Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

How To:V6 to GT XPIPE CONV. W/All FORD PARTS

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 01:46 AM
68XR7
2nd Gear Member

Default How To:V6 to GT XPIPE CONV. W/All FORD PARTS

I just got done doing a dual exhaust conversion on my '05 'Stang. There were quite a few things that I was unsure of when I went into this project. I knew what I wanted, but I wasn't sure what it would be like when I finished. I read Tres Wright's thread entitled: How to:V6 Dual GT Mufflers w/pics. This removed a lot of the mystery about the conversion. It's always nice to learn from someone else's experience before attacking your favorite automobile with Dremmel tools, sanders, cutting torches, Sawzalls etc. You get my point.
I don't intend to reWright (he-he) Tres' thread about the installation. I think that he did a great job already. I would advise anyone who is thinking about doing this project to take a look at it. What I am writing about is my experience with using all Ford parts in this popular swap.
To start with, I read a lot of the threads about what kind of mufflers people here were using; the kind of sound quality as well as performance issues. I was concerned about the tone of the exhaust. Afterall, if I did all of this work and my car ended up sounding like one of those horrible ricers, I would have stuck one of the pipes in my mouth and waited for the end! Luckily that wasn't the case. This project turned out better than I ever expected. I decided, like so many others to go with GT take off mufflers. I got a great deal on ebay. The mufflers were so new that the pipes had absolutely no soot or fouling of any kind. I hung the passenger side in the driveway. It took about 20 minutes. With one of the GT mufflers in place, the sound improved quite a bit and it gave me an idea what it might sond like with 2 of them. Then I went ahead with the other side. I made a template out of paper and cut the hole with a Dremmel like Tres said he did. However, I found that if I used masking tape on the area to be removed, it would give me a good surface to draw the cutting mark as well as giving a little protection against nicks. When I made the cut, I stayed about 1/4" inside of the line and used a drill with a sanding drum to take the hole out to its finished dimensions. The hole was just about perfect with no paint chips or tool marks. I used Ford muffler hangers on the left side. I know that some people bring one of the right ones over to the left side and have the shop fab the 2 remaining ones. I'm sure that works great and saves money, but I really like having the installation as close to 'stock' as I can, so I spent a few bucks. The hanger #'s are 4R3Z 5A246 AA. I paid $35. ea. for them. In other threads it was suggested to save the 2 extra hanger bolts that were removed from the 6 cylinder muffler, because they could be used to mount one of the hangers on the left side. Also, if you remove the two vibration damper bolts from the old muffler, you will find that they too are the same size to mount the other hanger. No need to buy extra bolts!
I read that an H-pipe might give a little better sound quality (a little lower tone), while an X-pipe provided less restriction, but might be prone to a harmonic buzz or drone. About that time, I ran across an auction on ebay for a Ford Racing X-pipe for the GT. I really liked the pipe, so in spite of my apprehension, I decided to get it. I got it for the opening bid of $129. It was a really nice part: FORD RACING PERFORMANCE PARTS X PIPE #M-5251-R I was pretty sure that it would fit close to where the original pipes were, but I couldn't be sure until I actually tried it on the car. IT WAS GREAT. The new X duplicated the lines of the 6 cylinders exhaust almost perfectly! (go figure)

I had originally thought that I would have the guy at the muffler shop make a midpipe for me. He said that he could do it, but was a little concerned about the tight bend over the axle. I decided that since I had used nothing but Ford parts so far, I might as well stick with them 'till the end of the project. I called Dave Redman and ordered my midpipe #4R3Z 5A212 AB. He matched another dealer's price of $84.77. He said that he would be willing to order the hangers as well the pipes to forum members for the same price that I got them for. He's at lpc@withamauto.com.
I had a local shop do the installation. The parts went together very well. Not too much for surprises. The vibration damper off of the original mid pipe had to be removed. The pipes coming down from the cats are a little smaller in dia. than the ones on the X. Welding was required. I received two nice 2 1/2" clamps with the X pipe that I could have used to connect the X to the mid pipes but the installer convinced me that it would be better to let him go ahead and weld it up solid. So that's what I did.
The second the motor started, I knew that everything had gone right! What a great sound! Nice mellow growl that sounded way tough but wasn't annoying inside of the car. On the way home, the car felt stronger! I don't have any way to prove whether it was or not, but it felt like it to me. Either way, it's good. There was none of the dreaded drone. The tone was low and un-ricer like.
Best of Luck, Dave

[IMG]local://upfiles/53184/547AA9AB59DC4B7C96BC8EBABCEBB6D7.jpg[/IMG]
new parts

[IMG]local://upfiles/53184/DD38EC66F80F4F0E878FA5E0686C3F18.jpg[/IMG]
shows how X-pipe alligns with the stock ones.

