gear change...breaking in...whine - Page 3 - MustangForums.com

Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

gear change...breaking in...whine

Old 04-29-2008, 07:39 PM
jdphillips73
4th Gear Member

Default RE: gear change...breaking in...whine

ORIGINAL: 157db

*** Clown here.
Pop that cover off, but some gear marker on the ring gear and
give her a spin to see where the gears are meshing at.
It should be right in the middle of the tooth. Not on the tips or heels
nor to far front or to the rear but right in the middle.
Or ask your tech to do it asap.
Three heat cycles and the gears should be broken in.
*** clown actually makes sense.. if you have some marking compound, do exactly what he says and you will know for yourself what is wrong. I have a wear pattern chart for you to analyze exactly what is wrong. pm me if you would like me to send it to you.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:35 PM
themac5150
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MN Moose

Hey man i'm glad you ended up installing your own gears despite all the *** clowns suggesting it's "way too hard". It looks like you and myself are 2 of the few that actually installed their own set of gears.
Hey...I resemble that remark...

Never said it was impossible, but there are some who can't change a fog light bulb, or they loctite their oil drain plug in fear of it coming loose...
I say for some, it's better to let the pro's handle it.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:03 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: themac5150

....I say for some, it's better to let the pro's handle it.
+1.....actually, for most. not all of us have the time and/or resources to do these sort of mods ourselves. gears are part of what makes our cars move so i wouldn't want to f**k anything up since i'm no auto mechanic.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:12 PM
jdphillips73
4th Gear Member

if you have never done it, it can be "daunting" However, once you've done it, you will wonder why you were so scared in the first place. I didn't have to buy any special tools. Really the only thing special is a press, and my neighbor has one. I will never pay someone to do my gears, its a rip-off for those that know how to do it. Many shops that you take it to, don't even know how to do it themselves, but are glad to experiment on your car and charge you for it.

IMO changing my gears was equal to changing the intake and valve cover gaskets on my f150. took the same amount of time and skill.
Old 04-30-2008, 03:34 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jdphillips73

if you have never done it, it can be "daunting" However, once you've done it, you will wonder why you were so scared in the first place. I didn't have to buy any special tools. Really the only thing special is a press, and my neighbor has one. I will never pay someone to do my gears, its a rip-off for those that know how to do it. Many shops that you take it to, don't even know how to do it themselves, but are glad to experiment on your car and charge you for it.

IMO changing my gears was equal to changing the intake and valve cover gaskets on my f150. took the same amount of time and skill.
really?......then i need to make it a point on seeing a gear swap done in person. maybe then i'll feel ripped off. [>:]
Old 04-30-2008, 03:47 PM
jdphillips73
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sancho805

really?......then i need to make it a point on seeing a gear swap done in person. maybe then i'll feel ripped off. [>:]
I bought a 3 hours dvd from badshoeproductions.com for 35 bucks. It walks step by step through out the whole process. If you are thinking about doing it for the first time, and have no one to help you, this is a must.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:00 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

I bought a 3 hours dvd from badshoeproductions.com for 35 bucks. It walks step by step through out the whole process. If you are thinking about doing it for the first time, and have no one to help you, this is a must.
thanks. i may consider that if i decide to do a gear swap in my ranger. 4th gear is weak sauce and 5th is pathetic. [&:]
Old 04-30-2008, 07:37 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Devil Wolf

and ford gears will whine just like any other gear that is not installed correclty.

its not the gear, its the install.
thank you unless the gears are straight cut they shouldnt whine

ORIGINAL: sxynerd

Check to see if you actually bought Ford when they where made through Motive or after. Motive suck.
ok why, i had em in my camaro, my toyota, my stang now, plus all my buddies run them, they are installed correctly with no whine

and motive makes fords gears