Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Transmission swap ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 08:11 PM
ortcele
1st Gear Member

Default Transmission swap ?

How much would it cost to get an automatic transmission? The reason I ask is that I now have to drive in rush hour traffic for almost 2hrs in the morning. So I started looking at some used cars around $700 ish area. Then I thought why not keep my working ac and everything else in my 2006 v6 with 35,000 miles and maybe swap in an auto transmission. If any one has any idea how much it would cost with installation please post.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:46 PM
MN Moose
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Transmission swap ?

i'll trade you my auto trans (33,000 miles on it), the auto wiring harness, ecu, pedal assembly and everything you need to make it an auto if you trade me everything i need to swap mine into a manual

let me know
Old 01-08-2008, 09:08 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

You guys are in for a headacke[8D].
Good luck to both of you.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:21 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

stick with the idea of getting a cheaper 2nd car.....for the same price as you are going to pay for the swap you can get a good 2nd car
Old 01-08-2008, 09:55 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: howarmat

stick with the idea of getting a cheaper 2nd car.....for the same price as you are going to pay for the swap you can get a good 2nd car
I thought about this once too. If you can't do the install yourself, it will be very costly to do. And even when your done, you can't guarantee you won't have any problems with it.If you can't do it yourself, I'd definitly ask around for quotes after you've figured out everything you have to change and see who will do it and for how much. Your definitely gonna need tofind a performance shop todo this. Good Luck if you go this way!
Old 01-09-2008, 12:50 AM
MN Moose
1st Gear Member

have either of you guys even looked into the transmission swap? I've been looking into it for quite some time and it is not that hard of a swap. Not much is involved besides swapping the required components. Its not like you have to cut a hole in the firewall for the cluth pedal, everything is electronically controlled these days.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:13 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

A "swap" as in you actually switch parts out and not have to buy all the parts wouldnt be bad if you can get the PCM setup for cheap....but if you have to acquire all of the parts and not trade them with someone will be 2500-3000 probably...enough that i would like to get a new call altogether.....you are better of just selling the stang and getting a new auto one with new warranty etc.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:31 AM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Guy did a swap like this on 4.0 collective forums, still cost him over $2.5k I thinkand I think he installed the parts himself. If he didn't, install alone would run over $2k easily. $4.5k to get a stick or auto=not worth it. Hell, I can get a ford taurus/hyundai as a beater car for $3k or lesswith under70k miles on it. Like howarmat said, not worth it. If it was, I would have definitly done it. But I'm not spending money stupidly so $4k to boost my hp from 190rwhp-285rwhp w/x-charger> spending $4k+ to play w/a manual. OR:
Ford Taurus/hyundai beater car taking your work commute milage> high milage stang needing a rebuild quickeror you needing tobuy a new car to have reliabilityeven though youjust spent $4k+ on a transmission swap. Trading the stang in for one with similar milage would be cheaper and save you a lot of time(finding labor shop, getting quotes, car in the shop, getting a rental car, etc).

Edit: I forgot to mention shipping. Shipping a transmission and all those other parts safely to each other is gonna cost at least a couple hundread dollars, possibly more.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:07 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

ORIGINAL: MN Moose

have either of you guys even looked into the transmission swap? I've been looking into it for quite some time and it is not that hard of a swap. Not much is involved besides swapping the required components. Its not like you have to cut a hole in the firewall for the cluth pedal, everything is electronically controlled these days.
We're not trying to discourage you. Far from it...
But it's the eternal question: Is it worth it for you? Or is there a better option?
Definitly doable, yes.At what price?

The old days were a piece of cake... The pain in the @ss part was the pedals switch with the Z bar mechanism. Poke an extra hole in the firewall for the manual version and do your wrenching, you're there. Not a lotof parts to track down as opposed as today.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:22 AM
MN Moose
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SteelStang05

Guy did a swap like this on 4.0 collective forums, still cost him over $2.5k I thinkand I think he installed the parts himself.
Actually the guy on the collec-tive that is doing the swap is still in the process. And he got everything INCLUDING the tranny for under $500.

So $500 for a manual tranny swap does not seem unreasonable to me.

Quick Reply: Transmission swap ?