Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

V6 Looking for more Performance

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 09:45 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

A stock v6 can do a burnout easily (there is only one tire to burn).. and it's actually easier to do it in an auto.

Unfortunately, your hood gave you little, if any, gain in HP. The only quick way to get that much HP gain is with a CAI and tune. In your case, you may want to email bamachips or vmp to see if they can write a tune for your ram air setup. You might be surprised what a 93 octane tune will do for your car.

The livewire and xcal3 are basically the same thing with regard to tunes.. the only difference is that the livewire will give you live data.. They both will upload the same tunes to your car..... That said, the best bang for your buck will be a simple Xcal + tune combo from the tuners mentioned above.

Again.. the ram air hood is not going to do anything with our a proper tune. For the best gains, you really need to get the car custom tuned, or get an xcal+tune combo.

After that, you will be very happy with a new rear end (4.10 or 3.73) with a t-lok.

Getting a supercharger or turbo will of course give you the biggest gains.. but they will also cost you a minimum of 4 grand without installation.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:43 AM
illin
3rd Gear Member

Car looks great...but, it was faster the day you drove it home than it is now. The mods you have add nothing (measurable) to power and you have added significant weight. There is no way around the math.

A tuner WILL make the car feel dramatically snappier and remove the lethargic V6 factory feel, but it sounds as if you want more...

So, you can either go FI (but you need to move your decimal point to your budget one more digit) or go with THE best $/HP mod available and add N2O. There is no peer when it comes to bang for the buck.

Here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Aq-KyaLXvA

A 75 shot will get you the juice you need and the cost is not too far out of your price range.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:48 AM
RPM3DINC
1st Gear Member

Straight from Cervini's Website:

"Our exhaust system will add approximately 8-10 horsepower to your vehicle. Our ram-air kit will also add about another 8-10 horsepower. I would estimate the K&N filter to give you anywhere from 3 to 6 horsepower. I would estimate an overall gain of 19 to 26hp with your current boltons. "

V6 Mustang comes with 210 Stock... 210 + the HIGH end of +26HP = 236 total HP... (So I was wrong in saying 35, sorry)

Obviously that can argued...

Added Weight? Maybe with the RIMS, but I traded a Metal Hood for a Fiberglass one, and the front end for a front end (might weigh a 10lbs more, maybe).. and the exhaust system can't add that much weight compared the stock... I would think I took off weight? maybe I am wrong on that too...

The reason I am asking about the Livewire is because of the read-outs... To see what I am actually getting so I can see what the Tune does in a sense, rather than put in a tune, drive it and hope I am getting what the tune is supposed to give me... I like seeing the information, but at the same time if I get that and don't see a difference, and everyone says well, you should have gotten a Xcal or B@ma... Can I take the Same Tunes, and use them with the Livewire, or there are tunes specifically make for each of these "Tunners" and one tunner can't read a Tune file from other tunners?

You all have experience with it, and more than likely with multiple tuners...

In the end I will get the more popular Tuner that you all think I should get...

Right now its XCal

How easy are these things to hook up? Any tools needed?

Last edited by RPM3DINC; 10-28-2008 at 07:57 AM.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:10 AM
RPM3DINC
1st Gear Member

Called American Muscle, they were extremly helpful, and basically said this is what I need:

4.10 Gear
Steeda CAI
Tuner (was up to me, they have a XCAL SF3 package with a CAI, or I could get the LiveWire...

So bascially $753 (with the XCal Package)
or $995 with the LiveWire Tuner

They said since I had a "Auto" A T-lok wouldn't really do much...

So basically exactly what everyone was telling me to begin with... LOL Not that I didn't believe anyone, you guys know you are doing for sure! Main reason I called was to ask about the livewire Vs. the XCal tuners... but decided to ask on the other stuff anyways

I want to thank everyone for your help and input! Looks like its time to start saving some $$$
Old 10-28-2008, 09:41 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Originally Posted by RPM3DINC
Called American Muscle, they were extremly helpful, and basically said this is what I need:

4.10 Gear
Steeda CAI
Tuner (was up to me, they have a XCAL SF3 package with a CAI, or I could get the LiveWire...

So bascially $753 (with the XCal Package)
or $995 with the LiveWire Tuner

They said since I had a "Auto" A T-lok wouldn't really do much...

