Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Got the Zex kit installed!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 07:59 PM
JimC

Default Got the Zex kit installed!

I spoke with a couple of friends who installed the Zex kit and they didn't use the resistor that I asked about so I went ahead with the install.

Since I got the Mustang back on Friday night, and have knee surgery in the morning, I decided I really needed to get this Zex kit installed and tested this weekend. Finished it up in between my wife asking me to go look at some houses with her (she keeps thinking about remodeling, and then about getting a place on either the river or the lake - we'll see).

Got everything on, tested, and no leaks and the electrical connections all work. I don't have the window switch on yet, still trying to figure out where and how to even mount the big MSD unit, but the Zex had to learn wide open throttle before putting the window switch on anyway. I figure if I can't get it done by July 29, Lidio should be able to still tune the car and I can put the window switch in afterwards. I also need to finish up the blow down tube yet.

The Speed of Sound cup holder switch plate looks great, but the wiring keeps pushing it up and I haven't been able to resolve that yet. I can't get my hand under it to push the wiring back through the hole I drilled as I put it in place. I also noticed that the arming button wiring is not on the key so I have to be sure I don't accidentally turn it on or leave it on when I go to the track.

Put the purge line so it looks like the Pony is snorting when I hit the purge

I also discovered that I am the third owner apparently of this C&L intake, there were two other spots where it looks like a nitrous nozzle had been installed.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:01 PM
JimC

Default RE: Got the Zex kit installed!

I need to clean up the wiring still - probably going to use a plastic wire loom to cover it all.

This is the MSD window switch, it is a big unit and toowide and longto screw into the shock tower
Old 07-21-2008, 03:44 AM
CommanderCOOL
2nd Gear Member

ok. im jealous. you are going to have to help me out when i install my zex kit!
Old 07-21-2008, 06:35 AM
JimC

I was surprised at how easy it actually turned out to be. Lay everything out and do a quick mock up first. Figuring out where to mount everything takes time, and getting the window switch in and properly installed is going to be a challenge because the wire I need to tap for the RPM signal is pretty tight.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:46 PM
samv1368
3rd Gear Member

Lookin good man, take a pic of that purge, that will look sick! How much does this actually increase your track time?
Old 07-22-2008, 02:20 PM
JimC

I haven't had a chance to run it yet. Laid up this week following knee surgery, and then on Tuesday it goes to Lidio at Alternative Auto for a nitrous specific track tune (and to update my daily driving 89 octane tune) so will run it after Lidio tunes it and I get the window switch in. Friends have predicted I will be 1 second quicker, so we'll see. I hope to have the window switch in and to run it for the first time on August 2.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:30 PM
7STANG
99GTverts minion

Sorry about the knee Jim. Hey that is really cool - can't wait to see it at the track. Now you will be faster than me.[] Did you say what shot you are running?
Old 07-22-2008, 06:25 PM
downriverT
3rd Gear Member

Looks good Jim. Especially the cup holder panel other people I know have that kit and there are just switches everywhere in there car. I see a full second being pulled out of your times.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:56 AM
JimC

Thanks, I like the cupholder switch like you said Mike, much cleaner install. And John, I'm doing a 75 shot. Not willing to go higher than that, everything says that seems to be the safest level for the 4.0. Should be an interesting match up next time Mike!
Old 07-23-2008, 01:54 PM
7STANG
99GTverts minion

ORIGINAL: JimC

Thanks, I like the cupholder switch like you said Mike, much cleaner install. And John, I'm doing a 75 shot. Not willing to go higher than that, everything says that seems to be the safest level for the 4.0. Should be an interesting match up next time Mike!
Oh boy I can't wait to see you guys go down the track against eachother![8D]

Quick Reply: Got the Zex kit installed!