Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Clutch problems with 2006 Mustang and Ford Customer Service.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 08:38 AM
borkenford

Default Clutch problems with 2006 Mustang and Ford Customer Service.

Hello all. I have some information that some of you may find interesting if you own an ’05 or ’06 4.0 V6 Mustang. Just over a year ago I bought a 2006 Mustang from a dealership. I use it as my daily driver and drive about 150 km (almost 100 miles) on the highway daily. As a result the car just rolled over 60,000 kms this week. At about 55,000 kms I noticed the clutch was starting to slip. I figured this wouldn’t be such a big deal since I purchased the most expensive extended warranty that Ford Canada offered. Boy was I wrong. I went to the dealership at the beginning of March, 2008. Even though my “bumper to bumper” warranty was for 5 years, 120,000 km, I was told that clutch was only covered for 1 year or 20,000 kms unless there was something else causing the premature clutch wear. The dealership told me that they would order a new clutch and inspect my car then to see what was causing the problem but that they couldn’t do it before they got the new part since they couldn’t put it back together with the defective clutch.

As I needed my car for work, I agreed to this and they ordered the part; I was to receive a phone call once the new part had arrived. After a week and a half and not receiving any phone calls from the dealership I went in to find out what was going on. It turns out that they couldn’t get a new clutch because ALL of them had been sent to the manufacturer, in Turkey, because of “quality issues”. Furthermore they couldn’t get a new clutch until June, 2008. The only other options they gave me were to void my warranty by putting an aftermarket clutch in my car or call Ford Canada’s Customer Service line.

Without going into all the details here the customer service line was almost completely useless. The CSRs have almost no ability to help you and you have no access to their supervisors. This whole experience has been a complete nightmare and I can’t see myself ever buying a new car from Ford again. Maybe I’ll use this as an excuse to install a stage 3 clutch so I can drop in that supercharger I’ve been waiting on so I didn’t void my warranty.

If you want more information I have started a blog with quite a bit more detail at www.stopthenuisance.com/Ford.htm[/align][/align]Please feel free to visit it and leave a comment if you wish. Hope this info can help someone, especially if you are contemplating buying a new Ford
[/align]- Sean[/align]
Old 03-19-2008, 10:29 AM
laserred02
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Clutch problems with 2006 Mustang and Ford Customer Service.

Unfortunately, Ford is right a clutch is a wear item and is not warrantied unless something caused extreme premature wear. I feel a clutch should last a lot longer than 50k miles so I would hope they would help out on the repair cost. What is more worriesome to me is the fact that most of your driving is highway and the clutch is still going out prematurely.

Did you purchase this car new or was it used? It is possible the first owner abused it. Best of luck on this issue and I am sorry for the trouble you are having. Please keep us informed.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:04 AM
borkenford

I bought this car as a demo from the dealership, I was told that it would be warrantied as new. The dealership put the blame on me basically saying that I probally buggered up the clutch on my own.

Ford Customer Service is doing absolutely nothing, the dealership is doing nothingand now I'm going to be out about $1500 for a new clutch on a car with 60,000 kilometres (not even miles).

At this point I am changing the dealership I deal with and this is EASILY the last new Ford vehicle I will ever purchase.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:33 AM
billybix76
2nd Gear Member

As a small point of clarification, if you install the aftermarket clutch you will only void the warranty for the clutch. All other warranty items you purchased are still in full force. If they claim otherwise they are not being truthful with you....It looks to be your only option at this point to install the spec 3, except find a different Ford ealer to do business with. Stranding a customer is definately NOT warranty service...
Old 04-03-2008, 11:25 AM
DelStang86
2nd Gear Member

Don't feel bad, they just screwed me too. and I'm so enthralled with the fact that they STILL don't have clutches in stock, not that I would want an inferior composite surface clutch from Turkey, mind you. I guess the only option at this point is to take the car to a shop and install an aftermarket clutch...