I disagree with that advice. Regardless of transmission, if you have 4.10:1 gears installed, then spinning the tire will be easier to do and you'd want the added benefit of an LSD. Plus, if you are paying to have 4.10's installed, then you can have the LSD installed at the same time.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:20 AM
afixer
5th Gear Member

Justin
i have to agree with bill on this one. from first hand experience i have an auto with the t-loc installed but kept the stock gears. i wish i would have gone with the 3.73's but at the time of the install we were going to use my car for the Carb cert for the x-charger and the gears need to be stock. the car is a lot stickier with both tire hooking up but on the other hand when she comes loose in the rain or such you need to drive the car ! or you will be in a front wheel drive vehicle LOL.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:26 AM
RPM3DINC
1st Gear Member

10-4 I will look into the LSD as well...

Looks like with the 4.10 Gears, the Ford Racing 7.5" 28 Spline Traction - LOK Limited Slip Differential, and the LiveWire Tuner I am looking at roughly $1,500 installed and ready to go... Ford Dealer said roughly $500 for install of gears and LSD...

Last edited by RPM3DINC; 10-28-2008 at 10:37 AM.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:52 AM
RyanMacrum
1st Gear Member

4:10 gears, CAI, Tune, and TLok and you will like your burn outs.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:55 AM
Black Mamba GTT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by RPM3DINC
Straight from Cervini's Website:

"Our exhaust system will add approximately 8-10 horsepower to your vehicle. Our ram-air kit will also add about another 8-10 horsepower. I would estimate the K&N filter to give you anywhere from 3 to 6 horsepower. I would estimate an overall gain of 19 to 26hp with your current boltons. "

V6 Mustang comes with 210 Stock... 210 + the HIGH end of +26HP = 236 total HP... (So I was wrong in saying 35, sorry)

Obviously that can argued...

Added Weight? Maybe with the RIMS, but I traded a Metal Hood for a Fiberglass one, and the front end for a front end (might weigh a 10lbs more, maybe).. and the exhaust system can't add that much weight compared the stock... I would think I took off weight? maybe I am wrong on that too...

The reason I am asking about the Livewire is because of the read-outs... To see what I am actually getting so I can see what the Tune does in a sense, rather than put in a tune, drive it and hope I am getting what the tune is supposed to give me... I like seeing the information, but at the same time if I get that and don't see a difference, and everyone says well, you should have gotten a Xcal or B@ma... Can I take the Same Tunes, and use them with the Livewire, or there are tunes specifically make for each of these "Tunners" and one tunner can't read a Tune file from other tunners?

You all have experience with it, and more than likely with multiple tuners...

In the end I will get the more popular Tuner that you all think I should get...

Right now its XCal

How easy are these things to hook up? Any tools needed?
First of all I highly highly doubt there hp claims with there bolt ons exspesially on a v6, they just use those numbers so people will buy their kit.

Your rims definately added weight and will hurt your performance the most. But sometimes you have to sacrafice performance for looks unless you want to spend some serious cash. And you might have added a lil weight with the hood cause my fiberglass hood was bout as heavy if not heavier than my stock hood.

And for the tune you should have a shop perfessionally tune it without the handhelds. You will see more power that way and make your car run at the highest performance it can.

Also if you are every planning on going FI. Then don't waste your money on any of this cause you will have to do it all over again. Get mods that support the FI like long tubes and gears DEFINATELY get a tlok. I am just telling you from my experience. Good luck!!
Old 10-28-2008, 12:09 PM
RPM3DINC
1st Gear Member

All these Acronims... FI? Fuel Injection?

Quick Reply: V6 Looking for more Performance