Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

What to do next?

Old 07-26-2007, 02:06 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

Default RE: What to do next?

You wont make any extra on an N/A car if you switch to duals. Some people have lost power from it (but lets not make this thread about duals...). Underdrive pulleys are pretty expensive for what you are getting. Unless you can grab a used one, you wont get more than 10rwhp. The install will run you $1-200. Performance camshafts are not available from N/A 4.0's, but check with PowerHouse411. However, it is gunna run you much over $500, probably around $2000. Getting a bigger MAF is useless unless you are running some mad power, some of the guys with high 300's are not running them and are fine. You definitely dont need one. As for ported heads, once again, you are going to be above your price range, they are about $3000, and they dont give much of a gain, it will put you around 220-235rwhp. What you probably should do is get a better driveshaft. If not, probably just save up for a f/i system
Old 07-26-2007, 02:34 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: azstanglover

How about a new one piece driveshaft.
I don't like the way our driveshafts are rusting. My car is only 8 months old and I can see surface rust on the driveshaft as well as the wheel arms. Later on down the road, I want to switch it out with an aluminum one.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:39 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

UDP is about it then huh?
Thanx
Old 08-31-2007, 10:04 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Did gears and t-lok, next best bang for buck with least side effect is the aluminum driveshaft. UDP's give a little less gain for pretty much the smae cost plus the possibility of electrical problems. And our driveshaft aren't safe a thigh speeds so it's a must if u love racing and/or highway driving!!!
Old 09-05-2007, 01:04 AM
Glacial
1st Gear Member

Given everything that you've done here?

Nitrous.

Ported heads are just about gainless on a N/A car -- Gash05 over at the Collective got a small gain from SSM's Stage2+ heads on his N/A car. Cams would have to be custom ground, which sounds mighty expensive, and cam installs on these cars are a nightmare. Also, I'm pretty sure the rockers are roller-type right out of the factory!

Bigger MAF shouldn't achieve much, since as I understand it the intake manifold's a bigger restriction than the MAF housing.

UDP'd work, but for a couple hundred more you could get a major gain from a N2O kit...

But an aluminum driveshaft is a good idea, especially if you like to drive fast.

Just my .02
Old 09-05-2007, 01:14 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Thanx for the help glacial, got the aluminum driveshaft due to safety concerns, less weight, and more rwhp. Next I probably am gonna due SSMstage2heads and cam which will probably run $3k-$3.6k with or w/o install and a dyno tune. I don't like nitrous only b/c u don't have the power all the time. Someone dyno'd 230rwhp just with stage 2+ heads, was that the gains Gash05 saw on his? That's not that bad imo, 45hp for $1,600 heads. SSM has a cam that doesn't need to be regrinded, u just have to install and maybe send urs in fora rebate. The cam is $600 and should show gains of at least 20hp which would give me at least 65hp for the $3-$3.6k which isn't that badb/c a regular x-charger goes for that and w/o install and shows about the same gains, but heads and cam do less damage to ur engine. Thanx for the ideas and input!
Old 09-05-2007, 05:43 PM
Glacial
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SteelStang05

Thanx for the help glacial, got the aluminum driveshaft due to safety concerns, less weight, and more rwhp. Next I probably am gonna due SSMstage2heads and cam which will probably run $3k-$3.6k with or w/o install and a dyno tune. I don't like nitrous only b/c u don't have the power all the time. Someone dyno'd 230rwhp just with stage 2+ heads, was that the gains Gash05 saw on his? That's not that bad imo, 45hp for $1,600 heads. SSM has a cam that doesn't need to be regrinded, u just have to install and maybe send urs in fora rebate. The cam is $600 and should show gains of at least 20hp which would give me at least 65hp for the $3-$3.6k which isn't that badb/c a regular x-charger goes for that and w/o install and shows about the same gains, but heads and cam do less damage to ur engine. Thanx for the ideas and input!
Gash dyno'd 215whp/238wtq after the heads, but then later found out the shop he went to inflates dyno numbers embarasssingly -- after a long custom dyno session with Doug he managed to make 202whp on a Dynojet.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:43 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

That's not good, r u sure? cause I don't see how someone could sell $1,600 heads that only make 15hp? And if someone dyno'd 40rwhp, something isn't right.Must be something with his car, Did he get it dynod when the car was hot? Was his only needing a change? Was anything running wrong with his car? If that was true, that much hp for that little gain, that's the biggest ripoff ever. Check it to make sure if there the same heads and other stuff, they could have been stage 1 heads but stage 2+ with that much of a difference with another car getting 40rwhp just isn't right, even if those things I said made it worse it wouldn't be more than a 15hp difference I believe.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:31 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

I am pretty sure that Gash got 230rwhp on the mustang dyno
Old 09-06-2007, 12:32 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Somebody please find out where gash is and ask him, I see people saying gash got 210rw on the dyno and others saying 230rw and others saying those dynos were bad he needs another dyno run. Where is he? BTW, according to SSM, they said there stage 2+headsdyno at least30rwhp(about 35fwhp)aloneeasy. Anyone know what stage 3 heads get or should with the extra porting and aluminum things? Thanx.

Search this Thread