Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

The Naturally Aspirated way to get horsepower

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 06:52 PM
deutscherstang
I ♥ Acer

Default The Naturally Aspirated way to get horsepower

First of all, I would like to create this thread as a reference point for many newcomers to the site to see what they can do to make their mustang go fast. I know we already have one like is, but it is only applicable for S/C T/C and N20..so lets go with NA (naturally aspirated)..for those that dont have $5000 and up to spend on our cars but still want a little more punch from their car.
Here are some good suggestions and some base prices:

Cold Air Intake w/ Tuner:
brands: -tunable induction (demolet)-C&L -BBK are all cai's that can run a tune provided by Xcal2, diablosport, evo, alternate auto and many more respectable companies.
If you would like a more detailed version of what combos of tuners and cais are good, go to the main 4.0L forum and click on the tuner sticky.
HP gains: around 25 horsepower + you will notice if you get an aggressive 93 tune that your shifts if you have an auto are much much smoother, its like a completely different car
($400-500) generally speaking

Cold Air Intake w/out Tuner
Now you wont see as much of a gain here but it is cheaper
brands -K&N -Roush -S&b -K&N drop in -AEM...like i said you definitly wont see as much of a gain w/out a tune but, if its all the cash you got..why not.
from 65-200 (the 65 is the KN drop in, but expect to pay around 150ish for a cai)
HP gains: depends on maker but generally speaking 8 hp is a good number, but thats still being generous

Throttle Body Bypass and Pulley System
brands: i dont know many but I do know HELIX makes a TB bypass...we have a great write up on how to install a TB bypass in the HOW TO's sticky in drivetrain.
combine the pulley system and throttle body bypass w/ a tuner/cai and you should be looking at some nice gains...upwards of 30 HP
these two by itself should be around 12 Hp

Single or Dual Exhaust
performance wise, generally speaking for NA cars single exhaust seems to be the best performance wise, although many members tend to get dual exhaust for loud exhaust and better style.
Single:brands: -gt takeoff (where the muffler from the GT is taken off) -flowmaster -mangaflow -pypes -mrt -mac -ffrp
Hp gains for a single should be about 5-8 hp being generous

Dual: well these are mainly for accoustic and visual appeal but still yield some gains of around 2-3 Hp depending on an X or an H pipe
brands: gt takeoff (same as above but two) and pretty much the exact same makers---important, if you want an exhaust that will not rust out go with a stainless steel muffler such as some from mac or pypes...even bassani if you can afford it there are two different types 304 and 409 stainless steel with 409 being the better quality. or a cheaper way is the aluminzed such as flowmasters, these mufflers have the chance of rusting out but still are great mufflers

price excluding piping (200-499)

X-PIPE
this is when your pipes leading into your cats crossover into an X form...usuallly Xpipes produce more gains in the HP department but not as much sound quality

H-PIPE
seems to be common around here for best overall sound quality

Complete dual exhaust setup (dont forget for some exhausts that you will need extra brackets that will run you 35 bucks) can be from (359-750) depending on who makes it

HEADERS (exhaust maniflod)
these are a little on the expensive side especially for install if you arent a good mechanic
they come in stainless or ceramic by JBA and MAC, most users seem to get JBA ceramic headers.
w/ install about $800 for 8-12 HP

MOTOBLUE IGNITION WIRES
for when you fire up that acceleration these wires that cost around 70 bucks say they give you 14 hp but lets be honest thats probably about 7 HP realistically
the shorter the wires...the more HP is the key

3.73 or 4.10 GEARS
whats the point of getting all this horsepower without being able to transfer it to the back wheels, get some of these gears for about 160 bucks and rest assured you will know your getting all that HP you paid for

things to stay away from: turbonator and any cheap solution that claimes 35+HP and a price under 300..they are just lying to you.

Hope that this helps other people and feel free to make any edits or comments to what I said.
Maybe we can get this to be a sticky?!
Good Luck! -deutscherstang
Old 03-25-2007, 07:54 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Default RE: The Naturally Aspirated way to get horsepower

Good write up, I would add an LSD to it.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:28 PM
jaded seconds
3rd Gear Member

Excellent post. I say it should be a sticky or as a linkin one of the ones already made.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:05 PM
acrokat
2nd Gear Member

Ignition wires...

I have heard alot of people say that they dont do diddly squat. as in 0 gain!
Old 03-26-2007, 10:14 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

you should throw in some stuff on heads/cams too.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:49 PM
deutscherstang
I ♥ Acer

true i forgot to mention that they will probably add that type of HP if you have the previous mentioned mods...dont worry, my post is going to be edited quite often.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:26 AM
pkeough
1st Gear Member

Any recomendations for where to get a good price on a pulley system and 3.73 gears?
Old 03-30-2007, 03:29 PM
jaded seconds
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: pkeough

Any recomendations for where to get a good price on a pulley system and 3.73 gears?
i picked up 3.73 gears from mpsautosalvage.com, just search for '3.73' as for the pulley system, v6mustangstuff.com
Old 03-30-2007, 05:44 PM
deutscherstang
I ♥ Acer

v6mustang stuff has a pulley kit on sale for 220

or from rpmoutlet...you can get a cai/combo/tb bypass/underdrive pulley for 699 gets you a solid 32HP and 37tq.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:33 PM
pkeough
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jaded seconds

ORIGINAL: pkeough

i picked up 3.73 gears from mpsautosalvage.com, just search for '3.73' as for the pulley system, v6mustangstuff.com
Any issues with the used gears? I found a places that is selling used 3.73 and Traction Lock for $180 but I dont know about going used.

Quick Reply: The Naturally Aspirated way to get horsepower