Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

shifting on a manual transmittion

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 01:29 AM
skysurf

Default shifting on a manual transmittion

I have a 2006 V6 Mustang + pony package, etc.... with now just over 5000 miles on it. Lately I've noticed that my a lot of times the shifting on the car is not so smooth, especially in the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears. I honestly cannot necessarily say that it has been any worse than it was when I first bought the car (maybe it's just my imagination), but I learned to drive a manual quite recently before I had bought the car and am just noticing now that the shifting is not as smooth (atleast as I'd like.)

I have grinded one or two times (once when I was shifting from third to fourth, however let go of the clutch by mistake when it was not fully in the third gear and heard this horrible grinding sound, only for about 2 seconds though before hitting the clutch and shifting out....) This was about four months ago, however Could this have somehow damaged the trasmission enough??

How has everyone else expererience been with manual shifting on the V6?? Is there anything I can do to make it smoother??

Thanks!!!!
Old 12-29-2006, 02:02 AM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

Default RE: shifting on a manual transmittion

blip the throttle a bit more than you are between shifts and 2nd+ will be smoother. our tranny is very noisy, but i have no problems with smoothness. i do drive very smoothly compared to most of my friends tho, so i dono.
Old 12-29-2006, 03:12 AM
Rnstanger
2nd Gear Member

Shifting during normal driving has never really been a problem. Getting into reverse half the time is another story altogether. I do sometimes have a problem with 3rd gear but the shifting is usually pretty smooth. Compared to the 03 I have and the Focus I traded in for the 06, the 06 shifts the worse. Nothing can touch the 03 with the MGW short throw shifter. So precise it's scary.
Old 12-29-2006, 03:20 AM
raubt
4th Gear Member

Do you mean the shift in terms of the engine not being smooth when you transition between gears, or the actual movement of the stick inside the car isn't smooth?

If it's the engine, do like 8cd03gro suggested and give it a little gas between shifts. Or if that doesn't work, try the opposite: For me personally, I don't give it any gas mid-shift and it's fine. Off-gas, clutch out completely, shift, clutch back in completely, on gas, and it's smooth in terms of the engine.

If it's the actual movement of the stick, I find that the shifter is sometimes not smooth if the weather is cold (and things just aren't warmed up completely and ready to move; metal gets cold). I had my car at my Ford dealer for a few days getting some work done, and when I left the dealership, after it had been parked inside for a few days, the stick was buttery-smooth to shift. It could also be the way you're moving the stick when you're shifting. Make sure you're not leaning on it at all during the shift motion, maybe pulling back and left or something at the same time, rather than just straight back. And if you're living in cold climate, don't worry about it and just see how it goes when spring is back and the weather is nice again.

As for grinding, don't worry about a few grinds a while ago causing any damage. I was worried about my transmission after I ground a gear once and the shift from first-to-second was extra stiff for a few days, but that went away. Manual transmissions are built to be tough, so a few grinds on rare occassions won't cause any serious damage. Just take a look at your shifting technique, and see if there's anything you can do to smooth things out (whether it's the gears themselves, or the movement of the gear-shift inside your Pony.)
Old 12-29-2006, 02:27 PM
pat6674u
3rd Gear Member

No offense but the transmission on our 4.0's is half-*** and the stock shifter is worse. Consider going to a short-throw shifter to solve a lot of the shifting problems (missing gears, grinding, etc.) but the noisy tranny is just something we have to live with.
Old 12-29-2006, 03:02 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

yup the tranny is the downfall of our cars. im gathering info to see what trannies match up, then im gonna go on a junkyard/ebay hunt for a 6 speed that fits. im sick of this tranny.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:36 PM
skysurf

Thanx for the reply fellas. By the shift, I did mean the movement of the stick inside the car. I've noticed the non-smoothness mainly in the first three gears (oh, and the freakin REverse, which just plain drives me freakin NUTS at times!!!!!!)

So looks like it's pretty normally with the stock v6 shifters. I like the idea of the short-throw shifter, any idea what/where to get and how much????
Thanks!!!!
Old 01-07-2007, 03:17 PM
ortcele
1st Gear Member

When I first got my mustang 3rd gear was kind of hard to find sometimes just take your time when shifting. Also when the car is cold what works for me is to do smother sifts at low as possible rpms until the tranny warms up. There have been a couple of time that I have caught my self not engaging the clutch all they way im not saying your making this mistake but this will defiantly make it hard to shift. As for finding reverse its really easy make shure the break is on clutch in than shift from neutral as far right as possible than back but kind of back right at the same time if this does not work the first time align the gears by passing it threw first or second and then to reverse works every time try it out hope this helps.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:56 PM
07firststang

Man am I glad that I found you guys (or gals)!! I just bought my first mustang and first manual transmission a week ago. I've gotten to know the car enough that my shifts are pretty smooth, but the mettalic grinding of the stick during the shifts was really concerning me. Glad to know that its not just my car! I am still planning to take it in to the dealer so that they can look at it (still under warranty).

The one thing that I dont understand is why the clutch is so high. Is that typical of mustangs? I have to elevate my left foot to push in or out. This is sometimes a problem for me when I'm starting in first and turning sharply at the same time. Any suggestions?
Thanks....
Old 01-25-2007, 12:03 AM
raubt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 07firststang

The one thing that I dont understand is why the clutch is so high. Is that typical of mustangs? I have to elevate my left foot to push in or out. This is sometimes a problem for me when I'm starting in first and turning sharply at the same time. Any suggestions?
Thanks....
Like why is the pedal so high off the floor? Perhaps it's to take away the tendency of resting your foot on the floor and riding the clutch while your car is in gear or something.

Not really something I noticed (this is my first manual) but I dunno. Maybe your shoes aren't big enough to reach the clutch comfortably, maybe your seat is sitting too far back in the car, dunno what to tell you. Are you pushing down on the clutch with the ball of your foot (where your toes connect to your foot) or are you pushing the pedal more with the middle of your foot or something? Just drive it a lot and you'll get used to it I guess.

Quick Reply: shifting on a manual transmittion