Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

HOW TO: V6 dual GT mufflers w/ pics

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 12:30 AM
68XR7
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: HOW TO: V6 dual GT mufflers w/ pics

I admit, it's kind of a weird question, but I've been dumping out quite a bit of extra income lately and it might be a little while before I can afford an X cal. I'm sure that most guys, these days, probably go for retunes first. When I started, headers were a basic staple. Always one of the very first things that you did.

Old 11-04-2006, 10:35 AM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Black06stang

I am pretty sure that a tune is not required for jba shorty headers, but I am not sure. I do know that a tuner is the best way to maximize the hp gains from the shorty headers.
You do not have to retune for headers.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:13 PM
SOLDSHORT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rygenstormlocke

I am pretty sure that a tune is not required for jba shorty headers, but I am not sure. I do know that a tuner is the best way to maximize the hp gains from the shorty headers.
i thought you didn't have to retune for shortys but had to for long tube?
Old 11-04-2006, 07:38 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SOLDSHORT

ORIGINAL: rygenstormlocke

i thought you didn't have to retune for shortys but had to for long tube?
You need to relocate the 02 sensors, as close to the collector as possible and disable the 2nd bank of 02 sensors. Not exactly a retune, but its not a simple bolt on.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:47 PM
SOLDSHORT
5th Gear Member

ah, i see.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:15 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SOLDSHORT

ah, i see.
yea, I knew there was a 02 sensor issue with long tubes. So I called around and got the details. I can't take the credit. LOL.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:53 PM
68XR7
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: V6 dual GT mufflers how-to w/ pics

Tres, I loved the thread. I contacted Kevin. The new price is $39.22 for the hangers. If anyone is interested. You can get them for $35. plus shipping. email Dave Redman at; lpc@withamauto.com
Old 11-17-2006, 12:26 AM
68XR7
2nd Gear Member

I noticed that the bolts that hold the vibration damper on the old V6 muffler are the same as the ones that hold the muffler hangers to the frame. I figured that I might as well use them, I'll probably throw the old muffler out anyway. If you save the 2 extra bolts from the extra hanger (as mentioned before) and save the 2 bolts that are attached to the original muffler damper assembly, you will have enough bolts to install both hangers on the left side. Also, prior to cuttin' my bumper (I used a Dremel, too) I put masking tape over the area to be removed. This did two things. First it protected the area from unintentional nicks and scratches while doing the work. Second, it made a great marking surface to draw the marks for the hole. I made the initial cut, staying about 1/4" inside of the line. Then, using an electric drill with a drum sander attachment, I expanded the hole to it's finished dimensions. Then I removed the leftover tape. This gave me a perfectly shaped hole with no paint chips or imperfections of any kind. Dave
Old 01-26-2007, 10:55 PM
Smokin06Pony

Hi All,
I have a 06 Pony and I'm going to change to dual exhaust - need some muscle sound! I read all your posts - very helpful. I don't know crap about which is the best muffler although I have heard good things about the Magna Flow. What would be the best duals to buy to convert the Pony to a dual? I am going to have the shop put it in so any info on what the cost might be on that would be helpful too.

Thanks,

Old 01-26-2007, 11:54 PM
Trill Gear Head
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Smokin06Pony

Hi All,
I have a 06 Pony and I'm going to change to dual exhaust - need some muscle sound! I read all your posts - very helpful. I don't know crap about which is the best muffler although I have heard good things about the Magna Flow. What would be the best duals to buy to convert the Pony to a dual? I am going to have the shop put it in so any info on what the cost might be on that would be helpful too.

Thanks,

It rises AGAIN!!!!!!! you can get a jba H-pipe system which includes everything, but the cheapest way is w/ GT-Takeoffs. Use the search button, its your friend!!!

Quick Reply: HOW TO: V6 dual GT mufflers w/ pics