[IMG]local://upfiles/53184/5D686536BB2C4223AE4308A238343F41.jpg[/IMG]
with the couplings in place, ready for welding
Old 11-18-2006, 01:53 AM
Black06stang
4th Gear Member

Default RE: How To:V6 to GT Xpipe Conv. w/All Ford Parts

Good pics and information!
Old 11-18-2006, 08:23 PM
nonstopred
5th Gear Member

so the x pipe just bolted right on? did you have to cut the xpipe?
did ford give a template where to cut for it? Can you tell me the entire process with the x-pipe install?
Old 11-18-2006, 11:24 PM
tientran
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: How To:V6 to GT XPIPE CONV. W/All FORD PARTS

Thank you very much for your post. I intended to buy X pipe. I was afraid that the pipe did not fit or the sound was terrible. Now, I will order X pipe. I have mufflers, mid pipe and hangers already.
Old 11-18-2006, 11:32 PM
68XR7
2nd Gear Member

The Ford X-pipe follows the same lines as the stock exhaust. It really aids the installation process, a lot. Lay the new X over the old system. Notice the ends of the X in relation to the old pipe. Put marks on the old pipe, that shows where the X was positioned. Before you cut anything, I would position the new mid-pipe inside of the new muffler and get some idea where it lays in relation to the X. This is important, because it will have some bearing on where you cut the old system. Cut the stock mid-pipe directly across from the new mid-pipe. You will also cut the vibration damper off of the old pipe. When you cut the two pipes that come down from the cats remember to leave enough pipe to go inside of the X. Probably about 3" on each. IF YOU DON'T DO THIS, THE PIPE WILL BE TOO SHORT. Like my Dad always said "You can always make another cut, but once it's gone, it's gone." Thanks Dad. Now you should be able to slide the X right onto the old cat pipes.
Now that everything is cut, slide the X on the cat pipes. Now the rear end of the X should be flush with the front end of the mid-pipes. This is where we made the couplings that are shown in the pictures. If you want to be able to remove it later, you could use the bolt on type of connector. Don't weld anything until you have everything in it's proper position. Remember to walk around back of the car. How far do both pipes stick out? Are they the same length? What about the mufflers? Are they both level? Are the pipes underneath up where they are supposed to be? Or are they hanging down? Once everything is OK, then weld the two front pipes. Then weld/tighten the two rear ones. Don't forget to tighten the right muffler. Check for exhaust leaks while it's still up on the hoist. Your Done!

[IMG]local://upfiles/53184/1B18FDB09911406BA917D2FBB4A2D0E0.jpg[/IMG]

Cutting off the vibration damper

[IMG]local://upfiles/53184/2551F4962AA246E8B16E3C1FBE698A8D.jpg[/IMG]

Cutting off the front of the Y-pipe

[IMG]local://upfiles/53184/DA029C3BBD8F41B1BFE189DB7A4A5A01.jpg[/IMG]

Sliding the X into place

[IMG]local://upfiles/53184/10E064273CAB4AE0B6467EEBB858C781.jpg[/IMG]

Welding the rear of the X-pipe
Old 11-18-2006, 11:51 PM
68XR7
2nd Gear Member

I think you'll love it. Good luck, Dave

Old 11-19-2006, 10:57 AM
NewStangDude
1st Gear Member

Good info and pics. I've got a shop lined up for an H-pipe install, but your experience with the X-pipe has me thinking again.

How does your exhaust sound at higher RPM's or WOT?
Is the sound much louder, or any louder at idle, cruise, or WOT with the duals vs. the single?
Any deeper, duals vs. single?

Thanks.
Old 11-19-2006, 12:12 PM
afixer
5th Gear Member

my only concern is the welded x. i have had the duals for over a year now and actually had to remove them once already so i would highly recomend the clamps. my pipes dont leak and remember thats the way ford does it so whats the big problem with them. it bugs me that installers keep pushing this sp you have to go back to them if you have a prob. tranny ,driveshaft, gas tank all these things require the pipes removed although you can remove the driveshaft with some work. overall good job glad you like them i did mine in june of last year the car sounds great and really looks better from the rear with both in my opinion
Old 11-19-2006, 05:42 PM
68XR7
2nd Gear Member

I noticed the biggest difference in sound when I went from the V6 muffler to the single GT take off. When I went from single to dual, it was a little louder, but not much. At wide open throttle, you can certainly hear the exhaust, but it's not deafening or uncomfortable. My days of sticking a Cherry Bomb on a $500 car, are long over with! I agree with Afixer about the clamps. I can see the advantages of being able to remove the pipe if need be. It was just my decision to weld it up. Makes me feel good. If I ever need to remove the mid-pipe for any reason, I suppose that I could cut it (squarely) and re assemble it using the clamps that I saved from the initial installation.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:32 PM
68XR7
2nd Gear Member

Also, I have an instruction guide that came with the X-pipe, along with an exploded view of the GT exhaust system.I think that these might be helpful. I don't know how to do the PDF thing. It looks like I might have to use two posts to get this on. Here are the first two pages:

[IMG]local://upfiles/53184/2E0ABCA563C04718AD4EF32F724E5195.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/53184/6FB908A773D442BA80AC7A9822452871.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: How To:V6 to GT XPIPE CONV. W/All FORD PARTS