Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

What's the difference, X,Y or H?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 12:46 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Default What's the difference, X,Y or H?

A local shop that I want to get my dual GT Mufflers on (a shop that my Ford dealer suggested) told me they recommended x pipe. They also told me they could do it for $80-100....if I bought the Flowmaster Conversion kit.

OK, what's the difference as far as mph, hp or vibration on the X, Y or H pipes?

Where would I get the best price on that conversion kit?
Old 05-17-2007, 01:56 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Default RE: What's the difference, X,Y or H?

On a naturally aspirated (NA) 4.0L V6, there has been no documented proof that duals add any HP or torque versus a good aftermarket single muffler (or even a GT take-off). Personally, I went with a Ford x-pipe and GT mid-pipe, hangers and mufflers. Sounds great, but I don't think there was any performance benefit.

The price your shop quoted is fine - does that include cutting your bumper? I cut mine myself.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:13 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 28HopUp

On a naturally aspirated (NA) 4.0L V6, there has been no documented proof that duals add any HP or torque versus a good aftermarket single muffler (or even a GT take-off). Personally, I went with a Ford x-pipe and GT mid-pipe, hangers and mufflers. Sounds great, but I don't think there was any performance benefit.

The price your shop quoted is fine - does that include cutting your bumper? I cut mine myself.
No, I think I have to do that myself.

Where did you get them from?

If I have the shop do all with work plus parts except the GT Mufflers they quoted me $400-450. I was wondering if it would be cheaper to get the parts and have them install it?
Old 05-17-2007, 03:06 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

ORIGINAL: 07 Stang

If I have the shop do all with work plus parts except the GT Mufflers they quoted me $400-450. I was wondering if it would be cheaper to get the parts and have them install it?
Going from memory, my costs were:
[ul][*]GT mufflers - $80 (eBay)[*]GT mid-pipe - $105 (Ford)[*]GT hangers (2) - $85(Ford)[*]GT x-pipe - $99 (eBay)[*]Labor - $120, but $20 was for a missing clamp[/ul]

That's $489 total, but it's all-Ford parts and I am very pleased with the results.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:22 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 07 Stang

Going from memory, my costs were:
[ul][*]GT mufflers - $80 (eBay)[*]GT mid-pipe - $105 (Ford)[*]GT hangers (2) - $85(Ford)[*]GT x-pipe - $99 (eBay)[*]Labor - $120, but $20 was for a missing clamp[/ul]

That's $489 total, but it's all-Ford parts and I am very pleased with the results.
Thanks....isn't the Flowmaster Conversion Kit mufflers? I don't need mufflers, I bought two from a guy on this forum. So I wonder why they told me I needed that?
I saw on one site that you can get GT hangers for around $26.00. I don't know if that includes shipping and handling, but it sounds reasonable.

What do you think about Ninosport's Bolt on Conversion Kit? From what I understand, there is no cutting or welding involved and is perfect for the GT Takeoff mufflers....$279.95....free shipping. What's your opinionon this?