Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Manual tranny questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 03:08 PM
harlanb1
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Manual tranny questions

Thanks for the info LaserRed
I guessa single piece drive shaft is next on my list of upgrades.

Now, does anyone have any info on the lurching while starting out in first gear?
Old 10-12-2007, 03:25 PM
acrokat
2nd Gear Member

Wellllll,

Some of the clunkyness is resolved with the one piece DS. Some people have suggested a new flange on the transmission side while others have suggested different transmission oils.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:06 PM
stoneblue
2nd Gear Member

I know what you mean about the Lurching when starting out. I think it is the drive by wire. It"s like a dead spot in the pedle. Not sure if theres a fix for that.Gas pedle not the clutch
Old 10-13-2007, 12:37 AM
angera

Yeah, the lurching...I hold the clutch in a little longer but I've had those embarassing "am I a new driver?" moments myself.

The notchiness, stiffness, and clunkadonk seem to be normal. I asked the same questions about a month ago. I have noticed that the clutch is loosening up. But you do hear that cathunkadonk in there when shifting.

I'm not going to change to an aluminum doodad though. I mean, if I am going to be flushing a whole bunch of money down the toilet on mods, I may as well buy exactly what I want with no further tinkering required. Srsly, a new driveshaft can't be cheap, right?
Old 10-16-2007, 09:26 AM
ausdauer

I'm glad I came upon this post. I've been driving my beautiful new '07 5 speedfor a couple of weeks. I noticed right away the clutch noise and lurchiness, and almost an unstableness in the low gears. I too am a very experienced manual driver. When I'm at a stop, if I put it in neutral, there's some strange noises going on, then if I put it in 1st and clutch it, yet remain stationary, the noise stops. I think I'm going to go the dealership and have this one mechanic (a self-proclaimed Mustang freak!) ride with me in it. Ford needs to get their act together if this is a consistent problem!

[IMG]local://upfiles/81761/A4C25836240347C59C6BD521E0867FA3.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-18-2007, 10:54 AM
Epsom

I was having the same problem with my car. The lurching forward in low gears and generally running poorly in first. I thought it was driver error on my part but seeing as I have been driving standard transmission for years I doubted that. My car started stalling in idle too. So to her to the dealership and come to find out...my throttle body was dying. So they replaced it. Now the problem is completly gone! It runs like my old toyota truck. I really think it is the drive by wire system, if it keeps doing it have the dealership check out the throttle body. It was like night and day in my car for driving in low gears
Old 10-30-2007, 07:48 PM
oi8achevy
2nd Gear Member

i work at a shop that services cars for a largelocal used car dealership. ive driven alot of 40s and GTs. the 40s definitly have shown signs of tranny and rearend wear. some you can tell have been thrashed so bad you dont dare drive beyond the parking lot. i bought my 40 back in march and noticed your second issue progressively worsen over the summer. i took it to the dealer and they ended up installing a whole new tranny($2000) and rebuilding the rearend($900) under warranty. problem solved......for now. glad i bought an extended warranty.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:08 PM
p51mstg
2nd Gear Member

I've had my 07 for about 7 months now, and have been overall very happy with it. If there's a weak link, however, it's between the engine and the rear wheels.

If this tranny is supposed to be a decsendent of the one in my 94GT, I think it was a step backward. I seem to have the most problem shifting from 1st to 2nd under max acceleration - almost guaranteed to miss it every single time. To avoid it, I have to go all out in 1st, push in the clutch and wait....... as soon as the load is taken off the drivetrain, I can shift into 2nd and to maximum warp.

There's supposed to be some kind of "k-brace" that one can buy to fix this, but I've looked all over and can't find one for sale. If anyone has a link, I'd appreciate having it posted.

I've read a lot of posts about noise. The only "extra" noise I hear is in 4th. The other gears don't seem to be nearly as noisy.

Another thing I noticed is starting out is more difficult - kind of what other people seem to be experiencing. I put 100,000 miles on two different 5.0 Mustangs, and I've probably killed my 07 more times than both of those put together.

Teaching 5-speed newbies how to drive one of the 5.0's was fun - within about 15 minutes of working the clutch, I could usually have them burning rubber. With the 4.0, it's more of a finesse thing.I was looking forward to teaching my daughter how to drive a 5-speed, but soon discovered that this was something that would require a lot more practice for her.

I doubt what I'm seeing is a flaw or something that should be brought in for warranty - it's more the nature of the design. Maybe I'm just not observant enough to spot a real problem, but I don't think I'm seeing problems that are as serious as others have posted.

Still, a few bucks more spent on R&D would've netted a much better drive shaft and much smoother tranny, IMO.