Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

V6 Looking for more Performance

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 02:20 PM
Black Mamba GTT
4th Gear Member

actually I think the best mod for the money is turbo or supercharger for the ratio of power / money.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:56 PM
my first mustang
3rd Gear Member

YES, you will definatly be able to break the wheels loose with a good tune on your car and a t-lok rear should be on your list too but you should get this mod FIRST. You don't get a computer but a tuner that reflashes it with more performance minded calibrations. Very easy to use and takes minutes to install & change tunes. The automatic transmissions on our V6 Mustang is calibrated to make wheel spin very hard even with the traction control off. The tuner will turn that off in the computer, add HP(20-25)as well as make the shifts much firmer. vmptuning.com has a great tuner/CAI package for $479.00. As for mileage my car consistently gets 18-20 mpg around town & 26-28 on the highway. I've even had one tank at 29.1 mpg. This is the best bang for the buck mod there is for the V6 Mustang! Supercharging & turbos are nice but not everybody has $3-5,000. You will like what the tuner does for your Mustang. You should also get some sort of performance exhaust if you don't have one all ready. Even a single GT takeoff muffler is sufficent. GOOD LUCK!
Old 10-27-2008, 03:06 PM
4LITER6
3rd Gear Member

I would do the X-Charger and some gears..........
Old 10-27-2008, 04:18 PM
RPM3DINC
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the input everyone!

Here is the mods I have done thus far...

Full Cervini's C500 kit with Air-Ram Hood (yes, working Air-Ram with K&N Filter)...

Dual Side Exhaust from Cervini's...

According to Cervini's all that basically added 35HP when the AIR-RAM kicks in at 40MPH...

I don't think I can have a CAI with my Air-Ram Hood... That is why I was looking at the "Computer" er.. Tuner...

The one I was looking at was the SCT Mustang LiveWire Tuner (96-08):
http://www.americanmuscle.com/sct-li...600-tuner.html

Mainly because I am not a mechanic and it looks easy to use...

Everyone is saying X-Cal though... is this what you are talking about?
SCT Mustang XCalibrator 2 Tuner (96-09)
http://www.americanmuscle.com/sct-x2-tuner.html

What is the major difference between these two Tuners?

I would like to be as simple as possible, and be able to easily add HP or Gas Mileage as needed...
Old 10-27-2008, 05:07 PM
lurkmoar
1st Gear Member

The livewire costs about $200 more than the x-cal 3. It looks like it is designed to be mounted on the car, where as the x-cal is not(there are probably a few more differences as well). If I were you I would purchase one of these

B@ma

VMP

Brenspeed

Evolution

I think they all have the livewire too if you want that.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:31 PM
pthurm_28
2nd Gear Member

go to bama, and torque helps more than hp when doing a burn out
Old 10-27-2008, 05:54 PM
RPM3DINC
1st Gear Member

I guess the main question would be which is better for the money...

I assume that because the Livewire Tuner is so new nobody has tried it, and or they get better results with the X-Caliber...

is my assumption wrong, or does one tuner really do better than the others... I would assume they all do pretty much the same thing... just by different manufacturers...

maybe I am wrong? Sorry kinda a "Newbe" to this whole "tunning thing"...
Old 10-27-2008, 06:29 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

35 hp with the cervini kit? sorry, but hard to believe dude.

either way, you definitely need a custom tuner. a tuner with only the manufacturers default tunes fall short of custom tune files from tuner shops. bama, vmp, evolution, brenspeed, etc. those shops should be a good starting point. good luck.

*by the way, cool company. so u basically create digital presentations before the graphics go into real production onto the car?

i pretty much did the same project on a lambo gallardo for my company only using pshop and illustrator. of course it wasnt in cool looking 3d but i took photos at every angle and applied the pre-designed vector graphics in pshop to present to the president before it actually got wrapped. VERY fun designing car graphics for sure!!!

Last edited by Sancho805; 10-27-2008 at 06:39 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:23 PM
Bails
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by RPM3DINC
I don't think I can have a CAI with my Air-Ram Hood...
I have the same hood with the kit too. I asked here if a CAI would fit with the kit and everyone said that it should. You can e-mail Cervini's and ask them to double check.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:23 PM
davesyo
2nd Gear Member

With my stock v6 manual with ninosport duals , drop the clutch and you can smoke the tires through 1st gear and chirp 2nd

Quick Reply: V6 Looking for more Performance