Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Would T-Lok have helped?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 10:49 AM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Would T-Lok have helped?

the GT comes standard with t-lok/lsd. just seems like a marketing strategy to keep a balance about which features will go on which car so that niether one gets left behind in expected sales.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:56 AM
Epimetheus
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: exx1976

Unless you put in a spool (or weld the side/spider gears), there will always be some slip in the diff.

Or you could get a locker.. *CLUNK*

LOL
My dad talks about a "CLUNK" from the old days. So all the have to do is open up the diff drop the axels and put in the T-Loc and most everyone tells me that is also the best time to put gears in as well. I was thinking about the 3.73s instead of the 4.10s I will not be going to the track for anything other than myself. I'm just looking for more or less street performance. With the T-Loc and 3.73s, is that all I'll need or will I have to go with a 8.8 rear end. If that is the case should I just go with a GT take off. I have the pony package if that makes a differance.

Also can anyone direct me to a site or vender so that I can purchase whatI need.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:47 AM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Epimetheus

My dad talks about a "CLUNK" from the old days. So all the have to do is open up the diff drop the axels and put in the T-Loc and most everyone tells me that is also the best time to put gears in as well. I was thinking about the 3.73s instead of the 4.10s I will not be going to the track for anything other than myself. I'm just looking for more or less street performance. With the T-Loc and 3.73s, is that all I'll need or will I have to go with a 8.8 rear end. If that is the case should I just go with a GT take off. I have the pony package if that makes a differance.

Also can anyone direct me to a site or vender so that I can purchase whatI need.
i have ford 3.73's and FRPP t-lok in my garage waiting to be installed. hopefully tomorrow if i can get an appointment in today. i will post a thread on my experience with these LONG AWAITED gears. as to where i purchased, t-lok was $195 (FREE shippping) from chipsv6specialties.com. good vendor. i will definitley purchase through chip again. gears are used but in excellent condition. the plus to this is that they are Ford oem and already broken in.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:54 AM
Epimetheus
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the link I checked it out and I look forward to the update. It says that the 3.73s are the best combo for autos and the plan for F/I.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:52 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

I am having 3.73's anf a t-lok put in, both FRPP. It cost me $785 for parts, labor & tax. I will give you a review once they are broken in, because I will have my gears/t-lok for about a week before my CAI/Tune comes in.

And I went 3.73's because I too have heard that is the best ratio for F/I which is a possibility, if I don't go F/I, then its because I am satisfied with my setup, either way is a win win.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:42 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Just this past Friday I was pulling out of a gas station, like you I check left then right then left again and all was clear. Then out of now where was this woman in a mini-van talking on the cell phone right in front of me! I almost T-Boned her! My guess is she pulled out of a car lot and didn't even look to see if the coast was clear. I'm so glad all is well!
Old 03-04-2008, 06:43 PM
Rdot9
DubStep Stu

How much would it cost to have just a t-lok installed?
Old 03-04-2008, 06:46 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

i say about $250-300
Old 03-04-2008, 08:25 PM
red07Pony
3rd Gear Member

Are you saying$250-300 to include both parts and labor?

So is a better launch the only benifit you get from it?

Does a dealership install that? Or do you have to find a shop to do it?
Old 03-04-2008, 08:27 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

You don't need a GT rear unless you spend A LOT of time a the track.. and even then.. It would take FI power to break our rears.

I did the 3.73/t-lok combo and could not be happier. At first I did not notice much of a difference because I was taking it easy... but for an auto.. it basically keeps the car "ready" to take off at any time.. that's the way I would describe it.

I like the t-lok because that is what i am used to; it's harder to break traction, but once you do you lose it in both wheels.. which makes you fishtail. Personally, I find this car to be very predictable, and have no problems when the rear slips out a little.. especially when i do it on purpose

You will notice a big difference in traction when pulling out of a parking lot/gas station. When turning right, and if you take off with an open differential, you will really burn your drive (right) tire.
With a t-lok, your driver's side tire will grip, allowing you to actually take off and not squeal your peg leg.

ORIGINAL: Epimetheus

ORIGINAL: exx1976

Unless you put in a spool (or weld the side/spider gears), there will always be some slip in the diff.

Or you could get a locker.. *CLUNK*

LOL

Also can anyone direct me to a site or vender so that I can purchase what I need.

Quick Reply: Would T-Lok have helped?