Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Worth Modifying? (07 Auto V6) and more questions!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 01:16 AM
aw3748

Default Worth Modifying? (07 Auto V6) and more questions!!!

So i gota 07 v6 mustang couple weeks ago cuz im too poor to get a gt lol gota pay for college too. well its my first car that im paying for and i LOVE it and now i am in love with all types of mustangs forever till the end of time!!! i had my moms 96 caravan beforehand. I would've loved to get a 5 speed but i got an auto. Wat i would like to know issss. . . typically how well do auto cars do when you modify them, are they worth modifying? and will flooring it all the time bring up problems in the future? (cuz i love to beat my friends probe gt all the time so i must floor it) and is it good to put the car in 1 then 2 then 3 then D cuz i dont do it now but will performance be affected when doing this and does that do any harm to the engine? i just wana learn all i can. . .all answers are appreciated. Thanks you guys.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:53 AM
Nsomnia
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Worth Modifying? (07 Auto V6) and more questions!!!

Depends on hte modifications. 400 dollars can get you a funner car, 4000 dollars can get you an 11 second car.
Flooring it as long as its not at every stoplight wont do much harm, engine life will be affected obviously though.
Going 1,2,3,D wont nessicarily do any harm as the computer will only shift if its safe, however, theres no point unless you specifically need lower gears.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:54 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

A custom tune and a Cold Air Intake (CAI) will wake up your car, and being an auto the shifts will be improved and the throttle lag reduced. Package deals are available from VMP and Evolution Performance (look on the Sponsor Page). A GT take-off muffler is cheap (<$80 typically on fleabay), and will improve the sound and performance too.

Once you are bitten by the Modding Bug, you can look at adding gears (our stock gears are 3.31:1) and a Limited Slip Differential (LSD, like a t-lock or Detroit Tru-Trak). GT take-off 17" Bullitt tires/rims are available pretty cheap, and are an improvement over the 16" BFG's (that was my experience at least).
Old 08-06-2007, 01:14 PM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

Typically how well do auto cars do when you modify them, are they worth modifying?
A tune will make the automatic transmission shift faster and more firmly. V6's respond pretty good to mods, whether its worth it or not is up to you. Being in school and having no money, it may be a good idea to save your money for school.

Will flooring it all the time bring up problems in the future?
Yes it will wear the engine down more than just driving it normally, but you probably wouldn't have any problems for a very long time.

Is it good to put the car in 1 then 2 then 3 then D cuz i dont do it now but will performance be affected when doing this and
does that do any harm to the engine?

I personally don't think that shifting manually makes a difference. You won't do any damage to the engine but if you downshift the transmission alot you may wear down the clutches faster.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:15 PM
aw3748

exactly what does a custom tune do? and what are the steps taken to do it?
Old 08-06-2007, 01:16 PM
aw3748

thanks for the input u guys. im just trying to learn all i can
Old 08-07-2007, 12:00 AM
my first mustang
3rd Gear Member

A tune will get rid of that terrible auto trans LAG and add some HP and fun. With a cai and GT muffler about 25 HP at the rear wheels.You will get 3 tunes withthe tuner,so you can make one a mileage tune. My highway mileage improved from 24.5 mpg to 29.1 mpg. Very easy to use,just plug in(port under steering wheel on dash) and follow instructions. Takes about 5 mins. I recommend VMPtuning,he is a sponsor of this forum. He has a 4.0 V-6 performance package for a very decent price,too.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:06 PM
aw3748

so people have like 3 different tunes, one for mileage so i guess ur car gets bettar mpg, one for i guess performance? so ur car performs better and wat would the 3rd be? and do u have to set it to a certain tune before you start your car or can u do it while ur driving? (obviously i am completely clueless )
Old 08-07-2007, 08:04 PM
my first mustang
3rd Gear Member

You do it with the car off,reset the computer,restart carand off you go.I have the 87 mileage tune ,the 87 performance tune and the 93 performance tune.They also has tunes for 89,91,92,93,race gas,ect,ect.Some have toque tunes,mileage tunes and performance tunes.Your choice.Tell them how you drive and they can help you with your choice. Whatever your choice you will love it.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:29 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

well on the worth modifying subject, no, it is not worth it to modify any car, you loose any money and will never be able to get what you put into it

is it worth modifying from a enthuisiest stand point? absolutely

i suggest
VMP SCT tune with CAI

exhaust

4.10s/LSD

in that order

Quick Reply: Worth Modifying? (07 Auto V6) and more questions!!!