Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

8.8 Rear Swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 12:43 AM
danbevsv6rumbler
3rd Gear Member

Default 8.8 Rear Swap

So... after 13 hours (yes... it took FOREVER to do by myself), i FINALLY installed my GT Takeoff 8.8 Rear. After so many things going wrong, I finally got it right.

I have one word to describe it:

Orgasmic.

Yes, it's definitely a NICE change... especially with the 3.55 gears. I really didn't expect much difference, but there's definitely more get up and go, and the car feels WAY more fun to drive.

For anyone thinking of making the leap to t-lok, I recommend it HIGHLY!!! I'll try to get some pictures. I actually ended up paint the rear end with some rustoleum to make it look presentable (in contrast to the rusty looks of the factory axles... BLAH!).

Can't wait to track it [8D]
Old 04-28-2008, 08:20 AM
vtmustangs
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 8.8 Rear Swap

did you order the one from newtakeoff.com? Why did it take so long?
Old 04-28-2008, 09:24 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Glad to hear that the effort was worth it. Post up some ET's after you hit the track...
Old 04-28-2008, 10:15 AM
danbevsv6rumbler
3rd Gear Member

Well, there are a couple reasons why it took so long. First off, this was my first time doing such a project on my car, or any car for that matter. I wanted to take my time pulling things apart to see how they worked and to make sure I understood how it needed to go back together, and in what sequence. I had problems with the garage troll stealing my tools from time totime as they magically disappeared when I needed them most... And I did everything with hand tools, for the most part by myself, so I had get creative. My advice would be to get a second, or even third pair of hands, especially when removing the old axle and/or putting the new one on.

It probably would have helped to use some step-by-step directions...

I didn't get it from newtakeoff.com, although I have had no problems doing business with them before. I ended up buying a used rear end locally (and crossing my fingers) for around $200. In the end it cost me about $250 in total to install the rear-end myself.
Old 06-15-2008, 09:33 PM
CKurello
3rd Gear Member

quick question, I'm looking to swap out my open differential rear for a equal power one, and the one's at newtakeoff.com (looking for 3.31 area) says the GT flange on them only fits the GT. is this true? if so, where can you get a v6 flange to put on there and if not, then will the rear just bolt on? thanks
Old 06-15-2008, 10:40 PM
GrayPony
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CKurello

quick question, I'm looking to swap out my open differential rear for a equal power one, and the one's at newtakeoff.com (looking for 3.31 area) says the GT flange on them only fits the GT. is this true? if so, where can you get a v6 flange to put on there and if not, then will the rear just bolt on? thanks
You'll need a cobra flange part number E9TZ4851A
Old 06-16-2008, 12:10 AM
danbevsv6rumbler
3rd Gear Member

^^^

You'll definitely need the v6 flange
Old 06-16-2008, 12:14 AM
CroDalmatinac
4th Gear Member

That is the V6 flange.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:59 AM
CKurello
3rd Gear Member

Where can I get the replacement flange and will it be an easy swap out?
Old 06-16-2008, 12:44 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CKurello

Where can I get the replacement flange and will it be an easy swap out?
Any ford parts dealership usually has them in stock. I had to swap my flange when I installed a spydershaft on my GT. It wasn't difficult. You just remove the pinion nut, use a gear puller to remove the old flange, install the new flange, put some red loc-tite on the pinion nut and torque it to specifications. I'd imagine it would be even easier with the rear end off of the car. (That way, you could rotate the pinion flange upward so that you don't lose any differential fluid during the swap.)

Quick Reply: 8.8 Rear Swap