way to go.. or is there a better option for a single exhaust system?

Old 10-16-2006, 01:18 AM
4.0 Stang
3rd Gear Member

yea I went with the magaflow and it sounds great. It took me about a hour to do and im 16 so it dont take a mechanic.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:53 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

oh yea.. how loud are these at highway speeds.. (60 to 80). I don't want to **** of my wife too much.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:59 PM
silver05gt1
1st Gear Member

Just a thought, if you are looking for it to sound more like a GT did you consider just putting on a muffler off of a GT? I am not sure how it sounds, but I am sure someone on here does and could tell you if it is a good way to go. Not trying to be a pain just a thought. I would imagine one of the GT mufflers would be more aggressive and yet not to loud at highway speeds. Just a thought.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:00 PM
Meph
2nd Gear Member

It took me about 3 hours. Between BSing with people and a 6 pack and doing the actual work, it was all adding up on the clock.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:08 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

That's an option. I'll look more into it.

ORIGINAL: silver05gt1

Just a thought, if you are looking for it to sound more like a GT did you consider just putting on a muffler off of a GT? I am not sure how it sounds, but I am sure someone on here does and could tell you if it is a good way to go. Not trying to be a pain just a thought. I would imagine one of the GT mufflers would be more aggressive and yet not to loud at highway speeds. Just a thought.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:09 PM
SOLDSHORT
5th Gear Member

if you're looking for a gt sound, go with a gt takeoff or a magnaflow, mrt will be way too loud for you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thinking about new exhaust