Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Transmission swap ?

Old 01-09-2008, 04:16 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Default RE: Transmission swap ?

Go for it then. Can't beat those kind of prices[8D].
Post back the pros and cons...We can all learn from it.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:08 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MN Moose

ORIGINAL: SteelStang05

Guy did a swap like this on 4.0 collective forums, still cost him over $2.5k I thinkand I think he installed the parts himself.
Actually the guy on the collec-tive that is doing the swap is still in the process. And he got everything INCLUDING the tranny for under $500.

So $500 for a manual tranny swap does not seem unreasonable to me.
Really? I remember it being more costly? I know I pm'd him when I was with collective and he said it was going to cost a lot for me and he still needed to get a few more parts to complete it. If you can get this guy to swap stuff though, Shipping will still be a few hundread and if your gonna install everything yourself, it will take a few days of your time. So unless your putting aside a whole weekend to do this, your gonna have to look into a rental car. Or, if your letting a shop do this, you're gonna need a rental car too and hope they don't have any other installs/projects for the day. Either way, this method's gonna cost $500 probably with a rental car if you can do the install(it probably will be pretty hard swapping tranny's and doing all the custom fabbing and stuff. I'd suggest a mechanic to do it, and one that will insure it(b/c if you mess this up, your looking at pretty expensive bills). Labor will probably be $2k like I said. I would say, go for it if you can get the guy to trade everything you need. The cost of shipping/labor/ and a rental won't be more than $3k and that's reasonable for the swap. I still would just trade in my car if I were you and eat a little bit of me(probably only lose $1k most, if even that, butyou shouldsell your car not through adealershipand not buy a car from a dealership). It's easier that way and you'll pretty much have the same miles on your car. Unless you have put a lot of mods on your car, just save yourself some stress and reliability issues and go this path. Good Luck with whatever you choose though!
Old 01-09-2008, 05:15 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

i could understand the reasoning from going auto to manual but manny to auto sounds like a better reason to get a second car for your commutes. also, you'll save some wear & tear on your stang. JMO.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:18 PM
07lane40
3rd Gear Member

+1. buy a beater. cause once you convert, you lose the fun of the 5-speed and you wont get it back. well. atleast not unless you convert it back. lol.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:37 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

yeah, dont sacrifice your stang for daily traffic reasons. If an auto stang is what you want ANYWAYS, then do what you gotta do. i love my auto but daily grind traffic jams wasnt the reasoni chose it. i like cruising and stomping without f***ing around with pushing clutches and shifting gears. maybe when i get a gt500, then i'll love the manny again [8D].
Old 01-09-2008, 05:56 PM
MN Moose
1st Gear Member

what are you referring to when you say custom fabbing? There is no fabrication involved. Like i said its a basic swap once you have everything, and there really isn't too much to get. I have a second car so a rental would not be needed. And this swap would probably take two days max if i have everything the day i start.

I don't know how mechanically inclined other people are around here, but this is a lot simpler than the 3.73 gears and tlok that i just installed over christmas break. Just my opinion though.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:24 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

what are you referring to when you say custom fabbing? There is no fabrication involved. Like i said its a basic swap once you have everything, and there really isn't too much to get. I have a second car so a rental would not be needed. And this swap would probably take two days max if i have everything the day i start.

I don't know how mechanically inclined other people are around here, but this is a lot simpler than the 3.73 gears and tlok that i just installed over christmas break. Just my opinion though.
i believe you. i would still rather get a beater for daily grind traffic. as i said earlier, the auto 2 manny makes more sense unless he really wants the auto anyways. what brand of gears do you have and do you get any whine?
Old 01-09-2008, 06:47 PM
z06stang
1st Gear Member

Jake, are you thinking on doing the 4.6 and manual swap all at once? thats the vibe i'm kinda getting from you. if so cool especially with Brad finishing up the trans swap and all the others doing the motor swaps.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:15 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Is the transmission $500 shipped?
I see, I was thinking that custom fabbing could be the clutch pedal, tranmission(not sure if their a direct fit and replacement with each other), andstick shifter/auto shifter(factory created is different from aftermarket switched). I also forgot which you mentioned, you may need to rent or borrow parts which could be costly or hard. I was just suggesting to look at your options. With what your saying is, I can see it would cost you about the same money to sell and buy a stick car as it would to do the swap if you install everything yourself(most likely $600-$1k). The difference is, would you want the headache of test driving and talking to other people or working a bunch of hrsin the driveway for2 days?Good Luck with whatever!
Old 01-10-2008, 12:32 AM
MN Moose
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: z06stang

Jake, are you thinking on doing the 4.6 and manual swap all at once? thats the vibe i'm kinda getting from you. if so cool especially with Brad finishing up the trans swap and all the others doing the motor swaps.
Yep thats the route im gonna go once spring semester gets closer to letting out and i have a little more time and funds for it. I'm sure hoping i can follow yourself and tino. I have 100% confidence that i could do the swap in two weeks if i have everything required to do it in my garage (so that means i need to get an engine dolly first).

and i got the FRPP gears and tlok. I got them used to the gears were already broken in and there is a little whine @ 35 mph and 55 mph. It is no where near what i thought it was going to sound like, i can barely hear it.

steelstang, i see your points, but i have already heavily looked into the auto to manual swap and I KNOW for a fact i could do it for under $500. The reason i would do this and not trade in my car for another one is: i like my current set up, i like everything i've already done to my car, and most of all i enjoy working on it. I've done all the work on it myself (exhaust, headers, rear end, stripes, axle housing, and even the simple stuff) i dont know if you take your car to the shop to get everything done but i personally prefer to save myself money and i like doing it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission swap ?