Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

HOW TO: V6 dual GT mufflers w/ pics

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 11:24 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

Default HOW TO: V6 dual GT mufflers w/ pics

This project started out when I bought a pair of GT mufflers off of Cascotech on eBay. The right side muffler is a simple bolt-on, and I figured why let the left one go to waste?

To mount the right side muffler, remove the existing muffler (unbolt 3 brackets and the pinch clamp at the exhaust) and mount the new muffler using two of the existing brackets. Save the two bolts from the 3rd bracket. I slipped the muffler over the exhaust pipe loose and bolted the brackets in place, then tightened up the pinch clamp.

The left muffler is a bit more tricky. First I used tracing paper to make a template of the right side opening. I lined the top of the paper with the bodyline on the bumper and made a small registration mark at the license plate opening. Then I cut out the paper at the existing opening (see pic 1).

Next I flipped the paper and lined it up on the left side (see pic 2). I mounted the muffler brackets and held the muffler up to make sure the opening was in the right place before cutting it.

Then using a moto tool with a router bit I carved out the opening (see pic 3). I deburred the edges with a piece of sandpaper.

I mounted the brackets, pic 4 is front and pic 5 is rear. Both pics are taken from the left side. Note that the brackets can mount different than this, but if they aren't installed like this the muffler won't fit right. Ask me how I know this I used the bolts salvaged from the old right side bracket for the new front bracket. These bolts are not yet available from Ford, so for the rear bracket I went to Home Depot and got 8mm- 1 25 x 25mm bolts (zinc plated) and Grade B 5/16" zinc flat washers. This is a perfect match for the existing bolts. Note that the frame rails have UNTAPPED receiver holes for the muffler brackets. I suggest chasing them (screw the bolt in, then remove it) with the existing bolts before installing the new bolts. The existing bolts are easier to get aligned and started.

The brackets are Ford GT muffler brackets, part number 4R3Z-5A246-AA. I recommend getting them from KEvin at Clevenger Ford ( Clevparts@aol.com ). He'll know exactly what you're talking about, and his prices are a lot cheaper than your local Ford dealer.

[IMG]local://upfiles/15493/3FD06A9AF30642C0B962613C03F76A5C.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/15493/62D79C85E4354FD4BF5BA79B7F843E3F.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/15493/36F75B11210640988D78236B026CDC38.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/15493/6CEB7496B8D24ACDBADCC3AAF969348E.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/15493/7A396AA956C2419E9D9010F468D1809B.jpg[/IMG]
Old 06-04-2005, 11:35 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

Default RE: V6 dual GT mufflers how-to w/ pics

Next I slipped the muffler into the brackets to make sure it fit OK. Everything looked great! So I removed the muffler and stuck it into the trunk. I don't think it would be a good idea to drive the car with the muffler just hung from the brackets as it'll bounce around and could even fall off. The muffler can be removed without removing the brackets at this point, it just slips forward and out of the brackets.

I took the car to Midas and they did the rest. They ran a 2-1/2" pipe from the front of the muffler over the axle and up to the left headpipe. They cut into the headpipe and welded the new pipe to the opening. They had to remove the existing harmonic balancer off of the right pipe. I've driven it about 50 miles and have not noticed any new vibration (it has always had a little vibration right at 2100 RPM, it's still there but not worse).

That's it! Mainly I did this for looks, I really didn't like the single exhaust. This is a Mustang after all! It NEEDS duals, even if it is "just" a 6 It sounds much better than stock, it has a nice, deep V8 sound to it. It's definitely not as loud and throaty as a GT with an aftermarket exhaust, but it sounds very good

[IMG]local://upfiles/15493/DB6CAFF98D5242BF9685B0386207D033.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/15493/9795E8749BB0450188A8624A7AADF003.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/15493/857C7B5C510446A49C402E7515608B49.jpg[/IMG]
Old 06-04-2005, 11:35 PM
LIVNBIG
1st Gear Member

Great info..Thanks Tres...I put the GT rear bumper on my V6 for this specific purpose!
Can you tell me what Midas charged you for all that!!??

Thanks again..nice job!!
Old 06-04-2005, 11:42 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

I forgot to post prices:

Pair of GT mufflers from Cascotech on eBay- 80.00 +/- w/ shipping
Pair of GT left side muffler brackets- 35.00 each
Muffler shop work- 142.00

So the total is around 300 bucks.
Old 06-04-2005, 11:45 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

Thanks LIVNBIG, glad to help!! I forgot the prices, I just posted them.

The GT bumper is a good idea, that's one way to avoid cutting the stock valance By the way, for anyone else that's interested in a GT bumper mask Cascotech on eBay has those too (prepainted). You might have to email them for availibility. Their parts are takeoffs from GTs that are being converted into Saleens, so the parts are all new.
Old 06-05-2005, 12:26 AM
jjpony
1st Gear Member

Tres, very good information on the exhaust. I hope it works well for you. I finally decided and ordered a kit from chronicbump on ebay today. For anyone that's interested, it is item #7976770140. It's a V6 specific cat back system for about $480. I know that may be a little pricey but I wanted to be as sure as I could concerning size. Too little, too much pressure. Too much, too little pressure. This system joins the pipe coming off the existing Y pipe and then splits out into duals with mufflers. I also went ahead and ordered the Steeda cold air intake so I'm hoping to have this all on in a week or so. I have certainly learned a lot from your posts along with several others. I'll be posting pics and try to help anyone I can. Jim
Old 06-05-2005, 12:55 AM
spec24

ORIGINAL: LIVNBIG

Great info..Thanks Tres...I put the GT rear bumper on my V6 for this specific purpose!
Can you tell me what Midas charged you for all that!!??

Thanks again..nice job!!
LIVNBIG does the GT front bumpter fit on the V6 without issue?
Old 06-05-2005, 12:58 AM
LIVNBIG
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Tres Wright

Thanks LIVNBIG, glad to help!! I forgot the prices, I just posted them.

The GT bumper is a good idea, that's one way to avoid cutting the stock valance By the way, for anyone else that's interested in a GT bumper mask Cascotech on eBay has those too (prepainted). You might have to email them for availibility. Their parts are takeoffs from GTs that are being converted into Saleens, so the parts are all new.
Yeah, I think the TAKE-OFF's are the way to go if you're gonna swap bumpers, that's what I have! It's an EXACT match color and all!

Those bracket's are expensive little suckers!!!![:@]
Old 06-05-2005, 01:04 AM
LIVNBIG
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: spec24

LIVNBIG does the GT front bumpter fit on the V6 without issue?
Here ya go....

https://mustangforums.com/m_480859/tm.htm
Old 06-05-2005, 03:28 AM
ponytx
2nd Gear Member

Treeeessss your such a pimp!!! [sm=pimp.gif]

That looks great!!! I'm jealous, that is my next mod, once I find the time and money. Moreso, the time.

Quick Reply: HOW TO: V6 dual GT mufflers w/ pics