Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

ABS and Traction control light on! plz help

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 02:23 PM
ericyo

Default ABS and Traction control light on! plz help

not sure if this is the right spot to post my question but i have an 05 mustang v6 convertible and on tuesday the shaker 500 powered off on its own and reset itself... then i got to walmart turned the car off and when i came back i heard something ab-normal on how it started, turned it off and turned it back on and it seem to have trouble starting then i turned it off tried it again and the dash wasnt on but the radio was 7 seconds later dash turns on. no probs after that then today (friday) i was driving to my parents house... radio went off again and now i have the ABS light and Traction control light are on... i reffered to the manual and it says that a malfunction has been detected service vechile... is this something i can take care of? or do i need to pay an arm and a leg to get this fixed? battery s not a year old... but when i got to my parents house i rolled the windows up but they went really really slow... battery recharge? any help will help thanks.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:35 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

A code scanner is a worthwhile investment. They run between 50-100 bucks and can be VERY helpful in determining what's going on with the car. At this point, without a code you're spinning your wheels in trying to figure out what's wrong.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:37 PM
ericyo

i'll head over to autozone and get the code thanks for the response... in the mean while any other answers would be helpful. thanks
Old 12-05-2008, 06:08 PM
ericyo

Ok went over to autozone to see if I can get a code... no luck due to no actua service engine soon light, the guy tried it anyway and it said no code found... so I went back home and I turned off the car and tried turning it back on and now its not turning on at all. I just get a fast paced click... so I hooked it up to some jumper cables and it turned on... but everything electronic in the car (radio, lights, windows ect) still didn't work soooo I couldn't even switch to drive or reverse. Oh its an automatic btw... sooo bad battery or alternator?
Old 12-05-2008, 06:41 PM
danbevsv6rumbler
3rd Gear Member

sounds like a dead battery.

if you have the orginal motorcraft battery you might need a new one... this just happened to me the other day.

if its NOT a maintenance-free battery then you, like me, most likely didn't check the water level in the battery, and now the battery has become a short. In other words its toast...

So start with the battery.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:14 PM
ericyo

yea im starting to think its the battery also... just 10 min ago i tried turning it on. no luck still so when i turn on the headlight everything starts flickering in the car... looks like the car is possessed... the battery i have is less than a year... its not the factory one... but my dad has an extra battery at his house so hes gona come by my house tomorrow and we will try puttin the new battery and see what happens if it starts and stays in then im gona take the dead battery and get it warranty replaced at autozone. but i will post up as soon as i try the battery and keep u guys informed thanks for the help... il post up again 2morrow.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:18 PM
ericyo

ok so it was the alternator.... the regulator is not working.... sooo where do you guys think i can get a cheap one? im a little short on cash thanks to the holidays.