Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

White Smoke (not the tires)

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 05:55 PM
amystery2u
3rd Gear Member

Default White Smoke (not the tires)

Today a co-worker was following behind after lunch and wanted to test my Stang against his Lincoln V8. When I noticed him making a move I got on the pedal and got it up to almost 100 before he backed off. When we get back to the office he tells me that he seen white smoke coming from one of my pipes when I got it up around 80-90. I shifted from 3rd to 4th before this.

After work I let it run at idle and didn't see any smoke, reved it up some and still no smoke. It runs fine, the temp is normal, antifeeze is not discolored and no bubbles or foam in the oil.

Anyone experienced this? I have no idea how much smoke it was. One guy suggested it could have been excess gas.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:20 PM
acrokat
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: White Smoke (not the tires)

I remember this happening to my old Porsche 914. Whenever I would have the car at high RPM's(4500+) and back off the gas I would push out a puff of white smoke from the tailpipe. My mechanic said that this is just something that old cars do(my car was a '75). I'm not a car guy but I always thought it had to do with the piston rings...

I do remember that I had to have the car under load, I couldn't get it to puff white smoke unless I was in gear at the time.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:27 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

White smoke is steam. So unless your car is runnin REALLY poorly, the condition is totally normal. Its condensation inside your exhaust. Have you ever been driving behind a car and notice water pouring out of the tailpipe, thats the condensation Im talkin about.
-P.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:39 PM
amystery2u
3rd Gear Member

Car runs great. I was hoping it would be something like that. It just clicked over 15K miles and it's not hot rodded to death. Maintenance is up to date.

Thanks P
ORIGINAL: P Zero

White smoke is steam. So unless your car is runnin REALLY poorly, the condition is totally normal. Its condensation inside your exhaust. Have you ever been driving behind a car and notice water pouring out of the tailpipe, thats the condensation Im talkin about.
-P.