Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Axle back exhaust installation...my story.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 02:10 PM
musicheadt
3rd Gear Member

Default Axle back exhaust installation...my story.

I got my new Race Pro axleback muffler delivered today from Pypes (site sponsor I think)
Installation went smoothly for the most part.
Here is a step by step of what do to...and in some cases...what NOT to do.
1. I backed my car up the loading ramp where I work so I could have better access to the rear end and be in the shade.
2. I loosened the bolt on the clamp bracket securing my old muffler to the pipe going to the Catalytic converter, I started here first to make sure the muffler wasn't actually clamped AND welded to this pipe. luckily....it was not welded.
3. I removed and saved the bolts connecting the hangar brackets to the frame, thinking it would be easier to remove the hangars once I had the old muffler off.
4. Once I got the hangars un-bolted...the muffler pulled right out of the rear pipe with a little tug and a bit of a twist. pretty easy....
5. I placed the old hangars on my new muffler and got the new muffler onto the rear pipe ...be sure to put the new clamp on the muffler before you slip it over the rear pipe and bolt the hangars back up.
6. After bolting everything back on, I checked for clearance of tailpipe and body, I found it to be a little off center. A few quick tugs on the rubber hangars, and everything lined up pretty well.(the hangars allow for a little bit of side to side adjustment)
I used basic hand-tools for this install. Socket wrench, open end wrench on the forward hangar. that was it.
I'm pretty happy with the way the muffler sounds, deeper, more throaty. Sounds more like I think a V-6 Mustang SHOULD.......not as good as the V-8's....but MUCH improved over stock.
The Race Pro muffler I got is kind of timid sounding if you are Grandma driving, but it will definately sing a nice tune when you stand on it a little. If you push the clutch down, and rev the engine.....people will know you are there. :-) It does drone a little....but I have a fix for that!......I slid an AC/DC CD into the deck and bumped up the volume a few notches. I didn't notice the drone on the drive home.

That's my story guys and gals....this was a simple mod, even for a beginner.
Total Cost $129.00 muffler overnight shipped from Pypes, self installed.
side note, Pypes claims 5-8 RWHP gains with this muffler. *shrugs* I bought it for the SOUND!