Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

question on muffler replacment & hesatation on acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 01:20 PM
jrudolph

Default question on muffler replacment & hesatation on acceleration

Question 1. I am putting a GT takeoff muffler on my 4.0. I read about disconnecting the battery and reconnecting prior to starting to reset the computer. Is this a true statment, and if so How lonng should it be disconnected. 2nd. I also read That the 1 -2 second hesatation can be eliminated by turning the ignition to on but not starting the car, then depress the gas pedal down and up, turn off key wait 6 seconds and start the car. does it work? do you need to to this each time you start the car ? So many questions , so little nice weather.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:03 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: question on muffler replacment & hesatation on acceleration

The second method does the same as the first.. resets the computer. You may want to do it after you ad the exhaust... but it's not necessary.
It may help with the throttle lag.. but the only way to get rid of that is to get a tuner.

ORIGINAL: jrudolph

Question 1. I am putting a GT takeoff muffler on my 4.0. I read about disconnecting the battery and reconnecting prior to starting to reset the computer. Is this a true statment, and if so How lonng should it be disconnected. 2nd. I also read That the 1 -2 second hesatation can be eliminated by turning the ignition to on but not starting the car, then depress the gas pedal down and up, turn off key wait 6 seconds and start the car. does it work? do you need to to this each time you start the car ? So many questions , so little nice weather.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:35 PM
S1ckStang
2nd Gear Member

if i didnot reset the battery bot got a tuner would that be the same thing? or should i still rest my battery
Old 03-30-2007, 04:30 PM
BlkSunshine77
2nd Gear Member

I replaced my muffler with a GT take off last night. What a pain in the a$$ to install.
It took forever to remove the old muffler, and getting the new one in was a pain as well.
I ended up unbolting the main pipe at the y-pipe connection to gain a little more leverage to pull the muffler out of the hangers.

It does sound really nice now. I'm glad I swapped it out.
And the price for the muffler was well worth it as well.

I never took the battery cable off, does it really matter?

I dont plan on buying a tuner until warranty is gone. Only 14k more miles.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:07 PM
jrudolph

Has anybody left the GT exhaust tip as is or have you cut it back?. It looks kind of long on the v6. And does yours contact the rear bumper, mine does, any fix.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:11 PM
mister ed
1st Gear Member

I put my GT muffler on last night,I didn't have to do anything in regards to the GT tip. Fits fine.

Old 03-30-2007, 11:29 PM
Dennis074.0
3rd Gear Member

how does the GT takeoff sound compared to stock V6, I just got my flowmaster AT muffler installed yesterday afternoon and I LOVE IT, it has a nice loud growl when driving, and when at idle it sounds nice and deep, and the tip is big unlike the GT take off.

do you have to press the gas in the on position then start the car up everytime, or just once?
Old 03-31-2007, 01:53 AM
jrudolph

I tried the gas pedal thing, I don't know, it seams to have a quicker pick up, maybe its in my head. I did it once and have turned the car on and off several times and it seams the same, quicker. As for the sound Its not bad for a low price upgrade. at idle its about the same, but you do hear it on acceleration. I know its not as lound as a Flowmaster, but I have a convertible and I think the GT is fine. Duals would sound nicer, but it is a 6 and thats what I wanted. If I want reallyloud pipes I'll ride my motorcycle.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:33 PM
SatinSilverStang
2nd Gear Member

as for clearance issues, i'll answer any qestions concerning what I did to make it fit better.

Here's My Thread About The GT Take-off

Old 03-31-2007, 01:11 PM
afixer
5th Gear Member

as far as disconnecting the bat goes . are cars computer learns your driving style and adapts. if you drive in alot of bumper to bumper and city driving it adjusts for that. back in the early days before we had tuners . we used to unhook the bat wounce and a while to reset the
ECU and the car would be alittle quicker. then in around july if i remember SCT came out with the first x-cals what a dif. i actually got one of the first beta units . i know that because when chris johnson came out to do the first tune on my x-charger he told me. the cool thing was he replaced it with a brand new one. anyway a few of us thought we were nuts but after a while the car would seam slower and if you reflashed the tune, the additional power was back!. now thats been almost 2 years now and i have changed my tune many times since then . track tunes, vallet tunes, street tunes, winter gas tunes and such. so disconecting the batt once and a while for about 20 min isnt such a bad thing, i know back whe i prototyped the
AFE cold air kit in August of 05 they unhooked my bat for 30 min. and then had me drive for 500 miles to see if it would throw a CEL. it did at 425 miles and they changet the MAF tube and then i did another 500 miles and it was ok. it takes about 500 miles for everthing to settle in.

Ss far as the trottle lag goes. the tuner is the best way to go. but i remember when someone figured out about the calibration and it does help. and its free. the trottle lag has got to be my biggest complaint about our cars. so i would recomend disconnecting the bat once a while and doing the calibration if you dont want a tuner.

good luck and enjoy

Tom

oh yea and i have dual gt take offs

Quick Reply: question on muffler replacment & hesatation on acceleration