Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

8.8 Rear - DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 12:03 AM
my first mustang
3rd Gear Member

It's not really that hard to do. I did it by myself and only had one small problem so 3 people should be much easier. It's basically just remove and replace anyway. There is NO need to bleed the brakes and the ABS rear makes no difference so it will work just fine in your car. Is is heavy and bulky thought so have a good floor jack and use jack stands under the car. The only special tool you MIGHT need is a rear brake caliper piston tool($15.00 at local auto parts)to PUSH & TURN the rear brake caliper piston. Sometimes it's very hard to get the caliper & brake pads back on over the rotor and pushing the piston in makes the job very easy. Also be sure to check the fluid level in the rear. It was suppose to be full but wasn't. Don't forget the Ford T-Lok additive. You will love the 2 wheel traction and added acceleration of the 3.73s.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:29 AM
MR305
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by AlloySixxer
What type of shop should I go to?
don't go a performance shop to swap the rear end.. it is a simple job but need the right jacks to lift the supper heavy 8.8 rear end that every simple mechanic has.. I'll say keep looking until find one that will do it for like $200.. now if you and your friends think you can handle it, go for it... as everyone has said, it is not rocket science..
Old 01-05-2009, 08:10 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

All good advice so far. I would also add that you can use small/sturdy furniture dollies to set each end of the rear into. It makes it alot easier to move the rear(s) around.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:23 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

+1 on the dolly...simply lower onto (or raise up from) it and roll around the rear end.
I made my own out of a 2x6, 2 1x4's, and 4 strong castors: (only one of the castors is partially showing, the others are hidden under the 1x4s)

Old 01-14-2009, 01:36 AM
Mr. Ugly
3rd Gear Member

Yep, jack stands, floor jacks, and dollies. I did mine that way by myself in my garage.

With 3 people, it should be even easier.

Yah, and no need to open the brake lines or anything. Borrow the caliper piston tool from Autozone. You'll have to give them a deposit that you get back when you return the tool.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:17 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

That;s if you need to push the calipers back when you put the brakes back on; I didnt have to, but I used the same brake pads and rotors.

But good point, just be careful of your brake lines, and especially if you have any rear wheel sensors! It's easy to rip them right out if you aren't careful.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:26 PM
jdphillips73
4th Gear Member

also, you dont have to have a "special" tool to push the piston back in on the caliper. you can just use a regular c clamp that is big enough.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:16 AM
my first mustang
3rd Gear Member

No you can't as the piston has to be turned & pushed at the same time. A C-clamp is useless!
Old 01-15-2009, 12:48 PM
The Potato
3rd Gear Member

I use a regular c-clamp to press down the piston on my dad's truck's brakes so I can change the pads. I've been doing it for a while now.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:47 PM
schapman
4th Gear Member

I bet your dads truck doesnt have anti-lock brakes. any car that has anti-lock brakes needs to turn the rear caliper piston to get them to go back in.

Originally Posted by The Potato
I use a regular c-clamp to press down the piston on my dad's truck's brakes so I can change the pads. I've been doing it for a while now.

Quick Reply: 8.8 Rear - DIY?