Performance upgrades for V6?? - MustangForums.com

Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Performance upgrades for V6??

Old 04-29-2008, 06:59 PM
08V6

Default Performance upgrades for V6??

I just purchased a BBK Cold Air Intake - can anyone recommend some other relatively inexpensive performance upgrades for the V6? My budget is somewhat tight, so I'm looking for things like ignition coil upgrades and such...any help appreciated.

Thanks,
David
Old 04-30-2008, 02:18 AM
king07
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Performance upgrades for V6??

Get a good free flowing exhaust or better yet get a good tune.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:57 AM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

+1 on the exhaust. adds new character to your stang. GT-takoffs are dirt cheap, sound nice and it'll free up some extra horsies.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:43 PM
my first mustang
3rd Gear Member

Get a GT takeoff muffler first and then get a tuner from VMP, Bama or such when you get more money. The tuner is well worth the money on our V6s! Forget the ignition coil as it won't do a think for performance on a new car.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:55 AM
xyster
2nd Gear Member

I say get the tune from Bamachips first... I have heard so many good things about their tunes. I have an evo tune myself right now but am switching to bama this Friday.

Tune makes a huge difference from all of the other "cheaper" upgrades.

If you get exhaust, I recommend just going straight to duals. Singles aren't bad, but I love my FRPP's and wouldn't trade them for any single. They are nice and deep. When you get on it, even from far away it kind of takes you off guard. It's not whiney or raspy, just good and throaty broaaaaaapp all the way. I had my dad test drive my car around so I could hear how they would sound from far away. When he got on it, I couldn't believe it was my car making that sound. Idle is great. Drone on highway is MINIMAL (and that is saying a bit much).

I did have a single MRT Aeroturbine which was REALLY NICE and extremely loud. The feel of when you put it on was very enjoyable as well. It would set off car alarms from a block or so away. It would also make thatlawnmower sitting next to you crap his pants and miss the gas pedal at the green light.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:51 AM
cam2904
4th Gear Member

Make sure you get a tune with the intale. Nobody what anyone says. The BBK CAI requires a tune.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:37 PM
musicheadt
3rd Gear Member

Switch to a FULL SYNTHETIC oil. I recommend Amsoil. approx. ($60.00)

Also, if you are researching low cash mods (like I did), the throttle body spacer upgrade you may have seen is considered to be worthless by many people here, me included.

Your first step should be a GT takeoff muffler ($40.00? off ebay or the classifieds) self installed.

The BBK DOES REQUIRE a tune, especially if you get it with a throttle body spacer.

You may want to invest in a K/N drop in filter($45.00) as a temporary mod, if you can't swing a tuner right now.

Basically when the size of your air intakes surface area (MAF housing "tube" and throttle body combined) changes from stock size, a tune is required. The "tube" on the BB&K CAI is larger than stock, and the larger conical filter will allow more airflow through that larger tube, therefore requiring a tune to make the best power over the stock Air/Fuel ratio. Your car MAY NOT "lean out" with this setup, and throw fault codes to your cars computer....(but I'd bet a shorty antenna mod to you that it will)....

I know it definately wont give you the most power/performance gain without a tune to adjust your air/fuel ratio though.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:50 PM
addison85
2nd Gear Member

Rear end gear upgrade. Just got mine recently (3.73s). Costs about $700-1000. CAI/tune + gears = ultimate performance upgrade besides F/I.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:02 PM
08V6

Thanks everyone - great suggestions - I think I will start with the GT take off muffler - any concerns about back pressure? I've heard that V6s need back pressure - and that duals may actually result in less horses?

Thanks
Old 05-02-2008, 01:19 AM
S197 4u2nv

i heard the same but a friend of mine has an H w/ flowmaster 40's on his and he doesn't notice any change in power...but then again he hasn't put on a dyno yet...even still if there was a loss it wasn't much to really notice...i dont really know w/ mine since i have other modss done some of which was before the H and flows...