MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.0L V6 Technical Discussions (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-0l-v6-technical-discussions-66/)
-   -   intercooler pump? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-0l-v6-technical-discussions/485375-intercooler-pump.html)

casperorr 09-26-2008 02:47 AM

intercooler pump?

I am not sure where to post this topic, so I thought I would try here. I have a 2007 Mustang GT with a Saleen SuperCharger + 475 kit. When the SC was installed, there was a modification necessary to raise the coolant pump about 1" higher in the mount, but my installer didn't get that info.
My wife drove my car the other day out of town about a 1 hour drive one way. Evidently, due to the pump wires hanging below the front bumper approximately 1", when she parked the car, the wire must have gotten knocked off on a parking curb or something.
Anyway, my question is, since she drove the car home under normal driving conditions on the highway with the intercooler unpluged, could it have hurt my engine or SC? I noticed the wires immediately in the morning and did the modification myself and raised the pump so that the wires did not hang below the bumper, preventing this from happening again. The car seems fine, no changes in driving or engine performance. Any ideas or comments are welcome on this issue.

Thanks,
Keith

sactown 09-26-2008 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by casperorr (Post 5484670)
I am not sure where to post this topic, so I thought I would try here. I have a 2007 Mustang GT with a Saleen SuperCharger + 475 kit. When the SC was installed, there was a modification necessary to raise the coolant pump about 1" higher in the mount, but my installer didn't get that info.
My wife drove my car the other day out of town about a 1 hour drive one way. Evidently, due to the pump wires hanging below the front bumper approximately 1", when she parked the car, the wire must have gotten knocked off on a parking curb or something.
Anyway, my question is, since she drove the car home under normal driving conditions on the highway with the intercooler unpluged, could it have hurt my engine or SC? I noticed the wires immediately in the morning and did the modification myself and raised the pump so that the wires did not hang below the bumper, preventing this from happening again. The car seems fine, no changes in driving or engine performance. Any ideas or comments are welcome on this issue.

Thanks,
Keith

No it should not have hurt the engine or the SC unless it was incredible hot outside and she was drive like a nut case. I did the samething to my pump backing out of the drive, ripped the damn wires right out. How did you raise the pump?

BWfVA 09-26-2008 08:56 AM

Well I think you were ok, I might have killed performance some at the time but I dont think it would have suffered any long term damage. I would worry but I am not a SC expert either

casperorr 09-27-2008 01:16 AM

It is not too hard, just a pain in the butt having to take the front body apart again. You will see immediately where you need to notch out the pump bracket. I used a small hand grinder. It took no time at all to notch and reinstall the pump bracket. Most of the work is in taking the front bumper and facia off. hope this helps, and thank you all for the replies.

Keith