Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Question about shift firmness with Xcal2

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 04:17 AM
68XR7
2nd Gear Member

Default Question about shift firmness with Xcal2

I recently installed an Xcal2 on my '05. One of the things that I was really looking forward to was improved shifting performance. I mean I can't stand the way that thing shifts. Too smooth, slides from one gear to the next. So, one of the first things that I wanted to do, was increase the firmness in the shift. When I installed the Xcal2 I started out by increasing the shift firmness to 10, then 15, then 20, then finally all the way up to 25. I still can hardly feel it shift. I'm getting a pretty good burn out, out of the hole at least, but no second gear scratch. Maybe I'm expecting the wrong thing or whatever, but where's the snap? I remember putting B+M shift kits in the old ones and getting lots of rubber going from first to second and second to third (couldn't get 4th and 5th 'cause they didn't have 4th and 5th). So tell me, am I expecting too much, or isn't this thing working like it's supposed to?
Old 12-01-2006, 07:21 AM
scrming
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Question about shift firmness with Xcal2

ORIGINAL: 68XR7

I recently installed an Xcal2 on my '05. One of the things that I was really looking forward to was improved shifting performance. I mean I can't stand the way that thing shifts. Too smooth, slides from one gear to the next. So, one of the first things that I wanted to do, was increase the firmness in the shift. When I installed the Xcal2 I started out by increasing the shift firmness to 10, then 15, then 20, then finally all the way up to 25. I still can hardly feel it shift. I'm getting a pretty good burn out, out of the hole at least, but no second gear scratch. Maybe I'm expecting the wrong thing or whatever, but where's the snap? I remember putting B+M shift kits in the old ones and getting lots of rubber going from first to second and second to third (couldn't get 4th and 5th 'cause they didn't have 4th and 5th). So tell me, am I expecting too much, or isn't this thing working like it's supposed to?

Are you talking about shifting at WOT or at part throttle? My tune is pretty well behaved at part throttle... you can feel the shifts but not overly hard... but at WOT the shifts are nice and FIRM and snap your head back... You can tune the car so you really only get the hard shift at WOT... that being said... What you need to do is go back to how ever you bought your tune from and ask them to make your shifts firmer... With Lidio tune, back when my car was NA and I was on street radials my car would burn through 1st, loudly chirp 1-2 and chirp 2-3!
Old 12-01-2006, 03:40 PM
68XR7
2nd Gear Member

Yes, I was refering to Wot only. When I'm doing routine driving, I don't have much use for gut wrenching shifts, only when I'm into it. I would like it to shift a little more like what yours does. I just got the tune from John Demolet. Maybe I should give him a call.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:22 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

Yes, I was refering to Wot only. When I'm doing routine driving, I don't have much use for gut wrenching shifts, only when I'm into it. I would like it to shift a little more like what yours does. I just got the tune from John Demolet. Maybe I should give him a call.

Yep, give John a call... he's a good guy...
Old 12-01-2006, 10:16 PM
68XR7
2nd Gear Member

I called John today, he said that there wasn't anything that he could do about it. I guess the only latitude that I have, is whatever adjustment is in the tune itself. And I've already used that up. So i guess that's my answer. He suggested going to Doug, at you know where, for a custom tune. Also, I was surprised to find that I can't shut off my traction control. I've read advertisements from other outfits that claim you can shut it off with theirs. I don't know if that is just characteristic of Demolet tunes or what? I'm still learning, still pretty new at this computer tuning stuff. Thanks, Dave
Old 12-02-2006, 01:35 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

I called John today, he said that there wasn't anything that he could do about it. I guess the only latitude that I have, is whatever adjustment is in the tune itself. And I've already used that up. So i guess that's my answer. He suggested going to Doug, at you know where, for a custom tune. Also, I was surprised to find that I can't shut off my traction control. I've read advertisements from other outfits that claim you can shut it off with theirs. I don't know if that is just characteristic of Demolet tunes or what? I'm still learning, still pretty new at this computer tuning stuff. Thanks, Dave
hmmm... sound like John got his tune from someone else... If he has the SCT Advantage software he can easily make the shifts firmer...

As far as TCS... I believe a shop can turn the TCS off in the tune but then you cannot turn it back on with the button... I know it's not an option in the user setting in the x-cal2... I just hit the button as soon as I start the car... LOL
Old 12-02-2006, 06:37 PM
craezjo
2nd Gear Member

stupid question but how do u change the shift firmness on the xcal2
Old 12-03-2006, 11:03 PM
BHRS
1st Gear Member

I am also used to a B&M shift kit to firm up the shifts on older automatics. I am planning on buying a Brenspeed kit, but does the tuner also firm up the shifts for normal driving? When I say normal I mean non-WOT.

I really like my auto, but the shift from 2-3 is really soft to the point I can feel the bands unapply and then reapply. When I give it 2/3 to 3/4 throttle it shifts quicker and firmer, but in traffic you can't drive it like that. Does anyone else's shift soft between 2-3?

Thanks-