Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

2007 V6 4.0L Mods - New Member & advice needed :)

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 07:02 AM
xyster
2nd Gear Member

Default 2007 V6 4.0L Mods - New Member & advice needed :)

Hi everyone
I have a 2007 4.0L V6 Mustang and was planning on getting some mods going for it early on since I have a chunk of change left over from parts I sold off my old car. I was wanting to know what performance mods I can do to my Mustang without voiding any warranties or causing problems with the emissions. I live in California so emissions are really tight about certain things that go in these bad boys... I already have an intake on the way but was also looking at switching over to Dual Exhausts, some new headers (JBA?), and possibly a couple of other things you all might be able to recommend.

Dual Exhausts - I am really liking the Flow Masters... but do I get the GT Dual conversion kit? As for the headers, I read about the JBA's which seemed pretty straightforward about the installation and didn't seem to bother the emissions on my stock 07. I have access to a shop and will be installing all of this myself along with a buddy so any input ahead of time is appreciated.

I am really excited about my new car since I have been wanting a mustang since I was a kid I am also glad to have found these forums! :P

Old 02-22-2007, 01:11 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Default RE: 2007 V6 4.0L Mods - New Member & advice needed :)

Welcome to MF!

I would recommend getting a hand-held tuner (with either a "canned" tuner from a reputable tuner, or a custom dyno tune) to complement your mods. You can always return the car to stock and disconnect your battery for a short time to clear an indicators that a dealer would see (if you're concerned about warranty issues). I hear good things about JBA headers in terms of being a quality-made part, but the hp/torque gains are disputed. Duals will add top end power (and they look good, imo), but a good single muffler like the MRT will give better power down low where most of your driving is done. Gears and a limited slip differential (LSD) are a good mod too. Folks will argue about whether it best to go with 3.73:1 or 4.10:1 gears for our 7.5" rears, but it depends what you're looking for. Another option is to get a complete GT take-off 8.8" rear, which is stronger, has LSD, and either a V6-matching 3.31:1 ratio, or a 3.55:1 (a hand-held tuner will adjust your speedo). As far as LSD's for our 7.5", the Ford t-lok is an improvement over stock. If you plan to frequently launch the car hard, a Detroit Tru-Track is a stronger unit (and more expensive). Lower control arms (LCAs) and an UCA are a good mod to prevent wheel-hop. An alternator underdrive pulley (as opposed to a crank pulley) is an easy mod for a few hp, but a couple of guys have reported alternator failure.

The quickest naturally aspirated (NA) 4.0L's are running low-14s in the 1/4 mile, which isn't incredibly quick, but it's pretty darned good for a NA V6. Most 4.0L's with forced induction are running 12's and 13's, but a handful will be in the 10's or 11's this season (BANK ON IT!).
Old 02-22-2007, 01:41 PM
boss 244
3rd Gear Member

+1 on the above post
Old 02-22-2007, 07:11 PM
xyster
2nd Gear Member

I'm looking around but where can I find a 8.8" rear GT-Take off for future reference if I get around to it. It sounds like a project i'd probably get around to sooner or later.

Thanks for your input as well. I appreciate it since I am new to the forums as well as my new car

Old 02-23-2007, 12:56 AM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

This is where I got my 8.8:

http://www.speedconcepts.net/product...roducts_id=728

Though you should be fine with a built up 7.5 unless you are going nuts! LOL. Many run high to mid 14's with just a muffler, CAI and a good tune. Here is post I tend to reuse, the write up Justin did on all the bolt ons is an exceptional read.

CAI/Tuner Combo
• Doug/Bchips: XCAL2 and your choice of TI or C&L CAI. (When I switched to his tune for my old TI, it shaved off 3/10ths on my time, his daily driver is an auto as well, though I think he has several test mules/test customer cars at his disposal)
• Evolution: XCAL2 and C&L (lot of guys use them)
• AZDynoChip: XCAL2 and ? (don't know if they do the internet thing, they will tune any CAI and produce some of the highest dyno numbers)
• Lidio/Alternative Auto: XCAL2 and CAI (I did some research and several shops referred me to him for Automatics, his personal daily driver is an auto)
• Brenspeed: XCAL2 and C&L (another highly reputable shop)
• Justin/VMP Tuning: XCAL2 and ? (Considered one of the top dogs for the V6 stang community and collaborates with Doug on occasion to my knowledge, he’s also tested more CAI’s on the same dyno session than anyone I’ve seen so far, read about it here: http://www.v6power.net/vb/showthread.php?t=25551 )

Stick with any of the above and you will be fine.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:43 AM
Stolen 98
1st Gear Member

Tuner from Doug @B-a-m-aChips...best mod I've done.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:25 AM
fazm
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rygenstormlocke

This is where I got my 8.8:

http://www.speedconcepts.net/product...roducts_id=728

Though you should be fine with a built up 7.5 unless you are going nuts! LOL. Many run high to mid 14's with just a muffler, CAI and a good tune. Here is post I tend to reuse, the write up Justin did on all the bolt ons is an exceptional read.

CAI/Tuner Combo
• Doug/Bchips: XCAL2 and your choice of TI or C&L CAI. (When I switched to his tune for my old TI, it shaved off 3/10ths on my time, his daily driver is an auto as well, though I think he has several test mules/test customer cars at his disposal)
• Evolution: XCAL2 and C&L (lot of guys use them)
• AZDynoChip: XCAL2 and ? (don't know if they do the internet thing, they will tune any CAI and produce some of the highest dyno numbers)
• Lidio/Alternative Auto: XCAL2 and CAI (I did some research and several shops referred me to him for Automatics, his personal daily driver is an auto)
• Brenspeed: XCAL2 and C&L (another highly reputable shop)
• Justin/VMP Tuning: XCAL2 and ? (Considered one of the top dogs for the V6 stang community and collaborates with Doug on occasion to my knowledge, he’s also tested more CAI’s on the same dyno session than anyone I’ve seen so far, read about it here: http://www.v6power.net/vb/showthread.php?t=25551 )

Stick with any of the above and you will be fine.
i do not believe keith (azdynochip) does internet, but ill ask him tomorrow

but yes, rick and i both hit very high #s n/a. i was 212.5rwhp and he was 213rwhp
Old 02-23-2007, 01:40 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Very cool Fazm. Let us know, everyone that has gone to that shop has given rave reviews.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:35 AM
azstanglover
2nd Gear Member

So in other words AZDynochip would be the place to go in the Phoenix area to have your car modified. Not that any of us would ever do that.[sm=yikesomg.gif]