Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Yukon Gears?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 04:46 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

Default Yukon Gears?

well since FRPP isnt making 7.5 gears anymore, i was looking up v6mustangstuff and they have Yukon gears. Anyone know the reputation on these? good/bad/so so? price on these is decent so helpful feedback would be much appreciated.
thanks.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:43 AM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Yukon Gears?

just a note, i did do research on gears and most of the debate has been FRPP vs. Motive with all reviews being as inconsistent as a politician. not much at all on yukon. the only thing that comes close to being agreed upon is that Motive gears will whine bad more times than not. i'm trying to put my order in for some 3.73's/lsd by end of this week but just wanted to make sure i purchase the best option. thanks again.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:58 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

I am seriously considering just getting a 8.8 take off axel with the 4.10's. It's more expensive, but it will be a better move in the long run I think. I just wish I knew the quality of the take off 4.10's in the 8.8 rear ends... anyone?
Old 02-18-2008, 11:58 AM
Jsierzega
3rd Gear Member

you could always get the gt take off with 4.10's or 3.73's, i know its a 8.8 rear end and the price is upwards of 900 but by the time you get the tlok and gears installed on the 7.5 it will be similar in price. + you'll have a stronger rear end incase you go f/i
Old 02-18-2008, 12:22 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jsierzega

you could always get the gt take off with 4.10's or 3.73's, i know its a 8.8 rear end and the price is upwards of 900 but by the time you get the tlok and gears installed on the 7.5 it will be similar in price. + you'll have a stronger rear end incase you go f/i
i looked into the 8.8 also but just thought i could get away cheaper with upgrading the 7.5. what other parts are needed when swapping for a 8.8? i'm sure it isnt a direct swap.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:06 PM
ricekiller06
2nd Gear Member

im going with Strange gears (3.73's)
havent had the chance to install them but ill let you know how they work
i got them for 150$
i think there is one other guy on here that has Stranges and he loves them, no problems
Old 02-18-2008, 01:11 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Yukon is a smaller company that makes alot of different gears for off roading, racing and street driving. The shop that is doing my rear differential is going to use these gears I have never heard of them. I asked someone who has been in the drag racing scene for 30 years or so and he thought they were a good company. I think they make some of the private label stuff that some companies sell as their own.

They seem to be a little more expensive then the FRPP but the install kit is a little less, making the overall cost a wash.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:21 PM
JimC

My understanding is that the Motives, properly installed, don't have a tendency to whine. If Yukons are popular for off-roading and racing, then my guess is that like Richmond's they will whine. Racing gears are built tough, but they will whine - Richmonds are popular with racers and very strong but they are straight cut and will whine despite the set up.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:19 PM
Jsierzega
3rd Gear Member

what does this whining sound like? might be a stupid Q
what i ment is, does it sound like a grinding whine?
Old 02-18-2008, 09:04 PM
JimC

It is a high pitched sound, not a grinding sound, like a very loud hum (maybe a very big and loud mosquito). It travels through the car and it is usually worse at one speed under load, you may hear it on coasting also. For example in my car at about 68 mph it is very loud and high pitched "scream" sound - at 75 barely audible and at 80 is gone completely.

If you hear grinding, then you have a different problem.

Quick Reply: Yukon Gears?