Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Cams and Heads

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 04:01 PM
beaustang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Cams and Heads

I wasn't suggesting any particular FI, I was just speculating on what could be done with the stroker setup. In fact if I was to go that direction I'd go with something that would accomodate an aftercooler.
ORIGINAL: Trill Gear Head

ORIGINAL: beaustang

If you're going to do heads and cams with the intention of going FI in the future you should also save up and put in forged internals to handle more boost, and if you are going to do that you might as well do the stroker kit! Imagine a FI Stroker motor with ported heads and agressive cams! 400rwhp V6 baby!

yeah, but if ur gonna go X-Charger whats the point of bothering with forged internals as you won't be able to up the boost as theirs no aftercooler. But i could understand just putting in lower compression pistons(forged that is) to increase the boost, might as well upgrade the weakest link while your in their. With the combination of X-Charger, Heads/Cams, 8.8 compression pistons i wouldn't expect it to make anything more than 340-350wph at BEST at the Hi-pro psi of 8-9psi? not sure which psi the hi pro uses.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:47 PM
Trill Gear Head
4th Gear Member

I wasn't suggesting any particular FI, I was just speculating on what could be done with the stroker setup. In fact if I was to go that direction I'd go with something that would accomodate an aftercooler.

If you're going to do heads and cams with the intention of going FI in the future you should also save up and put in forged internals to handle more boost, and if you are going to do that you might as well do the stroker kit! Imagine a FI Stroker motor with ported heads and agressive cams! 400rwhp V6 baby!

yeah, but if ur gonna go X-Charger whats the point of bothering with forged internals as you won't be able to up the boost as theirs no aftercooler. But i could understand just putting in lower compression pistons(forged that is) to increase the boost, might as well upgrade the weakest link while your in their. With the combination of X-Charger, Heads/Cams, 8.8 compression pistons i wouldn't expect it to make anything more than 340-350wph at BEST at the Hi-pro psi of 8-9psi? not sure which psi the hi pro uses.
Yeah, Thats the one thing i hate about the X-Charger. No AFTERCOOLER!!!!!!! DO YOU HEAR ME GUYS AT EE!!!!!!!!! I seriously wonder how much it would cost to fab up a mp112 manifold along with aftercooler. If only the world where perfect. Wasn'tt heir somebody else make a roots style F/I for our cars?
Old 11-17-2006, 07:19 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

Yeah, Thats the one thing i hate about the X-Charger. No AFTERCOOLER!!!!!!! DO YOU HEAR ME GUYS AT EE!!!!!!!!! I seriously wonder how much it would cost to fab up a mp112 manifold along with aftercooler. If only the world where perfect. Wasn'tt heir somebody else make a roots style F/I for our cars?
the hi-po hits 9-10 psi i beleive and with the right internals you could make some big power with that. i actually would not recomend going lower compression on a build if you have an x-charger. since the boost levels are so limited, you would actually be better of going higher compression. going to say 10:1 with the right tune will up your power at the same boost. i can see 350rwhp easy on heads/cams/pistons with x-charger and don't forget the torque curve. i can't remember who exactly, but i know someone ran a 13.7 with the cali kit (6 psi) on an open diff! the cali kit puts around 250rwhp down. imagine an extra hundred at the wheels.easy mid 12's.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:41 PM
Trill Gear Head
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 8cd03gro

the hi-po hits 9-10 psi i beleive and with the right internals you could make some big power with that. i actually would not recomend going lower compression on a build if you have an x-charger. since the boost levels are so limited, you would actually be better of going higher compression. going to say 10:1 with the right tune will up your power at the same boost. i can see 350rwhp easy on heads/cams/pistons with x-charger and don't forget the torque curve. i can't remember who exactly, but i know someone ran a 13.7 with the cali kit (6 psi) on an open diff! the cali kit puts around 250rwhp down. imagine an extra hundred at the wheels.easy mid 12's.

I see what your saying and it makes since, I'm far far FAR away from modding my car at all, keep in mind i havn't even had this car for a year yet. However, next fall their will be changes(MAUAHHAHHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!). I will talk to countless people on what they think will happen. The most logical thing though will to pay for the Head/Cam/Intake and the install, run it N/A for a lil while and then install X-Charger wit my pops so i can atleast say i did something[8D].
Old 11-18-2006, 03:25 AM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

LOL! that is pretty much exactly what im planning on pending the results of the heads and cams from gash. hell if i can get 30+whp from cams and heads i would be VERY happy for a while. all motor with that much power would be a blast and a total sleeper. and when you get bored, you will just see that much more power out of a blower/turbo. i think ported/polished heads are the best mod for anyone looking to build big power, over a period of time. get 30hp now, and when you get bored, bolt on a blower and gain another 100+ now that's bad ***.
Old 11-18-2006, 03:41 AM
Jerseyfury2
4th Gear Member

yea with fabbing your own turbo....good luck??
Old 05-22-2011, 11:31 PM
06v6Enigma

WOW..... i just joined this forum and im allready blown away from the help ! i checked out the website u posted and now im positive im getting thier stage 2+ heads that torque curve i saw on their 4.0 v6 dyno sheet blew my mind O.O!!!! 200+ torque at 1700 rpm........ HOLY SH**!!!!!! that alone with the aftermarket auto speedshifter from americanmuscle.com and u have one HELL of a fun v6 hot rod XD ty so much!!!!!!
Old 05-31-2011, 08:53 AM
pbfoot

You have to pull motor for head or cam swap as the access for the passenger side is on the back of motor behind a knock out plug.Bellhousing has to be removed.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:10 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pbfoot
You have to pull motor for head or cam swap as the access for the passenger side is on the back of motor behind a knock out plug.Bellhousing has to be removed.
Almost as big a fail on design as the location of our oil filters (only reason they win is because I change my oil more than I change my heads/cams)
Old 02-25-2015, 11:01 PM
mechmod

Default heads

Just a question the v6 4.2 heads port them out and then throw them on? Think this may work I don't see why not but I'm if I want to pick up some 4.2 heads and try it

Quick Reply: Cams and Heads