Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

shifting on a manual transmittion

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 12:09 AM
07firststang

Default RE: shifting on a manual transmittion

Thanks for the quick reply Raubt. The pedal seems to be a little high. I can't rest my heel on the ground like I do with the gas pedal. I'm a size 9 foot which is pretty average I guess, so I don't think its a physical thing. hehe. So my foot is hanging in mid-air when I use the clutch and on turns, my body is a little off balance and I end up pushing more on the clutch when I'm trying to release. What do u think?

Thanks,
Old 01-25-2007, 12:21 AM
raubt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 07firststang

Thanks for the quick reply Raubt. The pedal seems to be a little high. I can't rest my heel on the ground like I do with the gas pedal. I'm a size 9 foot which is pretty average I guess, so I don't think its a physical thing. hehe. So my foot is hanging in mid-air when I use the clutch and on turns, my body is a little off balance and I end up pushing more on the clutch when I'm trying to release. What do u think?

Thanks,
Yeah, now that I think of it, my foot is completely in the air when I'm pressing down on the clutch too. And the clutches on our cars are stiff enough that if you try resting your heel on the floor and working the clutch with your toes you probably won't have much luck either. I don't think there's really much you can do about it. All I can really recommend is moving your seat a little closer forward so that when your left leg is fully depressed against the clutch your back is pushed against the back of your seat, and since your foot will be tight to the floor and your back will be tight to the seat, that should eliminate any movement which is causing you to be off balance.

Beyond that, it's just something to get used to. Pretty soon your leg muscles will get used to holding your leg in the air while pushing down against the stiff clutch, and it won't be a problem.

Just keep working it and it'll get comfortable, no doubt.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:13 AM
f.f.ford
1st Gear Member

Ya I would try blipping the throttle a little before shifting so you can rev-match. Your problem is odd because usually as a transmission gets broken in shifting becomes easier. 8cd03groif you get any usefull info on matching tranny's if you could let me in on anything it would be really usefull i've looked around and haven't really found much.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:44 AM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: f.f.ford

Ya I would try blipping the throttle a little before shifting so you can rev-match. Your problem is odd because usually as a transmission gets broken in shifting becomes easier. 8cd03groif you get any usefull info on matching tranny's if you could let me in on anything it would be really usefull i've looked around and haven't really found much.
for sure. I've had a hard time finding much, but i haven't really had alot of time to look real hard, but as soon as i find out some info i will let you all know.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:18 PM
nsmitchell

The stock shifter feels like a rubber banana. I bought and installed a Hurst shifter and it now shifts great!
Old 03-25-2011, 08:09 PM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

I feel like this lack of "smoothness" is operator error. I think you've probably had this car for ~6 months now? You're not quite a pro yet! haha. It takes some getting used to, you'll get better with time, so keep practicing!

Reverse can sometimes be a pain and yes our transmissions are loud and some what not up to par when certain mods/driving techniques are applied, but this is no Ferrari and the engineers probably weren't expecting people to heavily mod these engines. You get what you pay for, end of story.

Also, the clutch is a tad high and quite heavy, but take this as another reason to workout your hamstrings, quads, and calves on a regular basis.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:22 PM
tnroadrunr
1st Gear Member

I've had no problems at all with mine..... Oh wait... mine is an Automatic... Darn nevermind

On the positive side I have been looking at shift kits for the automatic, while the Factory set shift points do a great job of pushing the tranny right up to the power point, I would like a little more control on the timing for some autocross courses.....
Old 03-26-2011, 04:15 PM
Nice Pony
2nd Gear Member

When I test drove my Mustang in 2005 I almost didn't buy it due to the crappy feel of the transmission. I got so disgusted with it that at 30,000 mile I replaced it with a GT500 TR6060 6-Speed. What a difference!!! I now have 133,000 miles on it and the transmission is still perfect.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:52 PM
SheeksXD

im ridiculously happy i found this thread. i just bought an 06 manual and am having some of the same issues. im glad to hear im not the only one. im sure the more i drive it the better it will get, but im sensing that the best move might be to get a new shifter.....do the veterans out there agree with this?
Old 04-04-2011, 12:03 AM
Deadbeat
2nd Gear Member

I wear a size 9 as well, but I still manage to keep my heel grounded. I do lift my heel to press the clutch. That's just how I was taught to press in the clutch (heel off the ground). My 04 was another story...heel in the air, always.

Quick Reply: shifting on a manual transmittion