Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

single gt takeoff muffler installed...opinion

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 10:42 AM
joeymustang
2nd Gear Member

Default single gt takeoff muffler installed...opinion

i installed a gt muffler a few days back. Install was easy about 30 minutes taking out and installing (one bolt that is on top of the muffler is a pain). I used the car for like two days without the muffler. It was very loud but at WOT I liked the sound it had. When i turned on the car with the gt muff i noticed that the sound was'nt what I thought it would sound like. I thought that it would be a little louder than what it is. I have no rattles, no drone and to hear it i have to put the windows down when I'm on a underground tunnel or something similar.

Is this the same feedback many of you have had?
Old 01-08-2008, 02:23 PM
Rob B

Default RE: single gt takeoff muffler installed...opinion

I put a true dual Pypes exhaust system on mine with the street pro mufflers. Needless to say I removed the mufflers and put some GT take offs on instead. Loved the sound of the Street pros but the drone on the highway was a little to much for my me so I replaced them. Interested in some barely used street pro's with the 4" chrome tips? They sound great at WOT, The GT mufflers sound nice but nothing like the Street pro's. Make you a helluva deal on them!
Old 01-08-2008, 06:19 PM
Fallout
3rd Gear Member

think about it, the GT take off are still only a stock muffler, they arent designed to be loud, they were made to give the GT's a nice rumble without being obnoxious, you cant really expect a stock muffler, even if it is off a GT, to be loud especially on a V6
Old 01-09-2008, 07:00 AM
Dean Martin
2nd Gear Member

I ran a single GT take-off for a few months and had the same experience, it's an incremental improvement, no a huge change.

I have since switched to duals, H pipe, and GT take-offs. Like Rob noted, it's not the loudest setup, but I drive a ton of highway miles and this does not drone.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:38 AM
joeymustang
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dean Martin

I ran a single GT take-off for a few months and had the same experience, it's an incremental improvement, no a huge change.

I have since switched to duals, H pipe, and GT take-offs. Like Rob noted, it's not the loudest setup, but I drive a ton of highway miles and this does not drone.
is yours auto or 5spd? what difference did you find by running the duals? a friend of mine has x with dual gt take off and sounds ok...havent heard one with a h pipe up close since we are the only ones in the "group" with v6 lol
Old 01-09-2008, 03:52 PM
cefiro80
2nd Gear Member

I would go with pypes, stingers, or some long headers to get a sound that you will be happy about.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:22 PM
Dean Martin
2nd Gear Member

5 speed here. I did the duals mostly for the looks, and although it did make the overall sound louder, it's not by much.

I like the fact that I can easily switch out for any GT axle back setup now if I feel the urge.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:15 PM
Black GT
4th Gear Member

Takeoffs from an auto GT have a different part number than those from a manual GT. The manual takeoffs are louder and sound better.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:36 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dean Martin

5 speed here. I did the duals mostly for the looks, and although it did make the overall sound louder, it's not by much.

I like the fact that I can easily switch out for any GT axle back setup now if I feel the urge.
That's what I like about the duals now.....I can switch out the GT mufflers later with a pair of Corsas or Borlas.