Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Changing 5-speed transmission oil

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 07:08 AM
UltraKla$$ic
3rd Gear Member

Default Changing 5-speed transmission oil

I need some input please. I just purchase a sweet 2006 Mustang w/4.0 V-6 5-speed and I want to change the transmission oil in it. I'd like to use a REDLINE MT-90 oil if possible.

Is changing the oil something a DIY'er can do? I've changed my manual transmission oil on my Honda Accord many times without an issue and just wondering if changing the Mustang's transmission oil is just as easy.

Secondly, is the Redline product one that you guys would use and if not, what do you guys recommend?

TIA
Old 11-06-2008, 07:14 AM
UltraKla$$ic
3rd Gear Member

Amazing what using the Search Function turns up. LOL!!

OK, so what about the use of Redline? I use it for my Harley, just wondering if it's the shiznits for the Stang.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:09 AM
iROK24/7
2nd Gear Member

DON'T DO IT!

I just changed the tranny fluid in my 4.0 V6 using 2 quarts of Mobil1 Synthetic 75-140 gear lube and one quart of Lucas Synthetic Manual transmission additive. These products are MUCH heavier viscosity than the recommended ATF; I wanted to try this to see if it quieted the noisy T5.. however it seems to have the opposite effect; it's noisier & doesn't shift as easily!

So... back to the drawing board! I'm draining it again today to replace it with Royal Purple Synchromax.. according to what I'm reading after making this mistake, the lighter ATF fluid designed specifically for modern manual transmissions is actually better for your synchros and gas milege.

Live & Learn.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:24 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Im completely lost here....why the hell are you putting GEAR OIL in your tranny??

They make transmission fluid and you even stated that how much heavier the 74-140 lube was. That is the same stuff you put in your differential.

Synchromax or any MERCON fluid is for your tranny.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:18 PM
iROK24/7
2nd Gear Member

Matt, you seem to have read what I wrote, yet you somehow missed the answer to the question you asked.. "I wanted to try this to see if it quieted the noisy T5.." and "I'm draining it again today to replace it with Royal Purple Synchromax"

Just posting this to help others..

Last edited by iROK24/7; 11-17-2008 at 12:37 PM.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:56 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

No i read and understand what you were doing, but i still dont know why even try something that might screw up the car. On this forum there have been some pretty interesting things people have "tried".

1. put sand in the engine for the "port and polish"
2. ran water instead of oil to "clean out the engine gunk and such"
3. Locktite on the oil drain plug
4. diesel instead of gas because it was cheaper and thought they would get better mileage

and so forth. These people actually though they were doing things that were OK to the car.

I am glad you noticed the mistake right away before something went wrong.

Last edited by howarmat; 11-17-2008 at 01:59 PM.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:27 PM
iROK24/7
2nd Gear Member

OK, thanks Matt... LOL! Wow, I'd never have thought anyone could do those things!

What I was doing was just "an experiment" and as soon as I realized it didn't work, I knew I'd be back under the car today re-doing it!

BTW, after following a "How-to" write up someone did, I realized that you don't HAVE to run the filler hose through the shifter boot... you can just as easily reach the tranny filler hole by running the hose from under the hood on the passenger side of the engine... you need a longer hose, but it's a LOT less MESSY!
Old 11-17-2008, 05:17 PM
Paleoc
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by howarmat

1. put sand in the engine for the "port and polish"
2. ran water instead of oil to "clean out the engine gunk and such"
3. Locktite on the oil drain plug
4. diesel instead of gas because it was cheaper and thought they would get better mileage
1. You have to change the grit from coarse down through fine to get a good polish on the ports.
2. Water alone won't do the trick. You need to add some detergent, something like Tide to get all the dirty gunk out.
3. Now this is a problem. You can't just do the oil drain plug and ignore the oil filter. Put some locktite on that puppy too! Doh!
4. Diesel doesn't have the cleaning additives like gasoline, that's why it smells so bad. Some more laundry detergent (one of the scented ones, I like the Spring Breeze scent) is in order here.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:08 PM
UltraKla$$ic
3rd Gear Member

I used Royal Purple Synchromax since it is readily available. The job was a piece of cake since I had the info from the thread I posted and thank God for it because the fill plug is ten miles away from where you enter the stick shift area to access it. Good thing I purchased 3ft of tubing to use to fill the tranny.

As for the rest of those "tips" I might try them.........................

right before I sell it!
Old 11-18-2008, 11:35 AM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

tremec recomends Merc III/dex 2 or GM synchrmesh, they do NOT recomend full synthetic like FORD does.

Quick Reply: Changing 5-speed transmission oil